Storage forum

Is WD7500AZEX a "Advanced Format" hard drive

by Magic-wand / December 31, 2012 12:08 PM PST

Are there 2 categories of hard drives, one is Advanced Format, the other Traditional Format?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is WD7500AZEX a "Advanced Format" hard drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is WD7500AZEX a "Advanced Format" hard drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Why yes there is.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 1, 2013 12:42 AM PST

But the spec sheet did not tell us these are the new 4K sectors. You may have to ask WD.

Why do you ask? I've used both types and the only time I see an issue is on outdated OSes.

Collapse -
How do I know a hd is AF type if the seller doesn't tell
by Magic-wand / January 1, 2013 8:30 AM PST
In reply to: Why yes there is.
Collapse -
Old and new
by Willy / January 2, 2013 1:57 AM PST

Depends on the seller(not always) to provide that when the "maker" usually does. What a seller may provide is a link to specs or maker's own support. There is only so much room for info and most sellers provide the basics. If you ever want a specific need or want direct data, then go to the source, the maker. AND yeah sometimes it doesn't make sense to the uninformed or those lacking knowledge on the latest developments until MUCH later explained in common lingo. Which is why those users that are on the cutting edge, get cut. Even I as an informed tech and such, get hosed because so much is being tossed out there. Even with notes, memos, phone calls, or links, etc., no one can know what's what until handled in practical terms.

Please explain your circumstances why all this is an issue. Let's hope this isn't an OS(XP) issue overall. But heck, one link I provide shows you can use an AF pgm. to get what maybe what you're looking for that product.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Is that the newer AF drives could automatically align?
by Magic-wand / January 5, 2013 9:32 AM PST
In reply to: Old and new

I read an article online the day before that the earlier AF drives are needed an Align software, but the latest ones are automatically aligned.

Few months ago, I installed XP to a 6G/s 2T drive which I did not know it is an AF drive then, but somehow, It has not caused any problem so far.

Collapse -
So it has 1,465,149,168 sectors.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 2, 2013 2:07 AM PST

From the data sheet. So 750,000,000,000 divided by 1,465,149,168 should be our clue. I get a number close to 512. What do you get?

Good question but since the spec sheet lets us figure it out, should we expect folk to know how to do this if they are in this deep with PCs?

Collapse -
It is only close to 512
by Magic-wand / January 5, 2013 9:41 AM PST

I just didn't know why the non-AF drives can be AF formatted but not vise versa.

Collapse -
And my 750,000,000,000 is only close too.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 6, 2013 3:29 AM PST

I don't want to upset you but by post was so you could figure it out given the existing documents.

Collapse -
Just one more question
by Magic-wand / January 10, 2013 3:28 PM PST

If an AF drive is formatted/partitioned in Windows Vista, 7, or 2008, is it still need to align?
In this case, is it compatible with windows XP?

Collapse -
That issue appears to be fading.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 11, 2013 12:26 AM PST
In reply to: Just one more question

At first it was a big deal. Today I rarely see anyone fret about it.

To the second question, no. Not really. XP has an 127GB install limit and no SATA support and I found that I could not use the SATA drivers unless I had XP SP2 CDs. So if we take your question as-is, the answer is no.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.