TVs & Home Theaters

General discussion

Is this TV good enough for what I'm looking for?

by Flipmode213 / December 17, 2008 3:09 PM PST

Hello and thank you for reading my thread. Let me start off by saying that I am a big time beginner when it comes to the new TV technology. The only thing I know is that I want a 1080p Plasma (after I win the lottery).

Here's my issue:
There is a friend at work willing to sell his 50" Sony Class 3LCD Rear Projection TV (Model #: kdf-50e2000) for $300. It's 2 years old but works perfect he says. I've read the specs but am confused with some things.

This is what I want:
I have HD cable and I just bought a PlayStation 3 that has a Blu-Ray player included. So, what I really want is 1080p (since it's the best), but am willing to do 1080i IF there isnt much of a visible difference. The specs of the TV mention the Native Resolution is 720p with a Display Resolution as 1280x720. But I'm confused because it then mentions that it has 2 HDMI slots and then it says (1080i). It then goes way over my head saying there are 3LCD Chips...is that good or does it even matter?

Any help would be wonderful...and the sooner the better. The guy is waiting for an answer from me. All I want is the closest thing to 1080p (since it looks like I'm not getting that). If that means 1080i, then is it worth it (in your opinion)? I think I'm going to refuse anything 720p.

Thank you once again and have a wonderful holiday!

Jason
jleitner@charter.net

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is this TV good enough for what I'm looking for?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is this TV good enough for what I'm looking for?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I think you'll only get 720p on that tv...
by mojojam / December 17, 2008 6:37 PM PST

I'm no expert at this so if anybody feels a need to correct me please do. I'm new to HDtv technology too and am also trying to figure it out.

Since it's Native Resolution is 720p, that's all you'll ever get even if you use the 1080i input. You'll lose some 1080i signal so it displays at the native resolution of 720p. At least that's what I got from this website: http://www.cnet.com/hdtv-resolution/?tag=rb_content;rb_mtx .

If you really want the full 1080p you'll have to get a HDtv with native resolution of 1080p.

Another interesting article I found ( http://abcnews.com.com/720p-vs-1080p-hdtv/ ) mentioned "7. What happens when you feed a 1080p signal to 720p TV?" Apparently some older HDTV's can't accept a 1080p signal. I'm not sure if the Sony you're looking at falls into this category but since it says 1080i on the HDMI input I'm guessing it might not accept the 1080p of the Playstation 3. Someone more knowledgeable about this might be able to answer this.

As far as 3LCD goes that's the technology it's using to display the image. I have no idea if it's better or worse than other display technologies like DLP.

If you don't buy it and your friend is in the Fort Collins/Denver area I could use a replacement for my 10yr old 32" Toshiba tube tv that just won't fail on me. Happy

Happy Holidays Everyone!

Collapse -
RE: I think you'll only get 720p on that tv...
by Flipmode213 / December 17, 2008 10:15 PM PST

Yea I'm mainly concerned because it says Native Resolution is 720. I'm not sure though what that exactly means. I believe a PS3 works on it since he does play his on it, but I'll ask him what settings he has it on...because you can set it to any resolution as long as your TV accepts it.

Thank you so much for your reply.

Collapse -
Native res defined
by Pepe7 / December 18, 2008 2:36 AM PST
Collapse -
$300 LCD
by Dan Filice / December 18, 2008 2:58 AM PST

If you read through this forum, a lot of people here claim that 720p is great and 1080p is overblown. I personally have the newer update to your TV, which is 1080p and I love it. But, this TV is only $300. And what TV do you have now? This TV may be leaps above what you currently have, at least for awhile until you save to get your 1080p Plasma. And by the way, Costco has the Panasonic 1080p Plasma for $1000, so that may not be too far away for you. But I agree with checking how many hours on the lamp, and if the lamp has not been recently replaced, I'd ask for a slight discount. But still, that TV is very good, and the fact that it is Sony's SXRD rear-projection, you will NOT get any lag or motion blur that is common in so many other LCD TVs, even those that cost $3000.

The 3 LCD panel setup is what Sony uses to help spread the responsibility of creating color on their TV. The colors you see on any TV are made up of Red, Green and Blue. On any other LCD TV, one single LCD chip panel handles all 3 colors, but on the Sony, they have an LCD panel for each color. Does it make it better? I can't say for sure, but this is what my TV has and the color is excellent.

Collapse -
$300!
by mojojam / December 18, 2008 9:26 PM PST
In reply to: $300 LCD

Dans right. It is only $300. I've regretted not buying my friends' 50" DLP tv for not too much more than what your friend is asking. Only later when I started doing a little research into HDTVs did I realize I was getting that tv at a great price. You could always re-sell it and probably get most of your money back when you decide to upgrade to a 1080p.

Collapse -
ALSO
by givemeaname / December 18, 2008 1:23 AM PST

find out how many hours are on the lamp & how long the lamps on that model last... they cost $200!!!!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Magazine

The summer issue is here!

In the latest edition of our quarterly magazine, we look at how you can spend your summer getting fit and having fun. Pick up a copy on newsstands today or order it now.