Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

issue with belkin router

by la321 / July 13, 2013 9:55 AM PDT

when i am on using their chat people that are talking conversations stop but when i refresh i see new messages i have a video of the problem i have a belkin F5D8236-4 the problem was fixed until my router was disconnecting a lot the problem is back

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: issue with belkin router
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: issue with belkin router
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
So why not dump that router?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 13, 2013 11:18 AM PDT

You claim you found the issue so why keep the belkin?

Collapse -
by la321 / July 13, 2013 12:52 PM PDT

the problem was solved but after my internet was disconnecting and the router going out itself the problem started again

Collapse -
And again.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 13, 2013 1:02 PM PDT
In reply to: issue

You claim it's the router and since a router is optional we can, on almost all internet connections try it without the router.

Collapse -
by la321 / July 13, 2013 2:36 PM PDT
In reply to: And again.

i've already tried it connecting directly and its the router because the issue is not on my desktop i changed some settings with help from belkin rep but router disconnected yesterday all night the problem came back belkin doesn't seem to listen when i tell them to look back at the logs to make sure none of my settings were changed

Collapse -
Then it is the router.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 14, 2013 3:18 AM PDT
In reply to: router

Change to another one that doesn't have the issue.

Sometimes folk get fixated on keeping a router with an issue. I kept mine in spite of a known bug but the maker offered an old firmware to hobble along while they sorted it out.

As I don't work for Belkin, I won't know if they have a fix so we use the more common fix. (Replace the bad thing.)

Collapse -
by la321 / July 14, 2013 5:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Then it is the router.

I reset the router and used the same settings that was used to fix it. the router disconnects a lot what are good routers and companies that have good support

Collapse -
Well, Belkin has been good for many.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 14, 2013 9:58 AM PDT
In reply to: reset

I've used Netgear, Cisco, Dlink, Linksys, Buffalo and well have yet to try those new arrivals but for me, almost all work without too much fuss.

But not one has what I would call good support. Even my issue was not on their radar and I had to apply what I know (I wrote router code over a decade ago) to extend the issue that was reported to use a workaround.

Now it works but imagine if there is still some other bug or issue? As such you rarely find anyone tell you which is the best. But here, I rarely see any issue with what you see on the shelf for sale.

Collapse -
Cisco DPC3925
by la321 / July 23, 2013 4:10 AM PDT

I have a cisco dpc3925 modem/router from mediacom they are using it to monitor my internet to see if its my router but it turns out the problem happens with another router the internet disconnects but the problem i mentioned with the chat i fixed it on my belkin by disabling firewall, dmz, change wireless channel mode, turn off protected mode and enter port numbers along with description the name of website i don't see these settings in the cisco they are named differently anyone know where these settings are?

Collapse -
Need more.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 23, 2013 4:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Cisco DPC3925

One client has all the above troubles and let me dismiss all the above and share what we found.

In this case the hardware was pretty good. But it can be debated if the hardware should have been dropping out but that debate is not one I'll entertain.

What was it? It turned out the client was TORRENTING a movie that was new and in the theaters. The only reason we found out was that the client was a paying client and we sent out a tech to observe and report.

After we found out that, it was clear why it was dropping out. Torrent users know why but I can't explain why they feign ignorance about this.

Collapse -
by la321 / July 23, 2013 6:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Need more.

I don't torrent and this issue is with router settings which belkin support helped me with thats how i know what settings to change its a wireless problem but cisco doesn't have these settings i've searched through it i'm trying to see anyone that is familiar with cisco that knows the settings the problem on my router was fixed with belkin utility setup

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 23, 2013 6:16 AM PDT
In reply to: cisco

Why would Belkin supply a router to the public with settings that would crash like that?

Or why would any maker supply a router that would have issues if the owner changed them?

Back to the Cisco. Now it sounds defective as well. The Belkin, even with those changes only proves there is flaw with said router.

Collapse -
Is this your new Cisco?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 23, 2013 6:24 AM PDT
Collapse -
cisco provided by cable provider
by la321 / July 23, 2013 8:10 AM PDT

the cisco modem/router was provided by mediacom my cable provider to check to see if the slow speeds are going to happen with their router and it did turns out the problem isn't my router i had a cisco stand alone modem before this combination i didn't have the problem with the website because i had my router with settings changed

Collapse -
by la321 / July 23, 2013 8:13 AM PDT

i went to i see the settings but not the ones i mentioned these are named differently and i see port numbers but they have more than one areas under different categories

Collapse -
Sounds familiar.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 23, 2013 8:17 AM PDT

To adjust such things you would need a proper manual (I don't have it) and if not just use your networking knowledge to configure.

I think about 98% of the routers I change settings on the only info I need is getting to the page you are seeing.

Collapse -
by la321 / July 23, 2013 10:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Sounds familiar.

the router won't be here long they will be taking it back this week but i just wanted to change the settings to not interrupt the website i've been through it and don't see it their support doesn't see it a well

Collapse -
cisco gone
by la321 / July 24, 2013 10:07 AM PDT

the router is gone i'm back to using mine the problem is fixed with my router

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.