Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Is Windows Firewall Any Good??

by stinman / September 9, 2006 2:15 PM PDT

Is the firewall that comes with my computer(dell E310 media center edition 512ram 80g's pent 4)a good enough one.I have Trend Micro PC-illian,the personal firewall kept knocking me off line(wireless Linkseys G router& adapter)so I turned it off and went back with windows firewall.I don't get knocked off now except when renewing my IP address.Also John told me to get Spywareblaster,I did.What do you get to remove spyware.I only keep getting 3.I think they are in my system restore.I don't think the're bad,they come from 365live,,and is yahoo,they keep trying to get my phone num.trend blocks them.I'm just trying to learn!!Thanks Again!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is Windows Firewall Any Good??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is Windows Firewall Any Good??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Good enough
by john_mcdoogle / September 9, 2006 10:40 PM PDT

I'm not a huge fan of any software firewall, considering them all to be about equally worthless, but the Windows firewall is good enough for the majority of people's uses. I know plenty of people will disagree and ramble on and on about how it doesn't do outbound protection, which is untrue, and a whole host of other things. The protection afforded by any software firewall is like a wet tissue at best, so one is about as good as the next.

I often see the misguided argument that programs like ZoneAlarm or Sygate's firewall are good for keeping malware from reporting back. I say it's misguided because it seems efforts would be better spent on making sure such things never get on your system to begin with. Not just giving up before the fight even begins, and focusing on damage control. I shamelessly lifted someone else's tips of some simple ways to keep yourself safe from virtually all malware, which I'll include at the end.

If you've already got some malware, then the first thing to realize is that sometimes there is no way to remove it short of formatting. Sometimes, even if you do remove it, the damage to the system has already been done and is irreparable. It's fine to hope this isn't the case for you, but it might not be a bad idea to make some backups now while you still have a working system.

After that, download and install as many of the free scanners as possible, since no one program will catch everything. You also have to be careful in that some programs claim to get rid of malware, but come bundled with their own malware payloads. The ones I trust include Spybot, Adaware, whatever Microsoft is calling theirs now, Ewido, and Housecall (an online scan).

Once you get them all installed, you should turn off system restore and do all your scanning in Safe Mode. Otherwise, there are protected areas that the malware could hide out and use to resurrect itself. If you don't know how to do this, a few minutes searching with Google should be all the education you need.

Finally, the tips I borrowed from someone regarding avoiding malware in the first place. It's up to you to follow them, but the more you do, the lower your risk of problems.

1: Don't use, with the lone exception of getting new security patches, Internet Explorer or any browser based on Internet Explorer. Make a choice between Opera or Firefox, and avoid IE like a diseased animal that should be put down
2: Avoid using Outlook and Outlook Express
3: Avoid all file sharing programs
4: Avoid all pirated programs
5: Make sure to keep current with all security updates which Microsoft tends to release every second tuesday of the month. It's the one and ONLY time you should be using Internet Explorer

Collapse -
had following:,,and
by DarCLew2 / September 10, 2006 9:37 AM PDT

I went to internet options in the control panel, tp privacy tab, click on that. You will see Sites, click on that and type in the sites [ hit enter key,, enter key & enter key and they will be blocked. I have 65 sites blocked.
Darrell Lewis

Collapse -
Firewall - Router
by Merl Priester / September 10, 2006 12:32 PM PDT

Since you are behind a router, the Windows Firewall and the router do the same thing, stop incoming hack threats.

I do not use a software firewall on any PC behind a router. It can cause LAN network problmes, not always but it can. Routers typically stealth port scans just as a software firewall does.

Collapse -
Is Windows Firewall.................
by 09Bentley / September 10, 2006 12:38 PM PDT

I guess it's all subjective. If you never receive a certain virus, is it because your firewall kept it out or because it never tried to install on your machine? You can never prove a negative.

That said, is there no way to lower the degree to which
your PCillan firewall blocks incoming data? Certainly it must be adjustable. But, again, there is no way to be sure that the firewall kept out the malware! If you are satisfied with the Windows firewall, OK. It's your choice.

Since you have three instances of spyware, they can be removed by installing and running AdAware SE Personal (freeware). Google it and you will get a website where you can download it.

You say that TrendMicro blocks net.365 from getting your phone number. I guess this is proof that it blocks outgoing transmission of data. I'm sure that you consider this desirable. I had HEARD, but have no
proof, that Windows Firewall only blocks incoming data.
In fact, I think I read this on Cnet Forums and it came from a forum Moderator. I am sure that you consider this to be undesirable. If you are satisfied with the Windows firewall, OK. I am using another vendors AV program and I like its firewall. Nothing against TrendMicro, in fact I have used their free scan (housecall) and found it to work very well.

Therefore, I suggest that you either play with the settings for your TrendMicro, or go to their website and ask them directly how to do this. You paid for it!
Learn to use it in the manner you desire.

Besides the AdAware, I suggest you go to
and download SpywareBlaster. This program stops spyware from ever being installed on your machine, and is a good program to use with AdAware for an occasional
spyware scan.

I guess it is a good idea to run an AV scan with TrendMicro while in "Safe Mode". This leaves viruses no place to hide and pop up later. For ASW, I believe it is enough to go off-line. Good luck and good browsing!

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.