TVs & Home Theaters

General discussion

Is Westinghouse a good brand?

by bkchurch / January 4, 2007 7:25 AM PST

Ok, so I know from experience that Vizio is crap, I've been told to avoid no-names like Olevia, but are Westinghouse TV's any good or are they just more cheap TV's with terrible picture quality?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is Westinghouse a good brand?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is Westinghouse a good brand?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Westinghouse name is just used as an off-brand nowadays
by NM_Bill / January 4, 2007 7:56 AM PST

Some years since there actually was a Westinghouse Westinghouse.

So many people see the off-brand price point & it's so affordable looking rather than even think of big bucks. The price drop trend has brought the proven quality close to the area where there is more risk.

There is now an avalanche of flat screen sales. 2006 being more than double of 2005.

The various technologies have gotten considerably better, but none is yet perfect by a long shot. Lots of not definitively solved issues. Not all of America has to feel guilty they're not buying one of these yet. But the time is nearing for many.

One example is LCD screens. Very hard to manufacture consistently near perfection. LCD screen makers inspect & then sell to TV makers as a variety of grades of perfection (or actually grades of imperfection. Screens without any obvious dead pixels get a premium price. The lower percentiles of freedom from imperfections go for rather deep discounts.

Guess which the steeply under a grand selling price set makers are using? Yeah, the ones with say 15% dead pixels. Then they cut other corners from that point on.

Part of what one buys is more probable assurity of reliability. With continuing significant downward price trends, in another year or two, many will be buying in at even greater values. First adopters do pay a premium to be 1st on the block. A DLP about comparable to what I got 3 years ago is now going for less than 30% of what I paid then. Oh my, the envy of todays' price for having to replace the old one then. And the trend should continue.

Collapse -
(NT) aka, the answer is no. they are no where near "good"
by masterying01 / January 4, 2007 8:27 AM PST
Collapse -
Ok then...
by bkchurch / January 4, 2007 8:28 AM PST

Guess I'll just wait for further price drops in brand name TV's, I should be able to afford something before summer.

Collapse -
From an owner. . .
by Coryphaeus / January 4, 2007 11:21 PM PST
In reply to: Ok then...

I have two 32" and one 27". They work perfectly. Good color, sharp pictures, no mosquito noise on SD broadcasts, decent speakers. I'm totally pleased with mine. And I'm hard to please as my big family TV is the 55" Sony SXRD. I don't buy junk.

Collapse -
(NT) 15% dead Pixels? Sure...
by BobStone2 / January 4, 2007 10:32 AM PST
Collapse -
Picked a number out of the air
by NM_Bill / January 4, 2007 11:46 AM PST

Take it figuratively, not literally.

Collapse -
Let's see...
by BobStone2 / January 6, 2007 12:38 PM PST

This one goes to Vizio, this one to Westinghouse, this one to Sceptre...Here's a good one, let's send this to Sharp. Yeah, I believe that!

Collapse -
They make 'em, they grade 'em
by NM_Bill / January 13, 2007 2:58 AM PST

& selling price is according to degree. Believe it or not.

Collapse -
Vizio
by fatal_foto / January 6, 2007 2:38 PM PST

I got a Vizio and I've been happy. One stuck pixel I just noticed is pissing me off. Other than that, TV looks great, Xbox 360 looks great.
Plus Costco has a generous return policy if you purchase from there.
Why do you say it's crap?

Collapse -
Because...
by bkchurch / January 7, 2007 2:12 AM PST
In reply to: Vizio

I bought a 32" Vizio from Sam's Club and when I got it home and hooked it up with my component cables the black levels were all over the place, there was WAY too much noise, and the colors on my old 32" SD CRT from Sharp looked WAY more vibrant, where on the Vizio everything looked way too dark. I admit I never got a chance to watch anything on it higher than 480p because I didn't have a 360 yet, but I don't have any reason to believe a higher resolution was going to magically make the colors look good, the black remain one uniform shade across an area, and not have mysterious areas of strange discolorations clearly noticeable in CG cutscenes.

Collapse -
480p
by fatal_foto / January 7, 2007 4:12 AM PST
In reply to: Because...

SD looks like absolute crap on the TV, it really does. HD and my 360 look pretty damn good though.

Collapse -
You must of got a Lemon
by liliceman77 / December 19, 2010 1:18 AM PST
In reply to: Because...

I purchased a 37" 1080p hdtv Vizio from Target. I was comparing it to the 37" Sony next to it and the Vizio had more vibrant color hands down. I got the Vizio for $200 cheaper than the Sony and it is better than the Sony. Vizio is #1 lcd HDTV company in America. It is also better than my 55' Samsung LCD 1080p hdtv that is in my family room. I was hesitant at first because I'd never heard of Vizio, but I'm glad I took the leap.

Collapse -
Did you notice . . .
by Coryphaeus / December 19, 2010 5:32 AM PST

this is a three year old thread?

Collapse -
WHY BUY OFFBRAND NO REASON TO?
by stewart norrie / January 7, 2007 6:42 AM PST

Rite now brand name hi-quality sets are selling for very reasonable price. I do not understand why some of you shop for price alone .I did see the walmart specials on display and they all looked like sh-t steweeeee

Collapse -
Well...
by bkchurch / January 7, 2007 9:03 AM PST

Because i'm 17 making minimum wage ($6.50) 15 hours a week, you do the math. I wanted to check if it was a good brand because if it was (which it is clearly not) I could get a 37" Westinghouse for the same price as a 32" Samsung. So my apologizes if "us people" who are on a rather tight budget (got college commin up in half a year) would like to save $500 by buying an off-brand if it's a lower price than the fancy name-brand.

Collapse -
Not worth the extra $$
by BobStone2 / January 7, 2007 9:58 AM PST

When I shopped for an LCD I looked at the Vizio 46' side by side with the Sony 46' Bravia. The Costco employee let me play around with the settings on both as long as I wanted. When I looked at both, I decided that the Sony was not $750 better than the Vizio, plain and simple. I've been very happy with the Vizio. I can use the extra money for a new home theater set up.

Collapse -
POOR PEOPLE TAKE NOTE
by stewart norrie / January 8, 2007 2:06 AM PST
In reply to: Not worth the extra $$

You think your poor? I just retired with only a little s.s. coming in I had saved some mula for a ranny day, but blew the whole wad on my home theater set up So know Iam broke like the rest of you. The reason I went for name brand equipment was I wanted good local factory warrenty service and before I bought anything I checked the phone book to see if there was a warrenty repair center in my area . I even hooked up with a custom home theater business I paid the same for my electronics as what the big box stores charged. but they gave me a lot of help and awsome customer service The truth is go cheap if you want but when you buy your speakers blow as much cash as you can have a nice day all POOR STEWEEEEE

Collapse -
FYI on Olevia
by bderou2 / January 12, 2007 8:23 PM PST

I'm in the process of looking for an LCD too. My best friend has an Olevia LCD, one of the 32" models, but I can't remember which one. I tell ya, for the price he paid for it, it's great! I'm sure not loaded either (and neither is he) so I have to get the best brand for my money. If I could afford one of those super-nice Sonys, but I can't. So I'm planning on getting one of the mid-range of the Oleivas.

It may be worth your time to check them out anyway.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.