Computer Newbies

Question

IT career advice. Starter

by saziz111 / January 23, 2013 10:08 PM PST

I am new to the IT industry. driven to this career by passion for computers. I have been working helpdesk role for about 1 year now. There are so many fields out there - cloud, networking, project mangement, Which one is for me? Where do i start?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: IT career advice. Starter
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: IT career advice. Starter
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: IT career advice
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 23, 2013 10:20 PM PST

I see good programmers being bad project managers. And I see good project managers being bad programmers.

So decide what you're good in and follow that path. A career test might help (see http://www.careertest.net/ for example, although you might prefer a face-to-face one with a local office). But also ask your manager for advice; he might have a good idea of your stonger (and weaker) points.

Best of luck with your career.

Kees

Collapse -
Answer
Start with A+ . . .
by Coryphaeus / January 25, 2013 12:19 AM PST

and get a certification.

Get a copy of Mike Meyers' Comp TIA A+ Guide to Managing and Troubleshooting PCs, fourth edition. Exams 220-801 and 220-802. I use this book and the enclosed CD to teach A+. It covers XP, Vista, and W7. It covers virtually all hardware. Hundreds of practice test questions and examples. Learn it.

If you feel confident about your knowledge, take the practice tests before you read the book, see where you need to freshen up.

The next edition will cover W8 and more of the latest hardware.

Next, do Net+.

Collapse -
Answer
Another slant...
by Zouch / January 25, 2013 1:43 PM PST

Ask youself what it is you REALLY like about IT. You say you have a passion for computers - ask yourself is that for the computers themselves or the applications thereof? You've worked a Helpdesk (well, done, I couldn't have!) so you obviously have some interest in solving problems - does that extend to providing solutions in the first place?

Why am I asking all these questions? Well, it is a truism that if you want to progress to the higher echelons of a company, you should be associated with the product line - you usually can't do it in a service department and hit some kind of "glass ceiling". If it truly is the computers that inspire you, I would seriously suggest you consider a computer manufacturer, where you can be associated with the product line. As well as the big names you will already know, there are many smaller companies doing really exciting stuff. Get yourself along to a trade show and take a look around - it will be an eyeopener. Think maybe Development or Sales Support?

But if it's the application of computers that inspire you, go with an end user company, preferably one with a progressive business outlook in a field that also interests you - technology of some sort would be an obvious choice. If you can get a general introduction to all aspects of their IT operation, take a careful look at what really drives you and move in that direction.

Hope this may give some thoughts. Good Luck!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.