Samsung forum

General discussion

Issue with Auto Motion Plus setting changing

by BradleyPetro / July 16, 2009 10:40 AM PDT

I have an issue with my new LN55B650, 120hz lCD I just purchased. I'm one who has mixed feelings about the Auto Motion Plus. I seem to like viewing most programming with the Auto Motion Plus off. Problem is I change the setting to "OFF". About 20-30 mins, the setting will spontaneously return to "STANDARD" is the middle of watching. No Channel Change, no touching at all to the remote.... Do I have a setting incorrect that I don't know about?

Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Issue with Auto Motion Plus setting changing
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Issue with Auto Motion Plus setting changing
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
re:
by tyrexden / July 16, 2009 10:57 AM PDT

The setting is independant of source input. for instance, COMPONENT input will have its own setting, HDMI will have its own setting, USB input will have its own setting...

Even, each 'mode' will have its own setting, ie, MOVIE, STANDARD, etc.
are you sure you didn't change any of that?

Incidentally, i've seen a review of auto Motion (which i agree with) which recommends, setting BLUR reduction to 10 and Judder Reduction to 0. You should try that before turning it off altogether. i actually keep BLUR and 10, and the Judder Reduction at around 3.

Judder reduction at 10 makes that 'soap opera' effect, which is weird to look at, but not necessarily good.

Collapse -
Issue with Auto Motion Plus setting changing
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 16, 2009 11:19 AM PDT

BradleyPetro,

Sounds like your television is in shop mode.

To remove your TV from Shop mode, follow these steps:

1. On the bezel itself (not the remote) push the MENU button down for about 12 seconds. You should see "Dynamic" appear.

2. If that doesn't work, you may need to briefly push the volume button up first, release it, and immediately push down the MENU button for about 12 seconds.

After that, you should be able to adjust your settings so that they stay.

Keep me posted.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Auto Motion
by Traffic1980 / January 14, 2011 1:26 AM PST

I have a different issue. I turn the auto motion off and all is ok. I turn the TV offor a while and when I turn it back on I get the jittery effect on two channels, TNT & TBS. The setting still shows auto motion off. If I turn auto motion on than off again, everything is ok. Is this a cable station problem or the TV? These two stations seem to be the only ones I have a problem with. I have Samsung Series 6300 UN55C6300

Collapse -
Auto Motion
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 17, 2011 8:27 AM PST
In reply to: Auto Motion

Chessman56,

If it's just two stations, it could be a broadcast issue. In some cases, some stations use time compression, which can negatively affect picture quality. That may be the case here. It'd be hard to pinpoint or troubleshoot that, since nobody except the broadcaster knows if they're changing the speed. Even a slight difference can cause the picture quality to vary.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Follow up to auto motion
by Traffic1980 / January 17, 2011 9:59 PM PST

I also have a Samsung 40 inch, 6000. Does not seem to have that issue on those stations with this set. Could it be that the effect gets amplifed on a much bigger screen?

Collapse -
Auto Motion
by otherray / March 7, 2011 9:00 AM PST

I have the exact same issue with a 630C. Samsung is sending me a new TV, but the problem is clearly firmware.

If I set the TV to 'game mode' then that disables auto motion plus and it remains disabled even after cycling power to the TV.

It happens to me on other channels as well, but TNT is definitely one where it shows up. Same channel works great on older 60Hz Samsung model.

It seems the TV is enabling some portion of AMP when the TV is turned on unless it is in game mode.

Oddly enough I have found if I turn the TV on, enable AMP, turn AMP off, and then turn AMP to Clear that the problem also goes away for me (until cycling TV power again).

Samsung - this isn't a 'signal' issue. It is probably a signal issue causing AMP to misbehave, but it isn't a signal issue causing AMP to engage again when cycling TV power (even though AMP still shows Off in the menu, it isn't really 'off').

Collapse -
Auto Motion issue
by Traffic1980 / March 7, 2011 10:09 PM PST

What did you have to do to have Samsung replace the tv? You described my issue perfectly and I really do not want to have to change the settings every time I turn the TV on. Does putting the TV in game mode make the picture any different?

Collapse -
Auto Motion
by otherray / March 8, 2011 10:21 AM PST
In reply to: Auto Motion issue

I called support and they sent a repair man out. He wasn't able to do anything (replaced the board, but it was the exact same board/manufacturing date as what I had). So I had to place a second call to support. They tried to get the repair guy back out to fix the problem. I told them there was nothing the repairman could do - it is a firmware issue. But they insisted... The repair company refused to come out again. They 'allegedly' spoke to an 'engineer' at Samsung who told them it was my cable service (funny, I don't have cable...I have DirecTV, and the clip I have on my DVR readily reproduces the problem and, that same clip, shows the problem 'cured'). So I had to pitch a bit of a fit. In fairness the support rep I spoke to agreed it sounded like a firmware issue, but they can't seem to convince anyone.

So they told me they'd send BestBuy the amount I paid for the TV so I could then purchase another. I bought it on sale, and the current Best Buy price is higher than what I had paid before. So that didn't set well with me. So they decided to ship another to me. It should be here in another week or so.

I know it won't resolve the problem though...

But...I did find something else other than 'game mode' that works. The problem with 'game mode' is you turn out being limited on your video and audio settings... But...if you go into the service menu (power off, mute, 182, power on) and set the model number if options to a similar model TV that doesn't have Auto Motion Plus (in my case I chose an LC550), power off and back on again...now turn Auto Motion Plus off (yes, it still shows as a feature even though the model chosen doesn't have it, or that is my understanding). I can then power the TV off and on and AMP really does remain off (no jerkiness to the video on the clip). I obviously can't tell Samsung I did that...of course, that pretty much nails this as a firmware bug since the problem is completely cured by merely changing the model.

BTW, with the model number changed like that I still have the ability to turn AMP on. However, if I leave AMP on Clear and power off/on then the jerky motion comes back again on these clips. So it doesn't 100% cure it...but it at least does allow one to really keep AMP off (and I want to make it clear should someone from Samsung read this - AMP still shows 'off' when the jerkiness appears...but setting it on and back off again makes the jerkiness go away).

Something in their firmware re-enables some portion of the chip that does AMP.

BTW, I do have the latest firmware from Samsung's site loaded.

And please...don't try the model number setting. I will obviously be setting it back to the correct model number before it gets shipped back to Samsung. But if the new TV still has the same problem (and I'd almost bet money on it since they won't believe this is a firmware issue), I intend to set the model number on it and move on with life... And I'll be attaching a note with details of the problem to the TV in hopes that someone that actually cares will find it. I'm certain some firmware developer at Samsung would love to know the details of how to reproduce the problem and how to 'fix' the problem with these settings...and I bet it'd make them say "oh...that's going to be over here in this code...". But unfortunately I don't think such things ever get communicated back to the right people.

So Samsung...if this isn't a firmware issue...then please tell me why Game Mode makes the problem go away. And tell me why changing the model number to a lesser model also makes the problem go away (mostly). Clearly not a signal issue. And it does happen with other stations and with my BluRay. It just isn't quite as easy to reproduce as the clips that have been discussed.

Collapse -
New TV works
by otherray / April 24, 2011 12:51 PM PDT

The new TV Samsung shipped no longer exhibits the problem. I am able to keep AMP on Clear and there is no jumping. Thank goodness. The firmware version reports the same as the old one I had replaced. I'm thinking there may be a hardware revision difference that allows the firmware to work properly. Or an undocumented firmware fix snuck in... Anyway, if you can convince Samsung to replace it...it'd be worth a shot.

Collapse -
Auto Motion Plus Issue
by Traffic1980 / April 24, 2011 12:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Auto Motion plus Issue

I already tried this before your reply. Did not work. My TV is not in shop mode and I still have the problem. I put it in Game mode, it is the only thing that works.

Collapse -
by ibanez77 / April 24, 2011 10:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Auto Motion Plus Issue

Oh, sorry it didn't help. I feel your pain, the tv is impossible to watch with the auto motion plus on especially when your watching movies ( it's good for sports though). I had all the symptoms you described and this fixed it.

Collapse -
Auto Motion Issue
by Traffic1980 / April 25, 2011 12:05 AM PDT
In reply to: reply

Just wanted to make sure your problem is the same as mine and one of the previous commenters: Do you turn AMP off and about a half hour later its back on? With mine, if I turn it off it is fine all day until I turn the TV off & back on. Then the problem is back. And even though the AMP setting says off, it isn't.

Collapse -
auto motion plus issue
by ibanez77 / April 25, 2011 5:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Auto Motion Issue

Yea, mine would revert back to AMP in standard mode after I shut the tv off and tuned it back on again, even though I had selected off

Collapse -
Auto Motion Issue
by Traffic1980 / April 25, 2011 10:55 PM PDT
In reply to: auto motion plus issue

Hate to be a pain but one last question. Did the menu display for AMP say "Off" when you turned it back on or did it change back to "Standard" My display continues to show "Off" even when I turn tv off and then on again. But AMP is still active even though the display shows "Off".

Collapse -
Exact same problem
by TheECP / October 26, 2012 3:23 PM PDT
In reply to: Auto Motion Issue

I'm having the exact same problem, whenever I switch to my game mode input, and then switch back to my HDMI 1 input, it automatically turns auto motion plus on, even though the setting says "off" I have to turn it on and then off again every single time to fix this. Were you ever able to fix this problem?

Collapse -
Check one thing before you call it in.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 26, 2012 3:28 PM PDT
In reply to: Exact same problem

I find that Shop or Demo mode is often still engaged when you see this issue. Just something to check before the call.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.