Samsung forum

Question

Issues connecting Galaxy S3 to computer.

by BArrigo / December 7, 2012 2:35 PM PST

I have been having issues connecting my Samsung Galaxy S3 to my computer since the day I got it from AT&T. The computer registers that something is plugged in but will not bring it up in "Computer" as a hard drive and Samsung Kies tries to connect to it and brings it up by its Product Number "SGH-I747" but again will not connect. Has anyone else encountered this problem, and if so did you resolve it and how.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Issues connecting Galaxy S3 to computer.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Issues connecting Galaxy S3 to computer.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
On another Samsung phone? Yes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 8, 2012 12:32 AM PST

I had to go to samsung.com and get a driver for that phone. After that it worked. Since this was a PC issue and not a phone issue, ATT and Samsung don't give free support.
Bob

Collapse -
Specifically the Galaxy S3.
by BArrigo / December 8, 2012 1:58 AM PST

I have tried manually downloading th drivers and on multiple different computers. AT&T Customer Service is trying to tell me it is because I don't have USB tethering available on my cell plan, bu those two functions should have nothing to do with one another.

Collapse -
Tell more
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 8, 2012 5:00 AM PST

You write "connect" but what does that mean?
Bob

Collapse -
Specifics
by BArrigo / December 8, 2012 7:14 AM PST
In reply to: Tell more

My computer registers that something is plugged in, but it won't be accessible on the computer whether as a hard drive in "Computer" or as a media device in Kies or Windows Media Player. It's like they won't communicate with one another.

Collapse -
Then get to a PC forum.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 8, 2012 1:14 PM PST
In reply to: Specifics

This still sounds like one of the usual Android PC connection issues. I don't have enough clues to offer anything beyond the driver issue. But last week a member had some antivirus that blocked the connection. If you feel the device is defective, have the support show you connecting to some PC. ANY pc.
Bob

Collapse -
It's not a PC issue.
by BArrigo / December 8, 2012 3:20 PM PST

I have tried connecting it to 3 different computers and multiple cords to see if that was the problem as well. My question is mostly just has anybody else experienced this problem while using a Galaxy S3 from AT&T. That way I can know if it something specifically wrong with my phone.

Collapse -
No I haven't.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 8, 2012 3:45 PM PST
In reply to: It's not a PC issue.

But I've had the same issue with many PCs. I have to look at what's up. My last advice was so they could show you it working, My friend's S3 connected right up. It looks like you need to do that one last test. Have them show you it working. If it's the phone, they won't be able to connect.
Bob

Collapse -
Yes same issue with same phone
by pPaal / April 9, 2013 7:14 PM PDT
In reply to: It's not a PC issue.

Yes, I'm trying to help my older college with the same issue as you are experiencing with your phone. I have tried to update the driver with no luck, I have also tried manage computer an update the communication serivce and the serial ports with no luck as well.
Really don't have a clue on how to slove this.

Collapse -
After helping a few fix it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 10, 2013 1:42 AM PDT

I think this is usually solved with your computer guru, drivers and sometimes a new usb to micro usb cable.

Why? Over the past few months I found a few cables that would charge but no data connection!
Bob

Collapse -
phone problem
by Krasus941 / March 26, 2013 11:16 PM PDT

I have the same problem and it seems like the problem is partly my phone and my computer. When I connect it my pc says that it doesn't have the driver software and then I downloaded and installed the driver and it didnt even work it just kept repeating the same thing and I got it to work once but I had to wiggle it a bit but then I had to move it then went back to saying the same thing

Collapse -
Answer
Link, comments.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 9, 2012 1:22 AM PST
http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/SGH-I747MBBATT and in their FAQ search I type PC CONNECTION to find the troubleshooting.

The fact you see the model in Kies tells me it's connected. But LET'S COVER SOMETHING ABOUT ANDROID and SEEING IT AS A HARD DRIVE. This applies to all Androids.

The default action is for Android to ASK on connection what type of connection it will be. Charge, USB Drive and there is a checkbox to never ask again. I find many owners struggle with changing that setting once they checked off the never ask again.

Since that change moves around the android systems I'll supply the way I find it on my android phone. On mine it's under Settings, PC Connection, and there is the Default Connection type and the Ask Me is unchecked (my carrier set that unchecked by default which could cause all your confusion.)

-> You bring up a good point. Should we expect owners to look around for this?
Bob
Collapse -
Another thing to consider.
by ThatPooterGuy / September 28, 2013 9:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Link, comments.

Another thing that may be a good question or to consider is whether or not you are using the original cable that came with the phone. Why? The micro USB cable that comes with the phone is an 11 pin connection. The standard I believe is only a 5 pin. With that said, you may not be getting the right connection if you are using an after market USB cable. I read all of the answers and not once did I see this mentioned. This applies to the Galaxy SIII, Galaxy Note and any newer models of the above mentioned models.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.