Computer Newbies forum

is windows defender program adequate for security?

by Needssomehelp / April 14, 2013 9:03 AM PDT

I have a new HP Pavilion 23 running Windows 8. I had hard drive errors, and possibly a virus, which Office Depot fixed. The repair tech suggested I activate Windows Defender. He said McAfee (which I have) is having too many "issues."

I would appreciate feedback on this topic. As noted in my previous postings, I am concerned with viruses, spyware, malware, adware, etc.

I would appreciate feedback on the subject.... Thank you!!!!!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: is windows defender program adequate for security?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: is windows defender program adequate for security?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
This is simply no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 14, 2013 9:26 AM PDT

Not one protection guards against everything. That is, you may encounter folk that think such protection should work even if the owner installs a bad thing.

OK, hold on a moment. This is a -> Personal Computer <- where you can do almost anything you please, including installing malware and more. So the real answer is for us to not install anything we are unsure of.

Did you figure out where the virus came from?

Collapse -
Bob, I downloaded MS Malicious Software Removal Tool
by Needssomehelp / April 14, 2013 4:10 PM PDT
In reply to: This is simply no.

Yes, this a personal computer.

I read Botnet info on CNET site. FOOLISHLY I downloaded it from that site even AFTER I had a message that the site might not be safe. That seems to be when the problems started...

I have trial version of Norton now. I will go back to McAfee or possibly Defender. Along with 2nd anti-malware program, which I would like additional info on please.

Collapse -
At home
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 15, 2013 12:44 PM PDT
Collapse -
Now using AVG
by Needssomehelp / April 16, 2013 5:55 AM PDT
In reply to: At home

I ended up with AVG, and I will also use Malwarebytes and SuperAntispyware. WOT is also a great site!!!

I am still using Internet Explorer. Is it used too much to be a safe browser???

Thanks again.

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 16, 2013 6:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Now using AVG

I'm a little put off by Microsoft thuggish behavior on Bing and search. And if there is a browser to exploit you target IE.

With other choices such as FireFox, Chrome and others, just using something that is not as targeted you can avoid some of the exploits. WOT added to FireFox and Chrome give you a heads up it's not a good site.

Collapse -
Problems/Mcafee, etc.
by pgc3 / April 16, 2013 12:09 AM PDT

Personally I'd stay as far from Mcafee as possible. IMO defender does NOT cut it! Some are using MSE in conjunction with Windows defender and seem to be getting by. A lot has to do with browsing habits as Mr. Proffitt said, there is nothing that protects everything all of the time. Again, I was alluding to Windows 8 and using Microsoft Security Essentials along with Windows defender. MSE as you may already know is a free download offered by MS, just another idea. Good luck!

Collapse -
Yes it is, but...
by gordon451 / April 26, 2013 12:43 PM PDT

First, most important: NEVER have more than ONE anti-virus running at the same time. By the nature of what they have to do, they don't play nice together. It gets worse: because they are constantly monitoring each other, they fail to see the real threats. And then they can be targeted by the malware.

OK. Windows Defender is no worse than other AVs. However, it is Microsoft, and as such is expressly designed for people who don't know very much about computers (at least in Microsoft's opinion). That means it is preset and basically forget. But it is free. And, yes it does work.

Better than other AVs? If you are knowledgeable enough to fiddle with settings (eg: Avast!) then no.

Your IT tech was correct in his assessment of MacAfee. Like Norton/Symantec, it is "bloatware", and that's where the "issues" arise. For example, 10 to 20KB increase in registry size.

You also raise a separate question, "Is it used too much to be a safe browser???" Oddly enough, no. The problem with IE is that while it has more security options than any other browser available, they are too complex and require information that the average user doesn't have. It's a bit like you climbing into the cab of a modern semi-trailer prime mover: there are things in there you never see (or hear of) in a mere sedan/wagon. Good old Microsoft strikes again!!!!

In short, if you like it simple, use Windows Defender. If you like a bit more control, then Avast!, AVG, Kaspersky, and many more would be suitable. And Bob has one thing right: "Not one protection guards against everything." On the other hand, if your AV misses something, it will be picked up soon in the updates. All--and I mean ALL--AV publishers have a vested interest in protecting your machine. So keep the updates coming, leave it on automatic and let it do its thing.

Collapse -
Thanks Gordon
by Needssomehelp / April 27, 2013 5:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes it is, but...

for replying... I always get such good advice when I post on CNET... That being said, who can tell me what CNET stands for???

I set up my AVG AV to run 4 times a week... just now thinking would daily be better when I log on, but maybe that's overkill???

I've started asking friends which Browser they have. I would be interested in "simple folk" computer classes, if you get what I mean.... I've worked on computer programs for different companies for many years and I really do enjoy it. I feel my biggest challenge today is finding a job for the "over 60 crowd."

Thanks for listening to me vent!!!

Collapse -
No worries
by gordon451 / April 28, 2013 5:32 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks Gordon

Um, first, the AV... "Always on", cob. If it's off, it's just like your limo: it ain't going noplace. Even if you're not surfing, the AV is still looking at stuff you may have picked up weeks, months, years ago. All of them have one basic in common: if you open a file, they suss it out before you get to play with it. And also while you play with it.

OK, CNET. Try "C" for "CBS", "NET" for "Internet". Look in the page footer, "More">"About CNET"...

Browsers... FWIW, I use K-Meleon 1.6.0b2 (active development has ground to a halt, unfortunately), Opera 12.01 (I am not ever getting their WebKit versions), and IE9 (it came with W7, and is possibly the greatest disappointment since IE3). I might upgrade to IE10 if somebody can give me a good reason--maybe if K-Meleon breaks too much.

Collapse -
Window Defender
by sksat2004 / April 27, 2013 12:10 AM PDT

IMO anything that downloaded from the PC will give you some type of issue sooner or later. in the security for PC, that's same.IE and Bing always has issue if use as your main page, my PC always got the problem and need to closed the program and never able to check what the cause of this problem.

In the PC security, McAfee is the worst I had encountered in the pass, the past few years, I I had switched company products, each time when the time for renewal, renewal from the PC by download the newest versions, that's the problem each time I did, after short time or in month or two after the downloaded, always have security problem, last three years. I use ESET, first year loaded from disc, no problem, renewal time, loaded from PC, for a month, problem, after many solved the problem, finally did the recovery, at the same time, ESET has a sales and bought a disc. no issue, two months ago, time for renewal, forgot the pass problem by renewal through the PC, now it get worst again, the entire ESET file is no where to find it in my PC, still trying to look at where to hide the file, temp. depending on free site for security, now I looked at the past, yes, each time renewal through the PC, I got problem.

What I believe is no products is perfect, can not depend one product fix all, but to have each in the pc for sure.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.