The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Is Windows 7 fast or just new?

by aMUSICsite-22314524647241 / January 15, 2009 10:03 PM PST

I seem to remember everyone saying XP was faster when it was launched.

But after a few years of using it, a number or OS updates and patches, some real applications and a few hundred Mb of logs & registry entries and it slowed down some what.

The same is true of OS X and probablly all OS's.

I was wondering if the comparisions flying around are taking this into account. I guess against a clean install of Vista (version 1) without any patches or usage
would probablly show it's faster as Vista was not ready at launch. But how about Windows 7 beta (unpatched) v XP (the original release unpatched).

Has anyone tried this yet?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is Windows 7 fast or just new?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is Windows 7 fast or just new?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
it's pretty quick
by mkddy / January 15, 2009 10:16 PM PST

it's pretty damn quick, and i'm running it on an old notebook. and zomg the standby/resuming of windows WORKS!

Collapse -
I'm using it on a gateway with a p4 1.8 ghz 1gig of ram
by hdradio20 / January 16, 2009 12:27 PM PST
In reply to: it's pretty quick

I'm using it on a gateway with a p4 1.8 ghz 1gig of ram

and its fast as hell way faster then xp but it won't sign in to myspace

Collapse -
Well actually..
by Nicholas Buenk / January 15, 2009 10:22 PM PST

"The same is true of OS X and probablly all OS's."
Not really so for OS X actually, this is a symptom of the design flaw that is the registry. Silly

Also I think it is probably really is faster. It was designed with netbooks in mind.

Collapse -
Finding it Fast
by PressAnyKey / January 15, 2009 11:48 PM PST
In reply to: Well actually..

I am running Windows 7 Beta virtually on my Vista PC and it's damn fast so far...

Collapse -
It really is fast...
by DKhoji / January 16, 2009 2:04 AM PST

I've installed it in a VMWare Fusion virtual machine on my Mac and directly on my MSI Wind netbook. It flies, this is particularly apparent on the netbook, where it is subjectively faster than Windows XP, even with the full transparent Aero Glass interface activated. Pretty much everything I have thrown at it so far works fine, all the devices on the Wind worked perfectly right away except for the microphone, which is much too quiet but I'm sure that's a minor problem. Out of the gate this is the most impressive Windows version to date. I would really say that it's already ready -- I'd love to switch to it right away.

Collapse -
Microphone problem
by Maresian / January 21, 2009 2:42 AM PST
In reply to: It really is fast...

I would agree. I installed it on an older notebook and it flies. Hibernating seems to be faster and more effecient than vista, not sure about XP, I kinda miss the progress bar for resume from hibernation.

Sorry, a little off topic:

Fix for the mic issue: Make sure mic boost is turned on. Sound properties, recording tab, double click on microphone, levels, and set the mic boost as high as you need it. Default is nothing so any little bit helps.

Collapse -
Sound card driver
by Starrhae / January 21, 2009 7:54 AM PST
In reply to: Microphone problem

I have the same sound card and had to go to their site to download Vista drivers and now it is working again

Collapse -
It's fast
by grahamm / January 16, 2009 12:33 PM PST

It really is fast, however I am having difficulty in installing the software for my new Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio card. Looks very promising....

Collapse -
Is Windows Fast or just new
by graymulwanda / January 16, 2009 4:26 PM PST

I have downloaded windows 7 and am very pleased with its perfomance.It is fast as Windows XP.I have activated it and is a genuine copy now and has all the full features.It is beautifly fast.My laptop boots in 35seconds.Even vista can be made faster if you remove some of the un necessary programs by use of vLite to trim it down, it will fly up to your satisfaction, as I did on my 3 computers at our work place its fast.Try Win 7 you will not regret.

Collapse -
windows 7
by ToushirouHitsugaya / January 17, 2009 12:23 AM PST

i seems to run fast i installed it on a old pc but i dont recomed doing this i had installed it on an old 450 Mz pentum III with about 350mb of ram it runs on it fine. runs about 80 to 90% of the ram but it runs off of it.

Collapse -
Not Much Difference
by sunder1990 / January 18, 2009 5:48 PM PST
Collapse -
Not Linux
by tashman / January 19, 2009 3:49 AM PST

The same is true of OS X and probablly all OS's.

Not at all. I have run linux for years and none of my machines ever run any slower than the did the first day I install the OS.

Collapse -
(NT) Running pretty good on my old machine.
by kwahhn / January 21, 2009 1:47 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.