The CNET Lounge

General discussion

issue with cnet video podcast feeds?

by alligator768 / June 11, 2010 2:55 PM PDT

starting fri morn (6/11) none of my cnet video podcasts are downloading anymore to my doggcatcher android podcatcher app on my moment--they simply display 'failed' in the download status icon.

Oddly, cnet audio (ie, cnet to the rescue) and other video (geekbrief) work just fine.

I found in the thread titled "When is BOL published?" a reference to "moving to the video feed"... is this the cause? is there another thread somewhere i'm missing which details the issue?

thx

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: issue with cnet video podcast feeds?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: issue with cnet video podcast feeds?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yes, there have been massive issues!
by raygun01 / June 11, 2010 4:34 PM PDT

It's basically been a perfect storm of issues that all hit at one time... as a result, a number of problems arose around the encoding/uploading of our video d/l's to our CDNs.

But as far as I'm being told, the issues should be pretty much ironed out going forward (PLEASE be true! I hate it just as much as you do when the feeds are wonky like this.)

So please stick with the video feeds. Normally, they work perfectly. It just so happens that a few significant changes to our encoder setup triggered a chain reaction of crud that muddied the waters. Sorry!

Collapse -
Video podcast not downloading on Doggcatcher
by atranchina / June 12, 2010 8:31 AM PDT

Hey Jason,

I didn't know if this issue was considered fixed or not. I am still not able to download any video podcast from Doggcatcher for Android. I subscribe to The Buzz Report, Loaded, and Car Tech and all of them are failing.

Thanks,
Andrew

Collapse -
video podcast error
by DanLongman / June 12, 2010 9:40 AM PDT

Yes I am having the same issue, as well none of the video podcasts are downloading, bol, first look, buzz report, ect are all showing up and sitting at 0% done.

I am using Juice podcatcher

Thanks.

Collapse -
Any Update?
by BreakingSeether / June 15, 2010 12:37 AM PDT

I can't get the video podcasts to work for any of the cnet podcasts. I am able to download them to my iPOD using iTunes on the iPOD but then it starts to play and kills itself. This is current as of the 6-14 podcast as I tried downloading it last night as well as and no such luck.

Collapse -
Still can't get videos...
by hollyhock / June 17, 2010 12:59 PM PDT

I deleted all the RSS feeds (SD Video RSS) from my MP3 player and added them all again. Thought that might help since I thought the problem was supposed to be fixed. No luck. Sad

Collapse -
iTunes Yes, DoggCatcher No
by scottkuhl / June 13, 2010 10:08 AM PDT

iTunes seems to be working, but DoggCatcher still is not. Hope this info helps.

Collapse -
cnet video podcast problem
by atranchina / June 14, 2010 6:01 AM PDT

Yeah, I don't really understand myself. If I go to a video feed in the browser, it loads, but when subscribing via doggcatcher it fails (same exact url). It's like there is something about the file that doggcatcher doesn't like.

Collapse -
download problem
by MrPhlash / June 14, 2010 12:10 PM PDT

They're not working with ipodder either. My other podcasts are downloading just fine.

Collapse -
And me
by spooksman / June 14, 2010 5:53 PM PDT
In reply to: download problem

+1 for not getting the audio podcast for the 14th. Using DoggCathcher on Android.

All other podcasts are fine.

G

Collapse -
BOL audio rss still not load on Doggcatcher
by bparas / June 15, 2010 3:20 AM PDT
In reply to: And me

As of 06/15, 10:15a PST, I too still can't Doggcatcher to update the BOL audio rss feed. Had to manually download the episode and dump onto my Evo yesterday. Please advise.

Collapse -
Trouble with PSP RSS Reader as well
by sean.flaherty / June 15, 2010 1:41 AM PDT

I use my PSP to download both audio and video CNet podcasts. They stopped working for me as well. I came to the CNet forums thinking it was just a PSP problem, but it seems like other people are having trouble also.

Glad to see someone is taking a look at this!

Collapse -
BOL Audio
by atranchina / June 15, 2010 4:55 AM PDT

Yeah, that's another issue besides the video podcasts problems. I noticed the shows are on the website, but looking at the RSS feed, it's simply not there.

Collapse -
RSS MP3 feed not updated.
by bparas / June 15, 2010 5:15 AM PDT
In reply to: BOL Audio
Collapse -
y'all know you can just go to bol.cnet.com, right???
by robstak / June 15, 2010 12:22 PM PDT

i mean, i totally agree its RLY annoying... but some ppl are talking like theyll never be able to hear episodes. just an fyi Wink

Collapse -
kind of
by atranchina / June 15, 2010 1:54 PM PDT

You could go bol.cnet.com but I think most people actually listen on mobile devices while in the car. I'm on an android. My gf listens on her iPhone.

To keep on topic though, this thread was actually started to help find a solution to the video feed problems.

Collapse -
Rss feed updated!!
by bparas / June 15, 2010 2:51 PM PDT
In reply to: kind of
Collapse -
Feed may be updated, but still no downloads
by alligator768 / June 16, 2010 7:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Rss feed updated!!

I too, see that DC has noticed a new episode available, but alas, i still have the same problem from last fri, all CNET video files fail to download on android.

I tried to use m.cnet.com to stream a video, but that doesn't quite work to well when you're zipping down the freeway at 70--as another poster mentioned, i typically listen/watch to the during my commute.

btw, the tivo feeds work fine, in case no-one's mentioned it yet.

Collapse -
Encoding issue.
by atranchina / June 16, 2010 9:02 AM PDT

I'm thinking they changed something about the encoding of the video and perhaps it's not compatible with DoggCatcher. I don't know much about producing video, but I really hope it gets fixed soon. I hope they don't think "Well it still works in iTunes" and leave it like that.

Collapse -
Google Reader has trouble too
by friaf1111 / June 16, 2010 9:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Encoding issue.

After not seeing an update in Listen on my Android, I checked Google Reader as well and saw that although it gets the updated podcast, it can't play it.

Collapse -
So audio feed working, NOT video?
by bparas / June 16, 2010 9:32 AM PDT

So is it safe to say, that the audio feed is working and downloading fine but the video feed is still a problem?

Collapse -
yep
by atranchina / June 16, 2010 9:33 AM PDT

Only audio works.

Collapse -
doggcatcher updated
by atranchina / June 16, 2010 4:23 PM PDT

An update to the android doggcatcher app has been released on the market and it works with the cnet video feeds again. At least for me. Yay!

Collapse -
Also working for me
by scottkuhl / June 17, 2010 1:13 PM PDT
In reply to: doggcatcher updated

The DoggCatcher patch also fixed my issue.

Collapse -
Any from CNET working on this?
by scottkuhl / June 16, 2010 10:40 AM PDT

Is anyone from CNET actually reading this thread or working on this? Please reply with some sort of status update. This has been going on for a while and I feel like we are in the dark.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.