TVs & Home Theaters forum

Resolved Question

ISO digital media receiver to use with flash

by tmzamiska / December 19, 2013 1:10 AM PST

HELP! I'm looking for a way to use the internet on my TV. Specifically, I subscribe to a site that has videos using adobe flash. Xbox won't play the videos as they don't support Adobe Flash. Can the new Xbox do this? I basically want to use my TV like a browser or monitor without having to always hook up my laptop to it via HDMI or wireless. Chromecast maybe?? I've looked at options but I've not been able to discern what the best option is for me. Thanks!

tmzamiska has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: ISO digital media receiver to use with flash
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: ISO digital media receiver to use with flash
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by tmzamiska

Collapse -
It looks like you want a PC.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 19, 2013 1:18 AM PST

OK, how about a wireless HDMI setup?

There is nothing to date that would meet your list. I own the ChromeCast.
Bob

Collapse -
thanks!
by tmzamiska / December 19, 2013 1:35 AM PST

I was really frustrated when I realized that the xbox wouldn't support flash. WTH? Anyhow, thanks for confirming that there isn't anything that works the way I want it to. I'll stick with the HDMI cord for now. Happy

Collapse -
You might try the ChromeCast.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 19, 2013 1:47 AM PST
In reply to: thanks!

It's cheap and if the web site plays in Chrome then I can cast that tab to the TV. HOWEVER it's still not good enough IMO. But for 35 bucks I am getting what I paid for. I added a few example items from amazon but the first while being close can be too hard to setup.

ChromeCast is, well, how I put it? Worth a try for the bucks.
Bob

Collapse -
PS. At the home, office
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 19, 2013 1:48 AM PST

We have between those places, ChromeCast, wireless HDMI and of course wired HDMI to connect things.

Collapse -
Example screen caster.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 19, 2013 1:43 AM PST
Collapse -
Answer
Bob is correct
by Pepe7 / December 19, 2013 2:25 AM PST

Finding a dedicated HTPC sounds like a must for your situation. Nothing else is currently up to the task unfortunately. Small HTPC & HDMI cable is still king(!)

Look at Plex server while you are at it.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.