Computer Newbies forum

Issues with MSN"s

by noabody / May 22, 2013 6:25 AM PDT

I've been using MSN's e-mail for 12+ years as Now they switch to Outlook, and I'm not sure if it's something I've done, or if it's Outlook. I always thought that Outlook was praised for their security, so maybe it was me. I've been very careful over the years about malicious programs out there, some I learned first hand. OK, here's the "stupid me" part. I'm too old to be playing video games, but I can't help it. So, after playing for a couple weeks, I decide to see if there are any cheats/hacks out there. Now, I'm not sure exactly when my Outlook problem started because I don't check my e-mail every day, but it seems like it started about the same time as my snooping for hacks. When I try to log into, I get the red "X" over my padlock (I use Chrome), and the site name changes to, and my computer warns me that I'm headed in the wrong direction, so I back out of it. Outlook seems to be the only program affected though. Anyways, I've been going back through my files from the "cheats" day in question, and deleting everything that shouldn't be there. I think I've got almost everything outta there, but I was reading the ol' "Registry Cleaner" thread, and thought I'd ask if this may be a good time to use one, or if I should just leave it alone. That was a long story to get to such a small question!! Sorry 'bout that. Oh, and I'm running Windows 7 and have Kaspersky Anti-Virus (for years) and it seems like its kept me alive so far.... Ummm, yep I'm done.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Issues with MSN"s
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Issues with MSN"s
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Outlook And Are Two Different Things
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 22, 2013 8:28 AM PDT

Outlook is an email client which is installed on your computer.. It downloads mail from whatever ISP sends you email.. is a Microsoft online mail client like Hotmail or MSN.. In order to check out the "ins and outs" of, you'll need to visit their website.

As to the possibility of spyware being received by your ramblings on the internet, it's entirely possible you've done so.. Although Kaspersky is a good antivirus tool, it isn't perfect when it comes to detected spyware and adware.. So, try getting a second opinion from both of the free malware scanners in the links below.. Download, install, update, then run a full system scan with both tools.

Hitman Pro

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
That's a typical URL
by DanceGypsy / May 24, 2013 5:12 AM PDT

Hi, noabody. I agree with anything and everything Grif Thomas says, as he's computer deity to me, but those "" addresses are typical since MS switched hotmail to As far as your computer warning you that you are headed in the wrong direction, I haven't a clue. You might need to add your assigned "blu" address to your trusted sites.

Collapse -
Thank you all
by noabody / May 26, 2013 12:51 PM PDT

I really appreciate the feedback!

Grif, I did a check with both HMP and Hippo. HMP found 112 threats, 5 of which were in the "serious" category, and after that, Hippo found an additional 5. I sent both reports to Kaspersky, just giving them a heads up like, "Hey, I'm payin' you guys, and these guys found all these threats for free?!". Plus, maybe it'll just give them some more ammo against future attacks. Both were great recommendations.

Dance, I did hear back from a Microsoft rep who told me that you are indeed correct. I guess the blu address is valid for It's always nice hearing it from a second source though, so thank you.

Safe surfing,

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.