Speakeasy forum

General discussion

It Physics of some sort

by Willy / March 15, 2013 2:33 PM PDT

No matter what I gather about "dark matter" it will reel in something about the state of current physics. The tangle of physics of not only the cosmic but also the quantum variety. They become linked one way or another. I haven't really gotten anything that pin-points what dark matter is, other than theory. I understand this is still an unknown but overall it seems to grossed over and/or humped into the current state of physics. It's hard enough trying to figure things out and then separate one theory from another that has nothing to do with the other. BUT! it's all linked in some grand scheme of some sort. While, I have always stated here and elsewhere I probably could never understand the math involved, it sure seems like many of the models are purely hypothetical in nature or merely a step-up from present understood "standard model theory". Further, while I query about about dark matter, soon enough dark energy becomes tangled in as well. They become more in focus as the "dark subject" as you can't mention one w/o the other. As i have stated in the past,, the best proof has been on the "galactic scale" of things. It takes that much to show something. In other words, the universe is the lab and no amount of high-energy collisions at CERN, Livermore or any other collider is going to prove it. While the Boson-Higgs particle and all it implies is the result for now, what does that do for dark matter. No link that I can think of. Maybe, I missed it but it shows mass(how it provides) and maybe can be attributed to neutrinos and the like which are mysterious particles too. It's not like a jigsaw puzzle and you try to join the pieces, it's more like thinking there is a jigsaw puzzle and you can't find it but theorize what it may look like while you look.

I just finished another book, called: Scientific American, Cutting Edge Science, Extreme Physics. Somewhat impressive but lacking in anything for dark matter. Maybe a few lines on dark matter and energy but nothing that smacks of a clue. However, a link is provided for further inquiry on physics:

http://www.rosenlinks.com/saces/exph/

http://www.physicscentral.com/explore/action/camera1.cfm <---decent article and more links

enjoy -----Willy Happy still looking (o,o)

E = MC2 uses that as basis....

? - If matter is less energy, how does it not lose matter as it just "is" while its active or remain active particle?

? - If energy is not matter, when it loses energy does it become matter?

? - Vacuum energy or dark energy really the basis for the cosmic constant? And if so, why do galaxies remain as a whole yet still fly away from each other in the accelerating universe? Shouldn't that imply that everything fly apart.

? - Why is gravity so different from the other 4 known forces?

Answer back, and win nothing because no one know anyways, it's all theory. -----Willy Shocked

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: It Physics of some sort
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: It Physics of some sort
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Your third, or possibly 4th question
by Ziks511 / March 16, 2013 2:10 AM PDT

Why if everything is flying apart do galaxies stay roughly the same size.

Galaxies coalesced out of the uneven spread of energy following the Big Bang. Once they settled into physical form and converted to matter they are then bound by gravity, and many are centred on black holes. Gravity keeps them together even while galaxies are moving away from each other.

Matter can be expressed as a quantity of energy. It just takes a lot of effort and energy to release that energy bound within the atom, hence the Atomic Bomb.

Energy is expressed in Electron Volts, which are not the same as the Volts in your household current. Generally the energy in atoms is expressed in Millions and Billions of Electron Volts, because if you multiply the mass of an atom times the speed of light squared, you're going to come up with a huge number.

The Hubble Constant or Cosmic Constant is a theoretical number for a steady-state universe neither expanding nor contracting. If the observed number is higher then the Universe will collapse, if the observed number is lower the Universe will continue to expand. Since we cannot come up with an observed number, owing to an unquantifiable amount of Dark Matter/Energy, we still can't figure out the answer to that question. but the speed of expansion should at least give us an indication that it is lower. But this is Physics, if it makes sense, it's almost certainly wrong.

Why is Gravity different? It may not be. We just haven't figured out the math to prove it does indeed mesh with the other forces Magnetic, Strong Force and Weak (nuclear) Force (or have I just confused those two). It's hard enough to wrap your head around the concept that Magnetism, the Strong Force which binds atom to atom in compounds and the Weak Force which binds Proton to Proton in a Nucleus, are all part of the same set of equations. Yes, we now know there are particles called Gluons (really) which carry the Weak Force which binds larger particals called Protons to one another. However since I don't grasp Mathematics on this level, all I can do is nod with as much comprehension as a bobble headed dog in the back of a low-rider.

Rob

Collapse -
Yeah, but...
by Willy / March 16, 2013 3:52 AM PDT

If the "big bang" did occur and it allowed after time matter to mesh to build, etc., from slowed down particles when did gravity come into play. Since gravity needs mass to make it possible or so I thought. I've gotten the particle idea before any atoms came about and tend to accept it. But, you see alot is going on and then it happens, an atom is born. But, it maybe smashed and release energy to yet again become particles, until further cooling slows down the "collisions" as it were. Physics are stating that "gravitons" particles are the basis for gravity, in other words, a matter of mass that is totally dedicated to gravity or so it seems. How does Boson-Higgs come into this as they provide what is now mass to a particle? You see how all this bounces around and becomes the basis for theoretical assumption. Take me home, Sally!

I trust in particles so why don't they fly apart? They have energy and are bound to itself, why doesn't it finally slow down and stop. Is this the perfect state of matter like perpetual motion. If it takes energy to zip around, isn't any of it lost and what does this lost energy become, since it has to be conserved. If I take the cosmological stand that the universe will eventually cool down so much it will freeze or really stop once acceleration finally ceases or expands forever that the distance is so great it cools down that way. We learn all this from our POV in the galaxy stuck in our point of reference. Does that suggest a lot hubris on our part?

Give me another few weeks to ponder, sometimes I daze into w/o even realizing it and it seems to gel bit by bit.

I make the theory that any galaxy is a bubble that presses on the next bubble and when one event happens to one pushes one galaxy it effects the other as they accelerate. You may think of a gravity bubble rather than a gravity well. The bubbles in turn become larger as they distance from one galaxy to another increases, yet still bubbles connected(touching) until I suspect may reach a breaking point. I have to ponder more at that point.

My other POV is what does the edge of the universe look like?(if on the other side?) Is it a roiling border or a wall of some sort, maybe of light. -OR- light behind moving particles(dark) that yet are before the big bang illumination period that follows. -----Willy Happy ...another steamy nugget of thought

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.