Phones

General discussion

Its amazing that im 15 and i know more about cell phones...

by wmf1489 / October 13, 2005 12:53 PM PDT

Its amazing that im 15 and i know more about cell phones than all of the employees that work at retail stores

Heres the story

My moms phone died on her last week(sharp tm150)
so i told her my advice on which one to get and which ones to stay away from. She really didnt want to take my opinion,she probably thought, why should i listen to him, hes only 15 and im sure the workers at the wireless stores will know more about phones than he does.
BOY WAS SHE WRONG

First stop: Cingular wirlesss authorized retailer.
First off, the employee didnt even get the correct manufactures name on the phones. He showed my mom the rzr v3 and said " this high quality megapixel camera phone from nokia is awesome"
so i told him
"Thats actually the motorola razr v3, and its a VGA canera phone."
then he just said " really?"

then he was trying to say the phones retailed for more than they actually do. and he was cutting us a "deal" yeah i know there just trying to make money, but come on, anyone with a brain knows that you can look online and find the msrp. So i told him the actuall msrp gor the phones he showed us. After he coudlnt take being outsmarted by a teenager. he had his boss take over. he wasnt much smarter.lol

second stop: T-Mobile authorized retailer.
Ok, when i first went in the store the guy seemed pretty inteligent. he knew which phones came out when, and who made them. he was doing good untill i started to be a smartass and ask rigorous questions about the features of the phones..lol

First my mom looked at the rzr and he right away told her to stay away from the rzr and motorola alltogether. Any cell phone freak like me knows that motorola puts out poor quality overpriced phones.
Then he showed my mom the nokia 6101. He talked about the design, and how its nokias first candy bar phone. but he failed to mention any features at all. I find it suprising that none of the salesman anywhere talked about the phones camera resolution. so thats when i started with the questioning. I asked him qustions like " i think the 6101 has a 262,000 colour display? does it?" of course he had to go look at a information sheet to find out. i also find it funny how not a single salesman mentions bluetooth, and if they do, they dont know how capable the device is with bluetooth.
So next he showed my mom the fairly new Blackberry 7100T. to be a smart *** again, i told my mom all the specs on it before he could(and by the look on his face, i could tell he was shocked that i knew so much about the phone). I was like" yeah its got a 262k color vga lcd display, speakerphone. i even said the screen resolution and all the fancy stuff.

i just thought i would share that with you guys

ALSO, IF U NEED HELP CHOOSING A CELLULAR PROVIDER,IF U HAVE ANY QUESTIONS ABOUT A DEVICE OR ANYTHING CELLULAR RELATED. JUST ASK ME Happy .I WITHER AWAY ABOUT 2 HRS A DAY RESEARCHIGN NEW PHONES AND SPECS A DAY.lol

Thanks for reading.
Replys would be awesome! Happy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Its amazing that im 15 and i know more about cell phones...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Its amazing that im 15 and i know more about cell phones...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
you need a life haha
by nawtyeravgjoe / October 13, 2005 2:36 PM PDT

im 16 and i love phones too but geez, 2 hours a day? don't you have homework and stuff? haha just kidding. i catch myself being a smart *** to the t mobile and cingular people who stop me at the mall, so i can't say anything. =)

Collapse -
Hahah thanks for the reply
by wmf1489 / October 14, 2005 3:41 AM PDT
In reply to: you need a life haha

Haha yeah i have homework and stuff, but i usually just wait till im in bed to do it. at least if dont do good in school, ill have some kind of future cuz im such a tech nerd.lol. well i really dont act like it and i still act cool . haha.

Collapse -
This is why I'll never buy from a store again
by cnet_god / February 21, 2006 2:00 PM PST

Cell phone stores wrote the book on poor service. The carrier-owned stores are no better. Under-staffed, Long lines, absolutely no training, and higher prices. It's not a formula for success. Eventually the buying public will become more comfortable with buying phones online and it will shake things up for these retail stores.

Collapse -
Amen to that...
by jbroshear / February 27, 2006 10:13 PM PST

You said it
>>>>This is why I'll never buy from a store again
Cell phone stores wrote the book on poor service. The carrier-owned stores are no better. Under-staffed, Long lines, absolutely no training, and higher prices. It's not a formula for success. Eventually the buying public will become more comfortable with buying phones online and it will shake things up for these retail stores.

Collapse -
Dear kia...
by scayf / October 14, 2005 6:57 AM PDT

Looks like you've got a bright future in mall kiosk cell phone sales when you grow up. Congrats.

Collapse -
Haha
by wmf1489 / October 14, 2005 8:27 PM PDT
In reply to: Dear kia...

Haha thx i guess.lol.
i would rather be designing the phones or become the ceo of samsung wirless or something, but a mall kiosk would be pretty cool if it paid well. lol

Collapse -
some cellular phone salesmen make upwards of $80,000 a year
by romeohifi.com / November 22, 2005 3:23 PM PST
In reply to: Haha

so go ahead and spend two hours a day, go to my site even www.cellulartraders.com , and just so you know most average people don't care about how good the camera is just as long as the phone has it

Collapse -
those losers at the store?
by jbroshear / February 27, 2006 10:17 PM PST

these guys don't even know anything about the product

Collapse -
It's not about the trivia
by wirelesswendy / March 2, 2006 6:22 AM PST
In reply to: Haha

With your attitude I don't think you'd ever be hired, no matter how many specs you can rattle off. You can forget about a $80k a year sales job - you need to be likable and from this thread I don't think you're succeeding. . I wouldn't want to be your customer, much less your employer.

Collapse -
charging Motorola phones
by ploukas / October 14, 2005 3:52 PM PDT

Since you offered help with any questions, I'd like to know if it's common to have difficulty charging Motorola phones, which I agree are not good. Placing the charger into the bottom of the phone sometimes works and sometimes doesn't - the charging gets interrupted somehow and flickers on and off. Don't know if I'm explaining it clearly, but we've found it to be true on two different Motorola phones from T-Mobile.

Collapse -
reply to Motorola Charging Problem
by wmf1489 / October 14, 2005 8:23 PM PDT

Thanks for the question.
I have had a few motorola phones in the past from different carriers and ive had the same problem. Most motorola phones are built cheaply and the charging ports come loose easily.With mine. it started to happen about 3 months after i got i. I just called up tmobile and got a new phone. For numorous reasons i always stay away from motorola.

Theres really no way to fix the problem. I just taped the power cord on mine in place so i wouldnt have that problem anymore.lol.

But if its in your budget, i would look into getting a new phone (different model) i would suggest a samsung phone. Ive had three or four samsungs and all of them have been great to me. If you just looking for a basic flip phone, i would get the samsung x-475. There are quite a few options if you looking into a camera phone. Theres the Samsung e335, the Samsung t309, Or theres the more expensive slider and swivel cam phones (Samsung e635, and the Samsung p735). I myself am waiting to get nokias new first flip phone. the 6101.

well i hope u get things sorted out and maybe youll get a cool new phone thanks to motorolas horrible phones..lol. motorolas good for some things, but there phones just dont last.

i hope this helps.
thanks for the question,

if you have any questions about the models i suggested, just write back and ill be happy to answer them for you.
thx

-JM

Collapse -
reply to Motorola Charging Problem
by dave1973 / October 15, 2005 1:57 PM PDT

I used to use the Motorola 120c from Verizon Wireless and I remember having problems getting the charger to connect and touch the probes so it would charge. I agree that Motorola makes crappy phones. My brother went against my advice when he decided to replace his LG VX4400 for charging and reception problems for a Motorola V265 flip phone. I own the Samsung a650, and for what I use it for, it's a great phone. I don't use the internet and it has worked in more areas that Motorola phones wouldn't. I tried my Samsung at his place in Knox Indiana, where reception is spotty at times, and he was pissed that my phone worked at his place, and his didn't. I told him what phone to get for a basic tri-mode flip phone, and he decided not to get it. Since you're the expert wmf1489; what do you think of the Samsung a950 with an internal antenna? I usually prefer external antennas that retract, and not sure where not to hold the phone at, in order to keep the phone from losing reception. That is one of the phones I'm considering along with a flip phone from Nokia that will be coming out soon for Verizon Wireless. I forgot the model number for the Nokia phone, but I like some of the features that it has, including full bluetooth, retractable antenna, tri-mode (still prefer tri-mode phones over all digital phones), and a memory card slot for expandable memory, plus a card with classic Atari games. I'm waiting for actual reviews from the experts, plus personal experiences on the phones before I decide to get the Nokia phone. I have 'til July 1st, 2006 to make up my mind. That's the earliest I'm eligible for an upgrade with Verizon Wireless.

Collapse -
Motorola charging problem
by ploukas / October 16, 2005 5:11 AM PDT

Thanks for the info. It's good to know we aren't the only ones experiencing the problem. My husband had the Motorola phone, and it started giving him trouble after about 6 months. TMobile replaced it (same phone) and the trouble started again. Got a Samsung. I don't like flip phones, but I thought the Motorola V276 from Verizon was really sharp looking, so I ordered it when I wanted to update my phone. Had the charging problem right off the bat and sent it right back. No more Motorola for us! Got another Kyocera phone instead and really like their products.

Collapse -
RE:
by wmf1489 / October 16, 2005 6:00 AM PDT

Thanks for replying to my post and others posts.

At first when i had this problem with my Motorola, i just thought it was just my phone, because i tend to get the bad batch of products. But its motorola alotogether. I will never purchase a motorola phone again.

I also love Kyoceras phones.
There very simplistic, they have the best menus and navigation of any phone ive ever owned,Every last one of there phones are incredibly durable,They are very inovative, And well priced.

I am actually a Kyocera Afillitate because i apreciate there place in the Wireless Industry so much.

Thx
-JM

Collapse -
My God...
by moe4747 / November 3, 2005 12:18 PM PST

I'm 32 years old and use cell phones to make phone calls. Why in the heck would anyone look at cell phones online for hours a day and use that information to quiz salespeople about the megapixels on a Samsung camera phone? Your parents should be locked up for allowing you to waste your time rotting in front of a computer all day.

Collapse -
wait till he's making 4M a year
by nursejoy / November 23, 2005 7:53 AM PST
In reply to: My God...

This 15 year old has me impressed! Not only does the kid know all of the info about the phones, but he can remember it to quiz the phone reps. With memory, recall and tech expertise like he has, he'll be making millions while I'm still trying to figure out how to make my computer work faster than a snail!

Collapse -
Poor girl.... some sales person.
by xelonth / November 23, 2005 11:36 AM PST

Today i went to check out some of the new phones and went to wireless wave. I might be a bit too picky but when one of the sales representatives came to me i told her i wanted a cellphone with Infra red port, she asked you mean like a bluetooth, i said no (everything was politly) and explaind the difference. So i ask her if she would know any cell phone that have IR port since i dont want to buy a bluetooth card for my computer or any extra cables. So she says you mean like a bluetooth? I just gave up and asked which phones i can expend the memory for to store more files on and she asks you mean like bluetooth (she explained that if i connect it to the computer it is "expanding memory") i just said i will keep checking it by myself and thanked her for her "help" and just walked out. I am one of those people who dont like sitting exploring a cell phone, i prefer to come to a store and they can give me answers. It was shocking.

PLEASE TRAIN GOOD SALE REPRESENTATIVES (also same thing when i went shopping for camcorders)

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) never heard of that store..
by jbroshear / February 27, 2006 10:18 PM PST
Collapse -
regarding 15 and being smart
by LdyC / December 9, 2005 12:25 AM PST

I hope you show all those high class wanna be sales reps something or two because i could have used you when i was buying one. So hopefully i wont be upset with this samsung t309 camera thingie. Good luck with your future and ignore negativity on your intelligence.

Collapse -
WAIT TIL HE'S MAKING 4MILL A YEAR
by danvsanj / October 14, 2006 10:35 AM PDT

Yeah, I'm impressed too. I'm just wondering how as a 15 yo he's gone through so many phones and why?

Collapse -
cant charge the v276
by sk8boarder / December 25, 2005 8:26 AM PST

happens to me to

even when its off it turns on it wont turn off my phone its so weird
im on my 2nd motorolla in 2months

Collapse -
Can you give me information on the lg 1400i phone
by lglifegood / October 15, 2005 3:31 AM PDT

and can you tell me the difference between the lg 1400 and the lg 1400i. Answer that if you can.

Collapse -
Reply to Lg 1400 and 1400i question
by wmf1489 / October 15, 2005 12:37 PM PDT

Thanks for the Question.
Lg has reissused a few of there phones this past year, And there arent that many differences between the two. The models with the(i) at the end, are redisgned to be work better with instant messaging services.They also come preloaded with aim and icq instant messenger.

The new 1400i has GPRS, which will give you better signal in areas, and will give you more roaming options. If your tryign to choose between the two, I would choose the older lg L1400.

Besides thoose minor changes, There is only one other difference between the two. The older version had an OLED external display, while the new one has an LCD display, They are both the same resolution and are both 65k colour.

Here are some features of the Lg L1400i
-Integrated VGA Digital Camera with dedicated camera button,The extrenal display may also be used as a viewfinder for self portraits,Takes pictures at vga reslotuion with a max picture size of 640x640.There are three differnt effects for editing the pics, The camera also has 4x digital step zoom, and multishot capability.

- This phone also has a few multimedia features such as acess to cingulars MyMedia, to download wallpapers,Polyphonic ringtones.

-The 1400i also supports sms(text) and mms(multimedia messaging)

I myslelf havent owned the Lg L1400i of the 1400, but they both seem like pretty good phones.

i would rate them both at a 8 out of 10.

Thanks for the question. If you have any further questions, feel free to ask me. Happy
thx
-JM

-
-

Collapse -
Thank you!!
by lglifegood / October 15, 2005 1:00 PM PDT

You give out so good information. You should make your own site.

Collapse -
Thanks ! :)
by wmf1489 / October 15, 2005 1:42 PM PDT
In reply to: Thank you!!

I was thinking about doing that because i love helping others with tech problems or questions. Im hoping one of the cnet editors sees one of my reviews or forum posts and gets me a job at cnet. lol

Thanks Happy
-Jesse Montoya

Collapse -
Oh Mighty Phone Guru (lol), Have Any Thoughts On The LG6100?
by Psych Doc / October 16, 2005 6:09 AM PDT

...Just got it for my wife (I have the LG8000) and she and I are both in love with it. Neither of us could care less about bluetooth or MP3 playback and this phone (the 6100) is just incredible as a sleek, sexy, reliable tri mode phone. The menues are wonderful in typical LG fashion and it feels like it's built to last a lifetime.

Any thoughts on this phone?

(I've never been a Samsung fan as I find they are somewhat too flimsy in build quality, I don't like their menus and they keys are invariably too small to be pressed easily...I've also heard that they are not as reliable in call handling as the LG's. Motos have never even been a consideration....they are built like crap and their screens and display colors are faded and washed out looking compared to the LG's and Samsung's)

Collapse -
Haha. heres a reply to LG6100 question.
by wmf1489 / October 16, 2005 11:33 AM PDT

Haha. heres a reply to LG6100 question.

Thanks for the reply to the post Happy

First off, i would like to say, youy write very good reviews. I read the ones you wrote, you should really start to write some more, because yours are very informational and non-biased. I hate when microsoft or apple haters write reviews bashing the others products.etc. etc.

Out of 10 i would give the LG VX6100 a 9.

I love the LG VX6100's design. its very slim,sexy,and i love how the nice touch of blue around the camera and the external display.

There are only two things that i think could have been improved on this phone
-The external display is only 4 grayscale, I would have loved to see it have a nice 65k colour screen.
-The Camera is only CMOS VGA Quality. It would have been the perfect phone if it was 1.3 megapixels or higher.

Besides thoose few things. i just love the VX6100
The camera takes very clear pictures for only being VGA, The external display is very bright and vivid and its fairly easy to see in bright light. The reception in my area is great with this phone.
The VX6100 is Tri Mode, which is fairly rare among cellulars today. I dont do very much roaming myself, But when i get a phone i want at least a tri band maybe even quad band phone to keep my options open.

Once again,
Thanks for the reply
i hope to see more reviews from you in the future.

Thx
-Jm

Collapse -
Re:....
by Psych Doc / October 17, 2005 12:23 AM PDT

...Thanks "wfm." You write beautifully and I can't tell you how impressed I really am with your reviews/advice in view of your age!

Kudos to you and I wouls have to assume your parents for bringing up such a great young man. I hope you stick around here, you are a real asset and perhaps more importantly, a gentleman.

I see us as a kind of Batman and Robin except I can't figure out who's who!

lol

Collapse -
Can I get some info on the LG C2000.
by lglifegood / October 15, 2005 1:01 PM PDT

And is it true that you can get any cingular phone for prepaid service?

Collapse -
Reply to Information on the LG C2000
by wmf1489 / October 15, 2005 1:39 PM PDT

Thanks for the question Happy

To get a phone prepaid with cingular.You would have to buy a new or used Cingular go phone.In other words, no you would not be able to use any phone with there prepaid service. I tried it myself thinking i could just switch out my sim cards. But i ended up having to call customer care to get it switched over,then i found out that cingular will not activate phones on prepay that arent advertised as go phone or cingular prepaid phones.

Here is some information on the LGC2000
- CAMERA
-VGA Quality pictures with up to 3x digital zoom
-Built in mirror for self portraits.
- Self Timer
-Customizable Shutter Sounds, Brightness, White Balance, Color Effects

-Ringers and sounds
- Rich Audio ? MP3, MIDI, SMAF, AAC & 64-chord polyphonic sound support
- Built In speakerphone.

- Messaging
-EMS(Enhanced Messaging service
-MMS(Multimedia Messaging Service
-SMS(Short Messaging Service aka text messaging)
- T9 Predictive text

Displays
- internal 65k Colour 128x160 pixel resolution.
- External monochrome display with color filters

Other features-
Voice Memos
Voice Activated Dialing

The LG C2000 Is Also A Tri Band world phone
(850/1800/1900 MHz)

I hope thats enough information for you, if not feel free to write me back and ill be sure to get you any information you need

THX
-JM

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.