Phones forum

General discussion

Itouch Vs PDA

by butteryme / November 28, 2007 10:28 PM PST

Which is better? Itouch or PDAs? I wanted something that can listen to music, watch videos, go on msn, surf the net, play games and store pictures. I know all these can be found in phones but I'm not so keen on changing my phone. I've a very high usage on phones and the battery wouldn't last 3 hours if I were to do all those simultaneously.

So the bottom line...Itouch Or PDAs? Can Itouch do those? Or PDA would be a better choice? If so, What PDA would you recommend? I'm totally ignorant to PDAs. Thanks!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Itouch Vs PDA
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Itouch Vs PDA
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Good question...
by John.Wilkinson / November 29, 2007 2:44 AM PST
In reply to: Itouch Vs PDA
iPod Touch Pros:
* Better battery life for music playback: avg 22 hours vs 6 hours.
* Larger screen for multimedia display and is easier to use without a stylus.
* Agreement with Starbucks for music access. (US only; widely available in March 2008.)
* Greater storage capacity: 8GB/16GB vs 256MB avg.

iPod Touch Cons:
* Not open for general software development, so games will be few and far between. WindowsMobile and Palm have a wide selection to choose from.
* Does not support WMA files, which is the current online music store standard. Reduces your options to primarily ripping from CD or purchasing from Apple's own iTunes store.

One other point to note: PDAs have a fraction of the storage, but unlike the iPod Touch they accept SD and/or CF memory cards. Buying a couple memory cards evens out the storage capacity and the overall price.

Hope this helps,
Collapse -
Tricky... What's the best gagdet for med students?
by medhatter / March 16, 2008 10:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Good question...

I'm a bit overwhelmed by the amount of info on Palm x iTouch... My iPod died recently (it was from the 3rd generation, poor thing). I used it for Podcasts, recording lessons and listening to music (and longed for the video option...). I want (need) a sub. I also own a Palm TX, which I know I don't use to all of it's capacity... I only use calendar, email, pictures, some internet but mainly I carry Med ebooks, ebooks in general, pdf files (which are terrible to read) and Med apps. Can I do all of this on an iTouch? Is iTouch nice to read texts on? A friend recently got a PSP and said it's super, but I don't reckon it has the functions I long. And the iPhone... well, it has such a small memory... I always carry my Palm, iPod and phone everywhere, so I'd love to have everything in one gadget... (don't we all?). What's the best solution here? Should I keep my TX and just buy a classic iPod? Is the iTouch good for reading ebooks and pdf? Can it record my lessons like the iPod?
I tried to browse through the official sites from those companies but they weren't very helpful... I'd love an input here...Thanks!

Collapse -
My advice will be achanging.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 16, 2008 10:48 AM PDT

Now the SDK is out, what the itouch and iphone do will be ... achanging. Hang in there.

Collapse -
iTouch/iPhone as PDA - how's it stack up today?
by Phippsgroup / December 27, 2008 9:49 AM PST

I haven't seen anything posted on this recently and wondered (as a Palm TX holdout) whether the SDK and development world have made the iTouch/iPhone the PDA of our dreams? I'm on the cusp of making a move and looking for something that will do the PDA tasks at least as well as the TX.

Any suggestions/experience to share?

Collapse -
Just what I've learned so far.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 27, 2008 10:28 PM PST

I write and maintain PalmOS applications. I now am porting to Windows Mobile and for the simplest of reasons see why Windows missed by miles.

No icon shows up on your screen when you install a new software. This may not make any sense till you try to use a WM device. It's the weirdest PDA so far. The idea is that you would use it as they intended it.

The iPhone is much closer to the Palm than you suspect. You install an app and the icon shows up and you can run your new app. Couldn't be simpler. The Windows Mobile version is "could they make it any harder?"

Collapse -
thanks for the update on the iPod Touch/iPhone as PDA
by Phippsgroup / December 28, 2008 5:34 AM PST

Can you expand a bit on your observations about the iPhone/Touch as PDA? Does it sync with Entourage? Can you work with documents? I love my Palm TX, but I would like to do so much more.

Collapse -
The sync is...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 28, 2008 8:27 AM PST

I like to cover what you can't research on your own. I'm going to say this about documents. PDF viewing showed up not long ago. As to Word documents I looked at it and tossed it. Sorry but for that I now carry an Acer Aspire One.

Let me stick with items that people can't get a quick google on.

Collapse -
I will...
by John.Wilkinson / December 28, 2008 12:33 PM PST

-> It will sync with Entourage, but note that the iPod Touch/iPhone does not support all e-mail services and your folders, outside of Inbox, may not be displayed/accessible at all.

-> Document creation/editing/viewing is not supported out of the box at all and third-party application support for such is still limited. For instance, you can view PDFs but do not expect to open your docx files and edit them like you can with a WindowsMobile (natively) or Palm (with third-party software) device.

Collapse -
How to choose between i pod touch and a pda?
by drkk007 / August 10, 2008 1:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Good question...

I am a Doctor by profession and I need to possess a digital assistant to have a quick reference to clinical material and drug dosages etc...

I dont know how an ipod touch works and on the other hand i phone is not yet available in india.

What to choose? Whether i pod touch or a pda ?

Or shall i purchase pda and mobile separately?

Plz answer at the earliest....

Collapse -
How about a Windows Mobile smartphone?
by John.Wilkinson / August 12, 2008 12:22 PM PDT

There is currently a major push for third-party software designed to run on the iPhone, but you'll likely find many of the premier medical software packages are not available for it, at least not yet. With Palm being more or less a dying (dead?) platform, Windows Mobile may be your best bet at the moment. Thus, I would suggest a WindowsMobile smartphone, which combines a standard PDA with a cell phone, giving you the all-in-one device you seek while also offering you the largest selection of relevant software titles. HP has a decent selection, while your local cell phone provider should have a wide selection of models such as the HTC Touch Pro/Diamond and Samsung Blackjack.

Hope this helps,

Collapse -
by butteryme / November 29, 2007 4:47 PM PST

Oh..if that's the case, do you have any PDAs to recommend? Thanks!

Collapse -
The last PDA I carry is...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 29, 2007 11:31 PM PST
In reply to: PDAs?

The PalmOne TX.

Plus? I own it and write apps for PalmOS. It has wifi...

Minus? It's only mono MP3 playback and mildly tough to get content on it.

Big minus? Same price as the iTouch.

Collapse -
iTouch as PDA
by hadgehughes / January 3, 2008 5:47 PM PST

I have used Palm before moving on to PDA - the software available for both is excellent - BUT - and it's a big BUT - I now have a 16gig iTouch (thank you Santa!) and I have seen the future! The news is that Apple are releasing the development kit this coming February and once that happens the floodgates will open for third party apps. I used jailbreak to allow me to instal third party apps on my iToch and there are some nifty little programs out there. Even without Jailbreak I can sync my Calendar to Outlook with ease using iTunes - at the moment the Calendar if fairly basic but it allows for easy text entry with notes, repeats and alarms - this will get better. Of course for music, video and photo viewing it is in a class of its own - no camera - but I don't need it. The wifi with Youtube and Safari web Browser is fantastic allowing me to browse the web and send email from my Gmail account. But the biggest advantage over PDA or Palm is the beauty of this thing - the touch screen is huge and crystal clear and navigation borders on the mesmerising - get down to Apple and play with one and you will see why I love it - oh, and I'm PC based and don't work for Apple ;0)

Collapse -
Itouch, Iphone for developers!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 3, 2008 9:27 PM PST
In reply to: iTouch as PDA

Since I write apps for the Palm, you betcha I'll be there.

YOU CAN BET that you will be drowning in apps in 2008.

Collapse -
Apps in 08
by hadgehughes / January 3, 2008 9:45 PM PST

I look forward to hearing from you when you are ready to release them!

Collapse -
Mine are for really wierd things.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 3, 2008 10:31 PM PST
In reply to: Apps in 08

Try this one. An application that you use to adjust the speed and settings of those automatic doors you see all around. Not a retail product but as you can imagine the Palm ship has sailed. We need a new catamaran.

Collapse -
Ipod Touch isn't a PDA
by bigboy73 / January 5, 2008 4:15 PM PST

The Ipod Touch runs a weak little Mac OS thing that has a few games, and developing will not exploid that much most people don't want to buy the 8gb(thats its) for $300 hen the 160gb Ipod classic is the same price. and youtube is not the much fun anyways.

The Palm TX has the Tuff Test PALM OS on which has over 30,000 applications for it all ready. Slingplayer is so much nicer than just having special Youtube access. The Ipod will not Be a PDA, a PDA will never be a PDA anymore, the Ipod is a MP3 player,the Palm hanhelds are more like littl ecomputers anymore or there smartphones.

Collapse -
As a developer...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 5, 2008 9:47 PM PST
In reply to: Ipod Touch isn't a PDA

And on the PalmOS no less I know the PalmOS is the weakling here. You'll see the PDA features fill in from third party developers this year.

Collapse -
Ipod Touch vs. Palm T|X wireless?
by shawnfrazier / February 14, 2008 8:51 AM PST

I'm curious - I have a Palm T|X mainly for the WiFi but have been unimpressed w/ the wireless performance. I know next to nothing about the Ipod touch. Has anyone worked with both? I'm interested in mainly the WiFi browsing and a good PIM w/ calendar, contacts, and to-do - or just access to google.

Any opinions?

Collapse -
Differences between iPod touch and Palm
by pomerane / March 18, 2008 11:51 AM PDT

I do not know much about the itouch but have done enough research on it to say that it is quite lacking as an organizer despite it's great features which is what differentiates it from palm pilots and the like.

Collapse -
I have both the TX and Itouch
by girlsongbird1 / September 17, 2008 1:40 AM PDT

I have the tx and itouch. First let me say that I was dying to get my itouch! I plays beautiful movies, digital camera videos, music videos, and loads photos very nicely. The wi-fi is convenient and so is the itunes feature where you can download songs. However, I find that the Palm Tx is a little faster. I like reading audio books on both. The itouch has a brighter screen. I am going to download TCMP this week to check and see how well the TX runs movies. I have the itouch without a speaker, a real pain when you have to carry earphones everywhere, my palm has a built in speaker and the update I have with pocket tunes has improved the sound greatly. I understand that itouch has a built in speaker now, figures they would after I bought the first one. Anyway, when I connect the itouch and the Palm Tx to my yamaha sound systeim via the mixer, there is no contest....Palm sound connected through my mixer is superior. No white noise just pure clear sound, every instrument is clear and sweet and all the songs have equal sound. The itouch is just plain and the EQ settings are not that great. If I had to do it again, I would have not spent all that money on the itouch, and I would have waited it out and been happy with the upgrades for Palm.

Collapse -
okay the touch isn't a PDA
by bigboy73 / January 3, 2009 6:43 PM PST

it's a glorifed MP3 player, what set the PDA's apart in their hauday was the nicer OS, in the PPC factor it's a smaller lighter version of windows. Personally Palm needs to pull the heads out of their special place and release that stupid OS or just switch to windows mobile and send out a ppc with a touchscreen and 8-32gb of storage, and a EXPANSION SLOT (listening apple), windows mobbile or even palm OS will own anything apple puts on their mobile devices, yes they have some apps, but the palm os, and the windows mobile have been around for a lot longer and theirfore have THOUSAND'S of apps, i would love to see palm release a sequel to the lifedrive, withflash memory and a slim design and a nice palm os and windows mobile OS and that will shut the I touch down. And the poster above your TX is tentimes a capable as your ipod touch, you just have to know how to use it. IPOD TOUCH IS NOT A PDA

peace, bigboy

Collapse -
wow this is old
by bigboy73 / January 3, 2009 6:45 PM PST

i found my post from early 2008 lol

Collapse -
Great responses on the PDA/iTouch question
by Phippsgroup / January 4, 2009 11:48 PM PST

Since I continue to rely on my Palm TX to keep my life and contacts close to hand, I'm rather glad that so many of you (including Bigboy) took the time to point out the Palm advantages. Who needs to dish out the money for an iTouch that hasn't caught up with where Palm was 5 years ago? Happy my checkbook is smiling.

Now, if Palm will only come up with a replacement before years of use and the knocks of travel put the TX on the skids ...

Collapse -
yeah, thank you
by bigboy73 / January 5, 2009 2:50 PM PST

i have been using a Palm since the 6th grade(not joking) i still have working Sony Clie NR70v that i bought for $600 when they came out, i've replaced the battery once and the only issue i have run into is the memory cap, but i now have a lifedrive and HP jornada and dell Axim, these devices are considered old when a ipod touch is whipped out, but the only new tech an i touch has is the nicer touch screen, but i would take a stylus over fingers anyday(cleaner). Sure the things has bettter batterylife but it's processor is so darn low(like 100mhz) it's still an MP3 player and nowhere near even the capbilites of my 6 year old jornada, their is a reason they are called pocket PC's, but this is typical apple behavior, make something look nice and say it's just as powerful as device X and make it cost 100 buck more:)

bigboy out

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.