Linux forum

Question

Is ubuntu is an alternative to windows 8?

by stylexp / July 19, 2013 4:14 PM PDT

Can anybody tell me, is ubuntu operating system is an alternative to windows 8?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is ubuntu is an alternative to windows 8?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is ubuntu is an alternative to windows 8?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Yes
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 19, 2013 5:20 PM PDT

Not a Linux user myself, but I don't see why Ubuntu or other distros shouldn't be considered as alternatives.

Or do you mean mobile phone OS and similar? If so I don't know if Linux has developed such but I'm sure the Linux experts here will let you know.

Mark

Collapse -
LOL, Android is Linux based
by James Denison / July 20, 2013 2:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes

A lot of people don't realize that though.

Collapse -
Yep, I didn't know that
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 20, 2013 6:30 PM PDT

Thanks James.

Mark

Collapse -
Answer
what do you want to install Umbuntu on ?
by itsdigger / July 19, 2013 8:33 PM PDT

A laptop, a desktop, Touchscreen? Ubuntu is fine for a regular desktop with a mouse but it doesn't support touch screens , also if you want to install it on a laptop that you run off of the battery than Ubuntu would not be a good choice as it doesn't support power saver options and is a battery hog. Also if you are used to windows, you know about system restore to save us when we do something stupid and need to fix things. Ubuntu doesn't have a system restore. These are a few of the issues I didn't like about Ubuntu, other people love it...just an opinion though ...Digger

Collapse -
Easy Peasy Linux
by James Denison / July 20, 2013 2:41 AM PDT

Is one aimed at the laptop market.

Collapse -
when's the last time you used Ubuntu?
by dynamo_dave / August 3, 2013 1:16 PM PDT

It's not a battery hog and works fine with older tablet computers and can even work on newer android tablets. You can run full on Ubuntu or touch ubuntu. There are versions of Ubuntu for ARM or x86.

Collapse -
Answer
linux has come a long way, but still has limitations
by wpgwpg / July 20, 2013 3:25 AM PDT

I've used Ubuntu and Mint Linux on both desktops and laptops, and been impressed. Both have Firefox and the Thunderbird email client, and they work very well. They both have LibreOffice which is largely compatible with MS Office. These work with a Windows like desktop, making them pretty easy for Windows users to be productive with. One significant drawback is device drivers for things like scanners, some printers, and PCIe cards. The best thing about them is that they are free and supported. One thing I have mixed feelings about is the Linux file management. It's different from the Windows NTFS, and once you install it, you will have a h*lluva time uninstalling it; and you can't resize partitions either. Ubuntu has an option to work with the Windows file system (Mint doesn't), but it performs slower that way.
`
Good luck.

Collapse -
I use Mint 14
by James Denison / July 20, 2013 9:05 AM PDT

I have no problems accessing NTFS partitions in Mint Linux. NTFS partitions are shown in Linux in some commands as fuseblk type. Mint uses Gparted program on the LIVE CD / DVD to size and resize or move partitions, but for some reason it doesn't install the program to a harddrive install of Mint. It can be installed from Synaptic upgrade program, and provide a GUI access of partitions. Parted is available from the Terminal. GParted from LIVE CD or DVD is the easiest way to uninstall any Linux system or partitions. Windows FDISK will also remove Linux partitions.

Collapse -
interesting !
by itsdigger / July 20, 2013 9:16 AM PDT
In reply to: I use Mint 14

when you use FDISK to remove the partition is all of the disk space reallocated to c drive?

Collapse -
No
by James Denison / July 20, 2013 9:52 AM PDT
In reply to: interesting !

FDISK will not add them back to C drive and leave windows intact. FDISK just shows Linux partitions as "Non-Dos". If you accept the option to Delete Partitions in FDISK, you will see the linux partiton only as "deleted non-dos partition". You can use GParted in Mint or KParted in Kubuntu to safely add partitions back to the end of windows partitions, but shouldn't try doing that to the front of a windows boot partition.

Collapse -
HAHA. I just figured that out James
by itsdigger / July 20, 2013 10:20 AM PDT
In reply to: No

deleted the Linux partition and tried to extend the Win 7 partition but couldn't so I rebooted windows and OOPS ! No Grub something or the other. Lucky for me I made the System Image Discs and in no time Win 7 will be up and running again and than on with my learning experiences. Wonder what flavor of Linux I'll play with next Devil

Collapse -
I know in XP
by James Denison / July 20, 2013 12:16 PM PDT

you could run FIXBOOT and FIXMBR and be up and running, don't know about W7. I remember my short time using Vista, there was a diskpart command one could use, but I didn't play with it much before I nuked the Vista. What you describe is why I put a separate /boot partition for GRUB in Linux, so even if I get rid of some or all Linux systems, the Windows will still boot from the GRUB.

You could install a small linux system with a separate /boot partition, and it would find Windows and you'd be right back into it. You could then remove the other Linux partitions if you wanted and just leave the GRUB to access Windows.

Collapse -
Doesn't W7 have a repair function?
by James Denison / July 20, 2013 12:20 PM PDT

If all you deleted were the linux partitions, nothing in Windows changed, it's the same as it was. The change was when linux was installed and GRUB took over. When GRUB is removed, you have to reset the windows Master Boot Record and that should put you right back into Windows.

Collapse -
I ran the repair disc
by itsdigger / July 20, 2013 1:09 PM PDT

and tried to repair Windows start up to no avail, so it was real easy to just restore from the image disc, 13 minutes and I was up and running, let it do a few updates and done. I'll be installing another distro soon so when I decide to get rid of it I'll try another method of uninstalling. So far I like Linux Lite and Zorin best. Right now I'm looking at a Gentoo based system called Sabayon (Gentoo for beginners) . We'll see lol...Digger

Collapse -
Answer
Yes, but not a drop-in replacement
by 3rdalbum / July 22, 2013 12:54 AM PDT

Ubuntu is certainly an alternative to Windows 8, in that many people use Ubuntu for the same things they would otherwise use Windows for.

You can work with office documents, do web surfing, watch videos and listen to music, access your e-mail, edit videos and photos from your camera... most things you can think of can be accomplished on Ubuntu. And it's a lot nicer to use than any Windows.

However, it's not a drop-in replacement for Windows. You can't run Windows programs. Okay, some can be made to run in a special compatibility layer, but don't come to Ubuntu expecting to run all the same programs and games you used to use. Popular open-source programs from Windows are generally available on Ubuntu, though; like Firefox, Google Chrome, VLC, Scribus, The Gimp.

Ubuntu is also quite different to Windows in terms of how it runs and how you accomplish certain tasks on it. Ubuntu is not difficult to use, it's just different and you'll just have to learn the differences.

So, the short answer is yes: Ubuntu is an alternative to Windows 8. But it's not "Windows-8-but-with-a-different-desktop". It's not "Windows-but-looks-different". It's Ubuntu, and it stands on its own.

Collapse -
again! I have to ask the OP
by itsdigger / July 22, 2013 6:01 AM PDT

what do you intend to install Ubuntu on ? Everyone's giving these opinions without knowing what the op wants to do with it so....?

Collapse -
Why?
by 3rdalbum / July 26, 2013 7:49 PM PDT

Apart from a handful of corner cases, any computer you can run Windows 8 on will run Linux. So there's no need to ask "What sort of computer are you using" because the OP implies that they are using a computer that is capable of running Windows 8. They're obviously not talking about their mobile phone or iPad.

When you say "Ubuntu doesn't support touch screens and it's a battery hog", that's simply not true. Linux has native drivers for touchscreens (preinstalled), and its battery use is roughly in-line with Windows 7. I use Linux Mint on my netbook and I get about eight hours out of its battery, less if I'm watching movies but that's to be expected.

Collapse -
I have personally found Ubuntu to be
by itsdigger / July 26, 2013 8:23 PM PDT
In reply to: Why?

a battery hog on laptops and Ubuntu works fine on touchscreen Android devices but have yet to see a touchscreen laptop or desktop computer using Ubuntu

Collapse -
let me amend that
by itsdigger / July 26, 2013 8:36 PM PDT
Collapse -
Can't tell
by 3rdalbum / July 31, 2013 12:26 AM PDT

Just because you have had a bad battery experience, does not mean that the OP will too. It's pretty well impossible to know before time whether you're going to have a battery life problem, and most people don't, so you can't really say "Don't use Ubuntu if you have a laptop". Besides, you can always try it out on the Desktop CD before installation.

Linux has supported touchscreens since the invention of touchscreens, probably. Many are supported, and not just the ones on mobile phones and tablets. If you have a tablet PC you are statistically more likely to have an older one, so it's more likely to be supported.

Collapse -
I can't claim that now
by itsdigger / July 31, 2013 3:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Can't tell

since I haven't tried v13.04. Prior to this version I would stand behind all of my statements.

Collapse -
I'll tell.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 31, 2013 3:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Can't tell

Just to fill in a hole (one of those knowledge dark spots) I ran up the latest Android x86 on a touchscreen Asus x202e.

Now before you write that's not Linux, check again.

OK, everything worked. I was shocked.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
ubuntu operating system
by livepcexpert7 / July 23, 2013 8:37 AM PDT
Collapse -
Answer
Ubuntu works great....
by dynamo_dave / August 3, 2013 1:26 PM PDT

Especially on newer hardware. I just made a new computer and it is amazing finally using Ubuntu on a good machine (I've used it for years on sub-par hardware, which it works well on also). If you mostly need a computer for web-browsing, Ubuntu is as good as anything. In fact you could argue that it is better as you don't need to worry much about viruses as it is way more secure than windows (any Unix-style operating system is by nature). Plus Ubuntu is way, way more powerful as a server than any version of windows or os-x. You can set up an ftp server or ssh in a matter of minutes. Samba (windows filesharing) is only a few clicks away in Ubuntu. If you like tinkering with computers, nothing beats Linux.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.