Phones forum

General discussion

It's official: Android sucks

by make_or_break / November 26, 2009 11:01 PM PST

Yes it has great usability. Yes there are plenty of apps. Yes it's an open platform. So why does it suck?

App updating...ENDLESS app updating. Every day there's at least one nag on my phone telling me to update an app; more often it's a batch of apps that need updating.

Never mind the usual bug fixes that come with programming, never mind the app irritations that need mending with each Android OS refresh that Google occasionally issues; it's worse than that. It seems that with each new Android PHONE there's a ton of updates for almost every app that has to roll out in order to accommodate that new phone. Sure it doesn't really affect a 'grandfather' like my G1, but like do I really have a choice not to update? Not if I want to rid myself of the ever-present nags telling me that there are updates available. And after a while if I don't update each app then it's too easy to lose track of which app update is OS-specific and which is phone-specific. Android has become more work than it's worth.

People grouse about always having to do Windows Updates; at least that's usually only once a month. With Android apps it's become a daily exercise. Sure each app update usually only takes a few seconds, but group a bunch together and it takes several minutes...sometimes about as long as that monthly Windows update. And it requires MORE user monitoring and input than the Windows process. And with my G1, if I'm off the charger at the time of updating, I can ALWAYS count on these eating up a fair chunk of the available charge.

Shouldn't the hardware conform to the OS standards instead of the other way around? Why should I be inconvenienced by the appearance of a phone that I don't even intend on owning?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: It's official: Android sucks
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: It's official: Android sucks
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not Always
by Dogmastyle / November 27, 2009 12:49 AM PST

You're right about the great usability and plenty of apps, but, on any of the android phones, it has a feature, if you want it to provide updates for the apps you've already installed, so if you don't want the updates, then just turn the feature off. Hope that provided you with some info.

Collapse -
Maybe other Android phones do...
by make_or_break / November 30, 2009 1:22 AM PST
In reply to: Not Always

...but so far I've had no luck finding this sort of app update on/off 'switch' on my G1. At least it's not in the App controls within the phone's Settings management app, where it would make sense for it to be.

Every day this holiday weekend I've had at least four apps to update; it does get real tiring. The Droid and Android 2.0 are the biggest causes for these, but a lot of developers are still trying to get caught up to 1.6 which my G1 is running. I don't mind the nags for 1.6 because it is what my phone is depending on, but it's the updates for phones like the Droid that run 2.0 that REALLY drive me nuts. I wish Google had a process that could disseminate which app updates are for which phone and/or OS version, and provide the appropriate notifications to those specific phones and users.

Collapse -
It just sucks
by Samot57 / March 23, 2011 3:26 AM PDT

You can make all the excuses and explanations for this piece of junk but the truth is it just plain old SUCKS.

Collapse -
Android OS SUX
by Obi1Kenobejedi / July 31, 2013 8:21 AM PDT

Android OS Sux all over the place, mutual updates , the OS is so unstable Crash and can`t find the update.log to booth , so $300 Android tablet is in my recycle bin ( Puck you Google).
Also the aps ask for permission to access private data ( total garbage), App store work on whit approved devices,, and were on the world you pricking Google took Linux Kernel and made a OS that is (open-close).
i promoted Android like the best OS out there but under the shell this OS is noting but pirating LINUX.
Shamed on you Google shame on you, i was thinking you are the best guys You are even worst to Microsoft .
At Least Microsoft have a guts to give you a blue screen , you could not even make a screen to tell what is wrong whit the device. WILL NOT BUY A ANDROID and Google PRODUCT ANYMORE, I think is time to Follow Linux in move it to the Phone tablets use And start smacking Google in they face .
Google whit all due respect you earning your HATE .

Collapse -
Tell us how you really feel(!) [ROTFL] (n/t)
by Pepe7 / July 31, 2013 2:31 PM PDT
In reply to: Android OS SUX

Collapse -
And yet....
by birdmantd Forum moderator / July 31, 2013 9:16 PM PDT
In reply to: Android OS SUX

....oddly enough, Google and Android have exceeded Apple in the market. Despite everything you hate about it they are successful none-the-less. Oh well. You don't have to like it, but the rest of the world will move on despite your opinions.

Collapse -
love my android phone!
by lissssa / August 10, 2013 8:53 AM PDT
In reply to: And yet....

Understand frustrating apps updating but doesn't I phones have something similar anywsy

Collapse -
by birdmantd Forum moderator / August 10, 2013 11:22 AM PDT
In reply to: love my android phone!

......the iPhone has constant updates for apps and the OS. I have a Samsung S4 and love it. The OP doesn't and is entitled to his opinion even if we like our Android devices.

Collapse -
Cheap means popular
by mpias / September 15, 2013 11:37 PM PDT
In reply to: And yet....

When the vast majority of Android products are either cheap or free, of course the percentage is going to be higher. Cheap Androids are replacing feature phones. Add to this the fact that you're lumping many different brands and disparate models against one manufacturer and the percentage is naturally going to be higher. It's like saying that Ford, GM, Honda, Toyota, Hyundai, Nissan, Chrysler and Kia, ALL TOGETHER, sell more cars than Saab.

A device's popularity has little to do with its quality or usability, it's mostly price. Most people don't know or care enough to make an informed decision, they just walk into a store, see a phone that has a few apps on it and buy it based on the cost of the phone and service.

Collapse -
Love my GIII
by klagoosh / September 12, 2013 5:03 AM PDT

I have a GIII and really like it. Apart from the usual stuff you can expect with any new tech gadget, these days, like occasionally having to be restarted due to freeze-ups, it has really exceeded all my expectations.

I also use it for a Wifi hotspot for my laptop when I'm on the road, and it works very well.

As far as the updating, it does update quite a bit, but most of it is automatic, and it's hardly noticeable.

Maybe this is a big improvement over the GI. I don't know. But this works great, and doesn't have maps that send you who knows where.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.