Storage forum

General discussion

Is this where I would ask about a reliable brand of disc?

by sageashley / September 24, 2008 4:24 PM PDT

I have storage on external hd and backup on another external hd, but I still want to put everything on dvd disc or something, as well. Can anyone recommend a reliable brand? How many gigs can you get on one disc these days? The one's I've been using are 4.7 but I would like more.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is this where I would ask about a reliable brand of disc?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is this where I would ask about a reliable brand of disc?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If you handle and store the media correctly...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 24, 2008 9:13 PM PDT
Collapse -
Look into
by Willy / September 25, 2008 1:13 AM PDT

Robert, pretty much pointed out buy brand name discs. Don't be cheap maybe on a sale or two, buy what you need. I tend to favor Philips and TEAC though many other names do fine. DVDs are in the 4.7gb range for now, unless you get into Blu-Ray, etc., but that's a costly alternative.

For now unless you got globs of data to store, std. DVD will do fine. Remember to treat critical DVDs like your new born, with care. besides writing the data, be sure to verify!

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
I don't know which is the most reliable,
by ahtoi / September 25, 2008 2:54 AM PDT

or has any one make tests on them; but I uses GQ (the least expensive of them all)..and it hasn't fail me yet.

That's really a tough question to answer.

Yeah, 4.7 for single layer, 8.7 or there about for double layer and the newest is 25 for bru-ray.

Collapse -
Re:Reliable disk brand
by Zouch / September 26, 2008 12:08 PM PDT

Ask 6people and you will get at least 7 answers! I think the point Bob implies is very important, use a good branded disk, not the cheap spikes you can pick up at the computer fairs. For CDs, my preference is Imation and for DVDs Titanium single layer 4.7 MB (the brand, not the metal!).

For anything important, be sure to use -R and not -RW, the erasable disks do decay quicker.

And also as Bob mentions, do store them correctly - I use regular width cases with a black back to keep the light away from the recorded surface or better yet, the fully enclosed black DVD cases. Keep them cool, dry and out of direct sunlight and handle only with the edges. and don't go sticking labels on the disks - write a disk number in the clear bit in the middle and then label the cases, not the disks.

Collapse -
Disc Quality
by sknis / September 26, 2008 11:23 PM PDT

Quality does matter as does how it works with your burner. Go to the web site for your burner. There will be recommendations for what works best.

Do not use RW discs for long term storage. Do not use any packet writing programs such as Drag to Disc, InCD, etc. These are programs that require you to format the disc before you use them and allow you to simply drag the file to an icon on your desktop. The idea was good but in practice, it is flawed.

Most of the people I work with say that Taiyo Yuden are the best. They must be bought online. Verbatim and Fujifilm (the ones made in Japan; not Taiwan) are also good.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.