Office & Productivity Software forum

Resolved Question

Is Word 2003 compatible with Windows 7

by Poopsiedo / September 21, 2011 4:26 AM PDT

I have just installed a new computer, Dell XPS 8300, 64 bit. It is a great computer and I love it. My problem is that it came with the new Word Office 2010. I am 77 years old and very used to my old Word 2003. The new Office Word is so much different and I just do not want to bother with having to learn all the new stuff, It is very confusing. Also my husband is 82 years and it is very frustrating to him.
My question is can I install Word 2003 on the new compute? Also will the data on the new Word automatically go on the Word 2003 or do I need to uninstall the Word 2010. I still have the backup CD from the Word 2003 and could easily reload it.
Please help, I hope that I have explained this sufficiently. I do not know all the computer lingo. Thanks so much for your help.

Poopsiedo has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer »
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is Word 2003 compatible with Windows 7
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is Word 2003 compatible with Windows 7
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer as chosen by Poopsiedo

Collapse -
Re: Word
by Kees_B Forum moderator / September 21, 2011 4:35 AM PDT

I've installed Office 2007 along Office 2003 under XP. Both work, but if you switch from one to the other they go through their setup routine again.
So when I installed Office 2010 in Windows 7 I left out MS Access, so I could install Access 2003. Works flawlessly/

I don't expect any problems if you uninstall the Office 2010 first, and only then install Office 2003.

Kees

Collapse -
Answer
So far.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 21, 2011 4:31 AM PDT

This is not going to be easy. Here I could uninstall 2010, install 2003 and after we get Word 2003 all patched up install this -> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/924074

The compatibility pack will allow you to open the new 2010 documents.

So far I have not attempted to install Word 2003 along side 2010.
Bob

Collapse -
(NT) Installed Word 2003 in Windows 7
by Poopsiedo / October 28, 2011 1:52 PM PDT
In reply to: So far.
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.