TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Is this Vizio HD TV any good?

by hipgeek / May 18, 2007 10:54 AM PDT
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is this Vizio HD TV any good?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is this Vizio HD TV any good?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
MAY BE CHEAP BUT
by stewart norrie / May 18, 2007 11:51 AM PDT

Who is going to repair it under warrenty or future repairs? Most warrenty repair stations will not honor off brand t.v. I checked warrenty repair stations in my area before I bought my Toshiba and sleep much better at nite and who wants to spend a fortune to ship that set clear across the u.s.a. for repairs. I feel its worth a few extra bucks to buy top brand t.v. mainly for that reason stewee

Collapse -
New link for the product in question:
by hipgeek / May 18, 2007 1:53 PM PDT
Collapse -
Vizio repair
by HTHMAN / May 19, 2007 1:39 AM PDT

If you buy it at Costco, you are in good shape. They give you a 90 day full refund and a 2 year warranty. If you go to the AVS forums and look through the Vizio threads, you will find how happy people were with their in home repair/replace service. Their service sounds better than what you usually get from the big name companies.

Collapse -
I TAKE IT BACK
by stewart norrie / May 19, 2007 12:25 PM PDT
In reply to: Vizio repair

About all the mean things I said about the Vizio It seems they have an excellent warrenty program and factory stands behind there product If you go Vizio grt the largest display they make as far as hi-def goes bigger is better stewee

Collapse -
I think so
by Operator7 / May 20, 2007 7:23 AM PDT
In reply to: I TAKE IT BACK

I was going to go Vizio until I decided against plasma and went with a Sony HD projection...

I'd recommend the HD LCD projection to anyone, but if you're going to go plasma, I think the Vizio is a deal you can't pass on, unless you are very financially comfortable.

Not only Costco, but Fry's or Circuit City, you can make the purchase with confidence, knowing that they also have the in-home service deals.

Collapse -
not the absolute best
by widojofus / May 20, 2007 7:35 AM PDT

but definatley not bad, get a good warrenty though because they might not be super reliable.

Collapse -
\
by jonnybones / May 20, 2007 10:36 AM PDT

Thats a negative. They look like crap and break. The price is their best feature.

Collapse -
Spend the extra money now instead of later
by misterguy / May 21, 2007 2:56 AM PDT
In reply to: \

My opinion. With a lot of things in life you can look around and find a bargain. In my opinion, buying an off brand hdtv is not like buying store brand medicine. You dont get the same active ingredients. When I was looking around for a new plasma I tried to go the cheaper route by doing tons of research and taking chances. I ended up going through a couple of tvs before I spent the extra money and found the one that made me happy. Even though I tried to make my self happy with the other tvs, it never happened. I could spot too many flaws in the picture. From the very first day I bought my current tv I was happy. Nothing against Vizio, but in the hdtv world, most of the time you get what you pay for. If you know that you are very easy to satisfy and want to take a chance on the Vizio then go for it. Nothing wrong with that. If you want something of great quality that will make you happy for a long time then look at something recommended by the smart people of cnet. You will find that my story is very common in this forum. Good luck.

Collapse -
Maybe the best thing about Vizio...
by Dan Filice / May 22, 2007 3:00 AM PDT

is that their low price may put pressure on the better big-name manufacturers to keep their prices low.

I've been tempted by Vizio at Costco because of the price. Luckly I haven't really needed to buy a TV. But my friend has purchased two cheapo brand small HDTVs for different rooms and I already see red pixels in one display and a weird vertical line in another. This doesn't bother my friend, so it's all relative I guess.

Collapse -
Visio Plasma
by snauman / May 23, 2007 2:50 AM PDT

The Visio is great bang for the buck, and looks ok but not great. However, my absolute favorite plasma on the market right now is the Panasonic Professional plasma. Not only is the picture outstanding, but it has card slot type inputs, so as technology changes, you can upgrade the machine to the latest greatest technology. No don't expect a tuner, or built in speakers, but the picture is absolutely the best in my opinion. You will need to purchase the HDMI card separately, so that will add to the cost a bit but for $1,700 you cannot buy a better set.

Panasonic TH-50PH9UK $1,699 at www.costco.com

Collapse -
Panasonic Plasma
by Dan Filice / May 23, 2007 3:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Visio Plasma

The way most of us are forced to get our digital and HDTV, either through a cable or satellite box, we skip the built-in tuner that comes with a TV anyways, so why not use a professional monitor? The only thing a built-in tuner seems to be good for is to get HD via a roof antenna (I use my cable box for HD, as I can get local and all the premium HD channels, so why bother with a roof antenna), or to receive standard cable service. I still use the latter option in 4 TVs in my house, but for the two where I want HD channels and the premium digital service, I use a cable box which side-steps built-in tuners. I agree with your choice of a Pro Panasonic Plasma.

Collapse -
forgot to mention
by snauman / May 23, 2007 3:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Panasonic Plasma

Oh and also, I forgot the very best part. Most of you folks are still stuck on the HDMI train patiently waiting for 1.2. 1.3, 1.4, etc. The Panasonic Pro has the option of an SDI card. This digital video connection is the real deal and uses a BNC style connector instead of the cheesy and unreliable HDMI connector.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.