Tablets forum

General discussion

It's the "iPad"...

by Slikkster / January 27, 2010 2:16 AM PST

I'm listening to Steve Jobs essentially telling people that laptops (including Mac laptops) are passe. The iPad, he says, are so much more intimate.

And wow, a whole website in the palm of your hands....whoopee!

What protects the glass on this thing?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: It's the "iPad"...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: It's the "iPad"...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
couple thoughts...
by shmody / January 27, 2010 3:43 AM PST
In reply to: It's the "iPad"...

couple thoughts...

1) I generally agree that laptops are going to be passe, but not for ~10yrs. I think that's when a tablet computer will be the norm... The iPad takes some cues from the Wacom Cintiq and the custom MacBook tablet of a few years ago.

2) Yeah seriously, protecting the glass would be my #1 concern before purchasing or even using...

Collapse -
I don't get it
by skimike4 / January 27, 2010 3:55 AM PST

It's basically a big iPod touch. It can do a couple more things, but it's basically a big iPod touch. What am I missing?

Collapse -
well, yes, but...
by shmody / January 27, 2010 4:30 AM PST
In reply to: I don't get it

It's more about the products it can compete with and the types of content it can deliver. I'd say that it should be put up against Lenovo's IdeaPad U1...Prizefight! Wink

I gotta say, I like the "no contract" required "feature" as well as the availability with and without 3G. I'm a little surprised it doesn't have GPS, but perhaps that would have made its a more confusing product for an initial launch - probably for the 2nd or 3rd gen.

Collapse -
by lmmvirago / January 27, 2010 4:33 AM PST
In reply to: well, yes, but...

I don't know too much about GPS. Would that have given it more weight or would it have been a software addition only? 1.5 lbs is probably as much as you want it weigh. Also, could the app store provide GPS capabilities?

Strictly a PC user so I'm not well informed on App store, etc. Happy

Collapse -
Couple of things...
by Slikkster / January 27, 2010 5:02 AM PST
In reply to: well, yes, but...

I'm waiting to see the first screenshots of someone holding this thing up to their ear like a giant iPhone.

Secondly, I'm already hearing giggles from some in the technorati about the name, which sounds to them like some kind of feminine product. Let's hope for Apple's sake they never make a "Maxi" size.

Collapse -
by shmody / January 27, 2010 6:14 AM PST
In reply to: Couple of things...
Collapse -
I-Pad Name
by mwooge / January 29, 2010 2:02 PM PST

> Secondly, I'm already hearing giggles from some in the technorati about the name, which sounds to them like some kind of feminine product.

Already been done, when the I-Pod came out. Mad TV, I think.

Collapse -
People giggled about the Wii too.
by minimalist / January 29, 2010 10:36 PM PST

Then they got over it. The technorati is a fickle and easily distracted bunch. I wouldn't worry too much about them or their predictions.

Collapse -
by always_smiling / January 30, 2010 12:39 AM PST

The most recent term I heard to describe someone who loves their Wii is a Wii-**** =)

Collapse -
Why I think this is going to be big
by lmmvirago / January 27, 2010 4:31 AM PST

I think the big thing is the pulling together of several functions in such a small (relatively inexpensive) device.

Internet + Music + Video + Books + eMail + tons of apps (all on a larger screen)= Less devices to take with you and better productivity.

The iBook function on a screen that rivals the Kindle in size and beats the Kindle with being in color is going to be amazing, IMO. I understand that Apple has already signed agreements with all the major publishers except Random House.

Then you have the ability to use all those apps on a device that is big enough to do more work. I love my Android phone but the bigger screen would be a real improvement in my productivity.

I've got nothing but PC products in my house (plus a Kindle) and I'm very tempted. Can't wait to hear some reviews on this one.

Collapse -
"But can it core a apple?"
by Slikkster / January 27, 2010 4:59 AM PST

I'm just hearing that it's going to be $499, which is a very good price point for an Apple product, so I'll give that to them. Ball's in Amazon's court for now.

I still have my doubts about this things' success, though. Amazon rules the reader category. Most books are in B&W, so that's a wash. If the Kindle builds in color and Internet, then you've just got the apps benefit for Apple. But do you need a screen that size for apps? The apps have already been built for the iPhone/Ipod touch's screen size, so what benefit will there be? And if bigger means better, why not have a 24" pad?

Collapse -
It's a netbook and kindle killer
by Nicholas Buenk / January 27, 2010 9:33 AM PST

But I don't see tablets replacing laptops. Real keyboard is too important. And while ok for a small tablet, for regular use the flat on the desk viewing angle is not optimum. Yet a verticle touchscreen has awful ergnomics.
No I don't see touchscreen ever entirely replacing keyboard and mice. But it's ok for highly mobile devices.

Collapse -
I agree. In fact I am only interested in the entry level
by minimalist / January 27, 2010 1:14 PM PST

model because 830 dollars is too close to at the cost of a full featured laptop. This device has very specific things it can do well (eBooks, video, browsing, photos and music).

For those things I will gladly pay 500 dollars. Cellular browsing? I've already got an iPhone thanks. Typing reports, lengthy emails or putting together Keynotes? I've got a macbook, thanks.

At 830 dollars this thing is too expensive (unless you don;t have or want a smart phone in which case knock yourself out with that data plan). But as a 500 dollar eBook, video and music playing web browser it blows the competition away.

Collapse -
Netbook killer?
by Slikkster / January 27, 2010 8:28 PM PST

-With Netbooks going for up to $300 less than the basic entry-level iPad, what exactly is going to "kill" them? Because Steve Jobs says so? Please...

Actually, Jobs did a good job killing interest in MacBooks the way he was talking about laptops in general. Nothing like criticizing one's own wares...

As for the Kindle, does anyone actually believe that Amazon --the company that was matching other retailers' prices in real time during the holiday season-- is going to just sit back and let Apple try to horn in on its market? Hardly. I'm guessing they will somehow subsidize the Kindle while working on its next upgrade. No matter what, they'll be doing something to maximize value to both current owners and prospective ones.

I have to say that from initial responses I've seen in the media --save for fanboys-- Apple might have actually missed the mark with this product. That would be a rarity, but there seems to be a lot more negative reviews than one would expect for some new Apple gizmo.

Collapse -
I didn't mean netbook killer.
by minimalist / January 27, 2010 10:15 PM PST
In reply to: Netbook killer?

Netbooks are just cheap, underpowered laptops. They have their own fanbase but there are also many people who are just not interested in them. (I'm one of them)

But Kindle and Nook better watch out with their slow, one trick pony's. Apple was really smart to embrace ePub as a book format (hopefully Apple and Sony's choice to use an industry standard it will force Amazon and B&N to do the same). Ironically, its Apple who is being open this time around and Amazon and Barnes & Noble who are trying to lock you into their ecosystems for life.

Collapse -
by Slikkster / January 28, 2010 1:40 AM PST

I was really responding to Nicholas' prediction, not yours. Sorry.

Collapse -
Here's why it's a netbook killer
by Nicholas Buenk / January 28, 2010 7:56 AM PST
In reply to: Netbook killer?

It's starts from just $500, this is incredibly cheap for such advanced equipment and is not that much more expensive than netbooks. Note the Nokia Booklet which is probably the best netbook out there and comes with built in 3G, costs $600.
The iPad is smaller, lighter and just as capable. 10 hours of battery and has a much more advanced user interface than a netbook, you get a lot more for a similar price point.
And who is seriously going to pick a single purpose devive with a grey and black screen over it? The kindle is only going to remain successful for the peope who really have an issue with LCDs. Which I don't think is much, people spend hours on computers already without eye strain problems.

Collapse -
UltraPortables are killing Netbooks
by Slikkster / January 28, 2010 8:53 AM PST
Collapse -
User experience and user interface
by Nicholas Buenk / January 28, 2010 1:11 PM PST

Lightness, portability, battery life. These, especially the user interface, are huge features.
It has access to hundreds of thousands of iPhone apps.
The real keyboard is an optional accessory.

Collapse -
The compare/contrast list goes on and on...
by Slikkster / January 28, 2010 8:49 PM PST

No usb on the iPad, no HDMI, no tuner capability, bigger screen on this Acer, only 3.1 lbs, 6 hour battery life (battery on iPad remains to be tested in real world), webcam included, 250gb drive, 4gb ram capable, FLASH support (lol), etc., etc., etc.

In essence, a very portable yet very full-featured Windows 7 laptop that runs circles around anything the iPad can do in terms of real computing, and all for $420.00. I would put Windows 7's UI up against absolutely anything Apple can offer in terms of user experience. True, no iPhone/Ipad apps on the laptop, but an unlimited number of actual full-featured applications and widgets that dwarfs anything available on the iPhone/iPad.

But, feel free to spend your dough on the iPad. It does look nice. Apple products always do. But I'm a bit more pragmatic when it comes to bang for the buck.

Collapse -
After seeing Kindles and Nooks in person
by minimalist / January 28, 2010 10:20 AM PST

I've already revised my opinion about eInk... its got no real future. In fact I think it might already be on its way out. Who on earth would buy some 800 dollar Que with a pokey grey scale display when you can get a fully loaded iPad for the same price? Or the 450 dollar Kindle DX when the 500 dollar iPad has the same size screen and can do so much more? The Nook and regular Kindle s might do OK, but they are going to always be forced to keep their prices significantly lower than Apple's which means their margins have nowhere to go but down. eInk might dominate the bottom end, sort of like the way cheap, featureless mp3 players dominate the bottom end of the mp3 market.

But the iPad is not a Netbook killer in my opinion... at least not at this price and in this configuration. Lots of people just want a tiny 300 dollar laptop that can stream Netflix and Hulu. Until Apple ends its ***** fight with Adobe over Flash support, the iPad will remain hobbled for streaming media which is a big strike against it. As good as the iPad might be, you can;t deny that Netflix and Hulu are forces to be reckoned with.

Collapse -
Why this sucks so much:
by always_smiling / January 29, 2010 9:23 AM PST

I'd like to post an article my friend wrote which explains many reasons why the iPad sucks:

iDid, iDid, iDid see ?dat iPad.

It is finally here. Apple?s glorious iPad. Wait. iPad? Is that seriously the name for Apple?s latest ?must have? gadget. In fact, at the time of writing this, iTampon is the number one trending topic on Twitter. Nice. Correct me if I am mistaken, but something like iTab, or iSlate have much more of a sleek sounding ring to them. At the end of the day, it is only a name. I understand that the iPad has close ties to the iPod. In fact, if you try to say ?iPod? like a somebody from the southern United States, they sound very similar

For those of you who are reading this that do not really know me, you will not be aware of the fact that I have long been a sole fan of Microsoft Windows. This is not to say that I have disliked macintosh computers per se, but rather, I hated the stigma that came along with somebody flaunting their computer as if god himself granted them the power to wield it?s shiny, unibody power in their hands. At the end of the day, a computer is a computer. If I can write my school reports, listen to my music, edit my videos, design my websites, edit photos, blog, or do any of the hundreds of other tasks I accomplish with my computers, then I am a happy camper . My main argument has always been, though, that anything which you can do on your MacBook, I can do just as well on my Windows computer at a cheaper cost. My opinion still stands.

For christmas, I was given a MacBook Pro, and officially welcomed into the Apple brotherhood. Do I love my MacBook? Yes. Did Jesus himself give it to me? Nope. Would I have been just as happy with any other Windows laptop? More than likely. I still fully stand by my previous statements about functionality, but after using OSX for a while, I do find it very sleek and pleasurable to use. Apple have done an excellent job.

Now that you understand how I feel about about my computer brands, I want to explain my feelings about the iPad.

I have been following the hype surrounding the iPad for a looooong time. Actually, for at least a whole year now. They were supposed to announce it this same presentation last year. So many rumours were spread about it, yet very few of them made it into the final product.

My Complaints

Here are my 5 big complaints about the iPad:

No Camera
Come on Apple. This is the 21st century. Video calling is a must have for any device claiming to be as ?groundbreaking? as this. Wouldn?t it be cool to be able to skype with your family from your living room? I guess not. Maybe for 2nd Generation, apple?

No Multitasking
I love the app store. You can find an app for just about anything. The only problem is, you are either using the app exclusively, or you are not using it. No listening to your internet radio in the background. No twitter updates while you are at your ?computer?. Even Windows 3.0 allowed this :/

Cha Ching
Open up your wallet some more, and let the money flow! A book store, an app store, a music store, and a movie store. One account, which is linked to your credit card. There is nothing wrong with having such a convenient source of digital media. The only problem is that Apple is the boss. They set the prices. Since everything is DRM protected (except for music now), you can ONLY use it on your Apple product. Stop using your computer? You can kiss all of your new books and movies goodbye, even though you bought them.

iAlready have an iPod
And it fits in my pocket too! The experience of using the iPad will be very similar to that of using an iPod, albeit with a larger screen. There is no flexibility unless you ?hack? it, which is against the law according to Apple. Sure, you get a bigger screen, but the limiting experience will be the same.

More Money
So you dish out $700 for a decent spec iPad. Great. Now all you need to do is buy the docking keyboard station (sold separately), and the USB connection cable (sold separately), as well as the add-on camera extension (also sold separately). See where i am going here? To get the full experience, you will have to dip into your wallet a fair few times.

So that basically sums up what iThink of the iPad. Please let me know what YOU think.

ProsCons Yummy bezel, Apple logo, Nice screenIt is pretty useless, Expensive, Proprietary, No Camera, No Multitasking

If you enjoyed reading this, please subscribe to my RSS feed or follow me on twitter.

Collapse -
The fact that unlike the iPhone/iPod Touch its actually the
by minimalist / January 27, 2010 1:07 PM PST

right size to on which to read a read a long form novel or watch a 2 hour movie. I love my iPhone but its only good for quick tasks on the go (for getting in and out quickly). I never use it for real browsing or real reading or for watching long video.

This iPad is certainly not perfect (where is the multitasking on a screen this big? Blowing up iPhone apps so we can see them all grainy and blocky on this screen? Ugh.). But seeing as I was in the market for an eBook reader already and the iPad offers a whole lot more uses than the Kindle or the Nook (not to mention the books Apple sells are ePub instead of the locked down proprietary stuff Amazon sells) I'd say the 500 dollar model is very competitive for the feature set.

Collapse -
Funny you should say that
by Nicholas Buenk / January 27, 2010 2:14 PM PST

Because I'm posting this from my iPhone right now. I regularly use it for web browsing and I think it handles it almost as well as a real computer because of the ease of zooming and scrolling. Especially with how much faster thr 3Gs is and that it has enough ram to handle several tabs finally.
And I use it for TV shows and podcasts although a movie is a little much.
The only place where it's sigificantly weaker is the keyboard. And I expect similar will be true for the iPad.

Collapse -
I almost never post to discussion
by minimalist / January 27, 2010 10:02 PM PST

boards from the iPhone (nor do I do complex emails). I need to consider what I'm saying, see it all at once, proofread, and edit it. Its a huge pain in the *** on the iPhone to so this. A lot of the time I accidentally hit the wrong button and end up posting a half finished thought before its ready. The keyboard is fin for a quick Facebook post or jotting off a text but thats about it for me. Anything more complicated can wait until I'm in front a a real keyboard and I can work efficiently.

The keyboard issue of course won't change with the iPad (at least not much) and is once of the reasons why I am interested in the cheap model. Its not a laptop replacement. Its a device that does a few very specific things well (ebooks, browsing, and movies). Its also not an iPhone replacement that you will have with you anytime, anyplace. So I think I don;t really need the 3G version either.

Collapse -
(NT) It appears I will be waiting til iPad 2.0 to purchase.
by kwahhn / January 27, 2010 5:46 AM PST
Collapse -
It's the "iPad"...
by wizkids32 / January 27, 2010 6:32 AM PST

Dumb name I like the Apple Tablet instead.

Collapse -
Color Me Unimpressed
by Magishine / January 27, 2010 11:08 PM PST

It's basically a giant iphone. It seemed pretty cool until I got to the pricing. 30 bucks for unlimited data with no contract from AT@T sounds good. 500 bucks for a 16GB model sounds good too. Until it was mentioned that 3G would cost $130 more.

Seriously? They're selling a Wifi only version and one with Wi-Fi/3G? And there's a $130 premium for 3G? Not to mention that the accessories are going to cost an arm and a leg.

It just seems a little crazy. Like Steve is saying,"The majority of you will pay $630 for a $500 device"

I guess it depends on who this thing is marketed to. A powerful laptop plus a wireless card would be less expensive than this thing. Though the contractless data plan is nice.

But let's not overlook what this really is. Basically a giant Iphone.

Collapse -
It has potential
by skellener / January 28, 2010 1:53 AM PST
In reply to: Color Me Unimpressed

Just a big iPhone...oh that's just awful!!! And how well has the iPhone done? Or the iPod Touch for that matter? Not such a bad thing after all is it?

I think there is a lot of potential for the iPad. As it stands right now, maybe not the most compelling thing. But lets see what it's like this time next year. With native screen size apps, third party add-ons (stylus for sketching?), magazine subscriptions, etc. I expect we'll see some price reductions along the way as well.

I didn't care much for the iPhone when it debuted. With Apple's lonely 5 or 6 apps it seemed pretty weak. But once the jailbreak community got a hold of it, they showed what you could do with it, and eventually the App Store as well.

So give it some time. It could be really cool. Let's see what the hackers come up with. A jailbroken iPad could be very interesting. I still expect to see the WiFi only version clobber the 3G in sales.

Collapse -
It COULD have potential
by Magishine / January 28, 2010 8:27 AM PST
In reply to: It has potential

If it weren't so damn closed up. This is supposed to be between a netbook and a laptop. But I have to use apps that are approved for the app store. I can't even change the browser!

Not to mention the lack of ports.

If apple would treat this thing like an actual computer then maybe they would have something. I think everyone and their mother was expecting a version of OSX on this. Instead we got, as I said, a giant iphone.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.