Audio & Video Software

Question

iTunes 11. How do I get new music onto my iPhone?

by Shazzawonga / December 14, 2012 5:59 PM PST

Hi,
I'm having troubles putting new music onto my iPhone via the way I used to do it on the old iTunes. I used to drag my 'recently added' playlist straight onto the iPhone in the side menu. Now the iPhone doesn't appear in the side menu, and it doesn't appear to be able to receive this playlist via the dragging method I adopt. I know I can choose to sync it, but this will wipe all previously added songs and just have the 'recently added' playlist in my itunes. Does anyone know how I can get my recently added playlist into the iPhone while adding to all previously added songs?

Cheers

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: iTunes 11. How do I get new music onto my iPhone?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: iTunes 11. How do I get new music onto my iPhone?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Doing that right now is the least of your problems.
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / December 14, 2012 10:09 PM PST

First you will have to address the reason for the iPhone not appearing in the side bar.
One assumes, possibly incorrectly, that you do actually have a side bar visible in iTunes 11. The reason I mention that is because the side bar is not visible by default in the new version.

To make it appear, launch iTunes and go to the Menu Bar, where it says File, Edit, View, etc.
Choose edit and select Show Sidebar.

Now can you see your iPhone?

Now the next problem. The playlist, "Recently Added", is it one created by you or one of the built-in ones?
If it is a built in one, then the only tracks that are in there will be the ones that are "recently add", as the name suggests.
If you created it, then it could have ALL your tracks in it.

Suggestion: Create a Playlist specifically for your iPhone. Drag everything you want on the iPhone, into it. Connect the iPhone, and set the Preferences so that iTunes only Syncs that one specific Playlist.
Then do a Sync.
Not only does this backup your iPhone, in the case of an iPhone failure or software glitch, it does not remove anything from the iPhone and copies any track or app that you have purchased via the iPhone, in to iTunes.

Only items that are in that Playlist are moved to the iPhone.

P

Collapse -
Unable to see iPod on iTunes.
by carol7a / January 13, 2013 12:35 AM PST

Having updated to the latest iTunes I can no longer see the Menu Bar where it says File, Edit, View etc. This means I cannot see my iPod and there transfer music. Can you solve my problem?

Thanks,

Collapse -
Re: iTunes 11 menu bar
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 13, 2013 12:40 AM PST
https://www.google.com/search?q=itunes+11+menu+bar finds a lot of very helpful posts about how to get it back and about the changes in iTunes 11 in general.

Do you know google? It's really a very good tool to use if you want to know something like this.

Kees
Collapse -
iTunes 11
by carol7a / January 14, 2013 3:05 AM PST
In reply to: Re: iTunes 11 menu bar

Thank you Kees. That has solved my problem.

Collapse -
Deleting music from iPod
by carol7a / January 16, 2013 11:47 PM PST
In reply to: iTunes 11

How do I delete music from my iPod? I want to delete a number of albums and then replace with newer tracks. Since upgrading to iTunes 11 I can't see how to do this.

Thanks.

Collapse -
Just remove the tracks that you want
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 17, 2013 5:48 AM PST

off the iPod, from the playlist that the iPod syncs with.
Then add the tracks that you want on the iPod to the same playlist.

Or are you one of those that puts your entire iTunes library on the iPod?

P

Collapse -
Removing music from iPod
by carol7a / January 17, 2013 5:36 PM PST

When I attach the iPod it shows up in the sidebar and when I click on it the summary comes up but it doesn't show the music that is on the iPod. I only want to delete some tracks and replace with newer ones.
Thanks.

Collapse -
I just told you how to do that.
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 17, 2013 9:02 PM PST

If you click on the icon in the sidebar, and use the little triangle to expand the icon you will see a list of all the tracks on the iPod.

You cannot remove anything from this list. You have to remove the track from the play list or remove the checkmark from the track in the main library.

P

Collapse -
Look under View in the menu bar
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 13, 2013 9:03 PM PST

You'll find "Show Sidebar"

P

Collapse -
how to check my music on my iphone?
by n19788 / August 19, 2013 6:56 AM PDT

i already added the new music to songs but its not appering on my iphone. what do i do so i can see its on my iphone ?

Collapse -
Start a new thread with this question.
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / August 19, 2013 8:09 AM PDT

No need to hijack an old thread

P

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.