TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Is toshiba a good brand?

by ayalajd / June 27, 2007 4:21 AM PDT

I need help trying to find a good reliable LCD TV in the range of $1300-$1600

I bought the new Toshiba Regza 42in and ahd to return it twice, because when the screen was completly black it had some kind of white cloud shapes, I tried to test it watching the movie Doom which is prrety dark and the second TV was actyally worse than the first one, my wife loved the TV, I mean overall it had very good picture quality, but I guess those bright lights bother me.

Do you guys know of a brand that doesn't have this issue? I read that some sony models have the same issue.

Now my wife wants me to get the same TV, since looks like this clouding effect is in all LCDs, Is this a true statement?

Is Toshiba a good decent brand? Is LG better than Toshiba?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is toshiba a good brand?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is toshiba a good brand?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
typically, yes
by batman823 / June 27, 2007 4:33 AM PDT

Yes, toshiba is typically reliable. If you've had problems with the same model twice, I wouldn't recommend going with that same model again. LG has also been around for a long time. I'm not absolutely sure about their TVs but I'd be willing to say they are a safe bet.

I have a tiny 32" Westinghouse 32w3. I have had no problems and have nothing but positive things to say about it. I would honestly recommend buying a Westinghouse. You will get more screen size for the buck and it's a reliable company. They have good customer reports and start offering full HD at 37" screens with excellent results. the only thing I've heard bad about them is some people say the black level isn't as deep as other brands that cost $300-$400 more for the same screen size. But if you're not that picky and you have a budget, then I wouldn't worry about the black level. Like I said, I don't have any complaints.
Maybe I'm just going out on a limb, but I'd trust a company that makes nuclear reactors(westinghouse) over a company that makes cell-phones(lg)

They are all good brands. I've heard some issues about Samsung and Sony is a little pricey. But that's just my $.02

Good luck on the hunt.

Collapse -
Cloudding effect
by ayalajd / June 27, 2007 4:49 AM PDT
In reply to: typically, yes

I'm not that picky about the black level, I mean I want a solid color, I don't really care if is more gray than black, taht is fine to me, what I'm trying to avoid is the Clouding eefect.

Do you think this can be a random problem? or pretty much when a particular model has it all the tvs (same model) would have it?

Collapse -
by batman823 / June 27, 2007 9:38 PM PDT
In reply to: Cloudding effect

I think that it's random. Some brands are better than others. But some people will disagree with each other as to which ones are the best. I would just recommend looking at the TVs you want to buy. You should make sure that it's the same model and size you want though. That's where people get confused. Some companies excell at making 42" and below but don't make very good larger TVs. Also, the picture quality will not actually show unless you look at it with a true 1080 source. I'm sure if you go with the models you're debating over, you'll be just fine.

If you are not satisfied, you can always do a return. That's a lot easier if you buy from a store, so if you buy online, make sure you've seen the TVs performance.

The most common complaints are black level and pixelization. When your large 1080 tv recieves a 480 or 720 signal, it has to essentially fill in the blank lines. Some of the larger TVs have the tendency to make poor shading and some pixelization. Since you're not worried about the black level, just concern yourself with the pixelization issue. LCD screens are most prone to do this, but they are more reliable then their plasma counterparts of the same price.

If you go out to look at other TVs, don't forget to check out the Westinghouse brand. They will definitely surprise you as far as quality vs price. You might even save a few hundred bucks.

Collapse -
by Riverledge / June 27, 2007 5:46 AM PDT

RECENTLY I'VE SEEN two 42" LG LCDS wall mounted in a friends home, was surprised by how crappy the PQ was on both. Can't recommend LG. I'd also neglect SHARP.

Three questions, Does the HDTV have to be an LCD flat panel?
Would you consider any other technology?
Size wise, is 42" the largest set you can use, could
you go larger, to a 46" or 50" model?

Flat panel LCDS by SONY and SAMSUNG, would be my choices.

Good shopping,

Collapse -
a little info
by nucleardog / June 28, 2007 2:41 PM PDT

Westinghouse Nuclear was recently purchased by Toshiba. They be my employer.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.