Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Is weather.com download spy/adware free?

by klonestar / May 27, 2005 4:51 AM PDT

I think I remember someone here saying Weather.com's download weather page is adware and spyware free. Is this correct? Im ditching Weatherbug because of this. So Weather.com (The Weather Channel) will not show up on adware/spyware scans?

Or any other sites?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is weather.com download spy/adware free?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is weather.com download spy/adware free?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not spyware but adware.
by Donna Buenaventura / May 27, 2005 5:01 AM PDT

Is WeatherBug Spyware?

According to their website, Weatherbug is not spyware, however it is adware. It does not monitor, collect data or 'spy' on its user base, however the program is considered adware since the free version is ad-supported.

More in http://ww3.weatherbug.com/aws/notspyware.html

Also in http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/adware.weatherbug.html Adware.Weatherbug - The Weatherbug is a utility that shows current weather conditions and future weather forecasts for your locale. It is an adware supported product.

Minibug / Weatherbug isn't a major concern but it does has some potential privacy related things that you should be aware of. They do collect personally identifiable information. You will want to read over the EULA. A form of adware called My Search will also be installed on your system. You do get something decent out of this deal since you get reliable weather updates. If it weren't for the privacy issues and adware this would really be a nice program.

The built in uninstaller seems to remove things properly.

Collapse -
Weather.com is NOT Adware/Spyware
by paulp575 / May 27, 2005 5:01 AM PDT

Being a weather geek, I have been using their desktop weather program for just about as long as it's been available. And have yet to find any adware/spyware in it!

I regularily<sp?> run Ad-Aware and SpyBot and those programs have never identified any adware or spyware associated with Desktop weather.

Collapse -
WeatherBug vs. Weather.com
by klonestar / May 27, 2005 5:23 AM PDT

Thanks for the input! WeatherBug just drives me nuts with their "types" of adds!! Flashing, blinking, cover the whole screen type of hype! You must close the add to see the weather page!! Plus it shows up twice as adware/spyware on scans!

I know it is because I opt for the free versions which are supported by adds but the Bug takes it to another level! I even sent an email to WB support as their adds are so intrusive they are medically of the type that would cause seizures in some epileptics! It is 95% adware and 5% weather related!

Well im off to make the switch!

Thanks again,

Collapse -
Weather.com serves ads just like WeatherBug
by weatherbugjay / June 1, 2005 10:44 PM PDT

both Weather.com's desktop app and WeatherBug serve ads. The WeatherBug version that has been out since June 2004 serves NO pop ads. I don't know if the other weather apps can say the same, but all of them, including Accuweather's app serve ads. WeatherBug offers an ad-free version for purchase and I believe the others programs do as well.

Please check the facts.

Collapse -
Kind of off subject.
by bob b / May 27, 2005 7:28 AM PDT

I like to see what the weather is going to be but I don't have a need for national or world wide weather.

So I plug into one of my local tv stations which has a web page.

The only problem is they think everyone has broadband. (lots of graphics/local ads on their web page)
Whoever is posting the weather report is doing it from a room without windows.

Collapse -
weatherbug, DOES contain adware.
by dyspyzthespyz / May 27, 2005 9:48 AM PDT

Minibug is software that reports weather information from a taskbar utility. It downloads the larger ad-supported Weatherbug application. The Minibug is likely ad-supported as well. however is manually installed....anyway you look at it, it is adware, the free version that is, and for you to spat that is an insult not only to security experts on, but not limited to, Symantec, bleepingcomputer, iamnotageek, .liutilities, tomcoyote, pchell, spywareinfo, etc, but to all of us trying our best to keep known crapware off the unsuspecting person(s) system(s). like p2p applications, most have adware, spyware bundled in the downloads, the others continue to dial out for some reason. just a handful (of the free ones) are not bundled, but no guarantee as to how clean the files are.
now, WeatherPulse by Tropic Designs is free of spyware/malware and is good replacement for anyone using Weatherbug. and, It's free.

Collapse -
Re:Weatherbug Does contain adware
by klonestar / May 27, 2005 10:29 AM PDT

Umm, yep thats what everyone has said. Also why im getting rid of it. I will check out the tropical site!

Collapse -
your're welcome....
by dyspyzthespyz / May 27, 2005 12:17 PM PDT

and good luck.

Collapse -
Weather Pulse
by klonestar / June 3, 2005 6:17 AM PDT

Weather Pulse is good! I do miss the local region active movement when looking at the weather map but it is a good trade off non the less!

I went to the WeatherBug site just to check the "map in motion" once and couldnt do it. Now you must download WB to use any feature! Oh well! At least im not going dizzy getting the all intrusive "pop over" adware from WB. Nice the way they hid values in the registry and other areas making it a major chore to clean out all related junk from my puter! Back when I had Weather.com installed at lesat it did a clean uninstall! Happy

Did full systems scans with everything including HijackThis and am now finally adware and spyware free! I opted to print out a hard copy of my clean HJT log to compare for future log scans!

In all fairness again it boils down to personal preferrence! What are we willing to deal with to get what we want or dont want!

WeatherBugs price for no ads is a fair price however im just not enough of a weather geek to pay for a forcast and too old to be able to look at the dizzying pop over ads from WB.

Collapse -
do you use
by dyspyzthespyz / June 3, 2005 6:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Weather Pulse

Firefox? if so you can alos give forcastfox a try http://forecastfox.mozdev.org/
taken from a description of it... ''We've moved weather providers to AccuWeather.com

Collapse -
Adware free, freeware alternative to Desktop Weather
by JLitz / June 3, 2005 1:56 PM PDT

Weather Watcher by Singer Creatiooons is a free alternative to Desktop Weather by Weather.com that is also free of ads. I believe that this program atcually uses Weather.com's feeds intended for Desktop Weather users. It displays the same info and icons in it's own ad free interface. I have used this program for a couple of years now, and am very happy with it. The only thing even closely related to an ad, is a line at the bottom of the program window, written in small print, that says "Donate to Singer Creations". There is no special benefit to donating, You would not get some special upgrade, You would just be helping to keep improvements comming. You can download this program from singercreations.com, or download.com amoung many other sites.

Collapse -
Thanks everyone!
by klonestar / June 3, 2005 5:01 PM PDT

Thanks for all the helpful info. I will check it all out soon!

Collapse -
Does weather.com slow you down?
by wherehk99 / June 5, 2005 12:50 AM PDT

I'm a recent convert to Firefox, so I may well uninstall the weather.com desktop anyway, but I'm wondering whether anyone else had noticed a slowdown since installing it? How much space does it take up anyway? It seems handy to have but beyond the adware/spyware debate, anyone have a sense of whether it may be gumming up the works or whether I'm just attributing that to it...?

Collapse -
also, anyone tried Free Weather?
by wherehk99 / June 5, 2005 1:10 AM PDT

(apologies if i'm prolonging the conversation -- just saw the thank you msg after discovering this thread this morning...)
Collapse -
have not tried free weather
by klonestar / June 5, 2005 4:06 PM PDT

I personally have not tried Free Weather. Right now im using Weather Pulse its small in size so not a resource hog and no adware. It can/does link to Weather.com for a few options and I have noticed no difference in it slowing me down. Back when I did have Weather.com installed the only time I had to wait briefly was to watch the "weather in motion" feature but as soon as I changed pages all was normal. I was also on dial up back then!

No problem continuing this thread I opened it looking for all the input I could get. Im not a weather buff but I do live in the north east where the weather can change rapidly and I work outside, so weather does affect my daily quality of life somewhat. Im not a big fan of tv so prefer to get my info online.

Thanks for your input!

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.