Speakeasy

Praise

It's amazing what you can get Sears' delivery men to do.....

by Tony Holmes / February 26, 2012 12:02 AM PST

when you speak the same "language"($)...lol.

I bought a Vizio 47" tv in 4/08 with a protection plan,it was rock solid until 12/11 when the display began deteriorating.I found the receipt 2 weeks ago and the plan was for 5yrs when I thought it was 3!

Sears gave me a $1K credit so I went there on Fri to "shop" for a new one.They had a Samsung 55" Smart 240hz 3D on sale for $2100 so I pulled the trigger on that."Our installers will deliver it tomorrow and set it up ,free of charge".Great,a beautiful set for $1100?..fugeddaboutit.

They get here about 1pm and I notice it's 2 Spanish guys from the city(NY).If you tell Sears to wall mount your TV,you will be charged $329.

As they unpacked it,I pointed to a wall mount I had on the floor and asked the guy in charge in Spanish:"Hey bro,how much in cash to hang that right now?".

"Give me $100 and we'll hang it ,sync it to your network and give you a class job,our tools are in the truck".

They were in and out in a half hour,did a first class job and I saved over $200 and the trouble of doing it myself.

Looking forward to watching Daytona in 2D-3D conversion later today Happy

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: It's amazing what you can get Sears' delivery men to do.....
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: It's amazing what you can get Sears' delivery men to do.....
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Speaking of "speaking the same language"
by JP Bill / February 26, 2012 12:21 AM PST

and you being a Toyota mechanic

I was reading a Toyota Camry maintenance manual

How to change FAN AND GENERATOR V BELT

Slowly turn the drive belt tensioner clockwise in more than
3 seconds,
and remove the drive bolt by using SST.
SST 09249-63010

Can you explain the meaning of "in more than 3 seconds"?

Thanks

I may rain on the race today Sad

Collapse -
I'll take a guess at that one
by Steven Haninger / February 26, 2012 12:58 AM PST

I'll bet they're trying to clarify the word "slowly". They've learned that some don't understand the term and respond with "wadayameanbydat"? Happy

Collapse -
Ok,going by the fact you said "turn slowly clockwise to.....
by Tony Holmes / February 26, 2012 2:56 AM PST

remove" tells me it must be a newer vehicle with a serpentine(single)belt system.I'll try to explain in terms you can understand.

I can't remember which the Camry has at the moment but Toyota uses two different tensioners on their serpentine belts.One is spring/pneumatic and the other is spring/hydraulic(engine oil pressure) and they have the same cautions:

When you turn the tensioner clockwise to remove the belt,turn it slow and steady(hence,more than 3 sec).

If you "pump" the tensioner or turn it too quickly,depending on which type it is,you will empty it of either air/oil and it will become "Flacid"...lol.

This isn't necessarily the end of the world though,either type tensioner will recover from your error if you know why the engine sounds like hell when you start it.A deflated tensioner will make you swear the engine has a rod knock when you start it and will scare you!

The trick is to just let the engine idle and don't "wing" the gas in anger,just be patient..If you wing the gas before the tensioner quiets,the belt is still loose and you run the risk of throwing a $40 belt into the garbage when it flies off!

HTH

Collapse -
RE: turn it slow and steady
by JP Bill / February 26, 2012 4:37 AM PST

OK..."more than 3 seconds"....that explains it.

and It's an 05 Camry...doesn't need a belt..I was just filling in time reading the maintenance manual, and wondered what they were trying to say.

Thanks.

Collapse -
(NT) So you hired them to do private contracting on Sears time.
by Roger NC / February 26, 2012 10:30 AM PST
Collapse -
Ah "Ethics 101",no I wouldn't say that.
by Tony Holmes / February 26, 2012 7:52 PM PST

These were not hourly paid Sears employees driving a Sears truck who cheated their company,I wouldn't have said a thing if it was.

This was a self employed private contractor,driving his own truck with one of his employees and I have no idea what his agreement with Sears stated.As far as I know,he was paid to unpack and plug it in.

I'd say it's perfectly alright for him to do work for me after he fulfilled his obligation to them.I was gonna do it myself later this week and had studs and mounting position already marked off.He could have told me no and I could have said no to his quote but it turned out to be mutually agreeable.

Sometimes you can be surprised if you just ask someone.

Collapse -
I bought a portable dishwasher from Sears catalog
by Diana Forum moderator / February 26, 2012 10:47 AM PST

a long time ago. They delivered it but left it on the step. I asked them to bring it into the house and was told they couldn't do that. I was living with my grandmother at the time and there was no way for us to lift it into the house.

I called Sears and explained my problem. She kept telling me that the delivery man couldn't bring it into the house. Everytime she said that, I told her to come and pick it up. I didn't want it.

Not only did they send someone out, he brought it into the house and set it and showed me how to use it.

Diana

Collapse -
Good for you,I always try to get the shipping level........
by Tony Holmes / February 26, 2012 8:12 PM PST

defined beforehand whenever ordering something big.

There's three levels,'curbside','threshold'(put the box inside the first dry area of the house) and 'white glove'(unpack,carry in and place it).

If I can't lift it up,I always ask for white glove delivery Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.