Forum Announcement

Welcome to the new CNET Forums! Please don't panic. You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

Computer Help

Question

Is this kind of network possible?

by dadisam / October 12, 2012 7:53 AM PDT

First of all.. i work at a computer shop... (im not a very techie though)
1 isp... 5 ips with each having a 5mbps speed.. as they said..

our original setup is...
modem (4 port) --> linksys Dual-Band Wireless-N Gigabit Router (4port) --> Dlink Gigabit switch (24port)>> then 21 computers.. 1 is acting the time server for the 20 computers..

internet setup is static... since i used 1 of the 5 ip's available.. there's 4 more..
router ip> 172.16.2.1
so all of the computers' gateway is 172.16.2.1..

and then there is an issue regarding the speed of our net.. since it is a shop.. we cant avoid others to download (hogging all the speed).. so a lot are complaining and then im askin myself "why not use 1 more ip of the our isp.. so that there will be more speed"?

what shall i do??
should i buy another router?
and if i have that another router.. what will be the setup??

im thinking like this..

modem port 1>> 1st router(172.16.2.1)>> dlink switch>> 10 computers
com#1 ip is 172.16.2.6 sub 255.255.0.0 gateway 172.16.2.1

modem port2>> 2nd router (172.16.2.2)>> dlink switch>> 10 computers
com# 11 is 172.16.2.16 sub 255.255.0.0 gateway 172.16.2.2

that way.. each 10 computers are enjoying a full 5mbps speed.. instead of 20 sharing it right?

now im asking "is the setup wrong?" why? and what should be the correct?

if it is correct? will there be a network traffic issues?

will the time server be able to see them all?

will the 21 computers be able to see/connect each other in lan games?

please teach me how... im begging you.. lately our shop has been decreasing in customers...

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is this kind of network possible?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is this kind of network possible?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Let's bring it down to one issue at a time.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 12, 2012 8:01 AM PDT

SPEED.

Nothing you noted above will increase or add more speed to your internet connection.

Is the setup wrong? No. It looks like a normal setup and about all you can do is to ban those that run TORRENTS on your network. If you feel it's OK then all I have ever needed to do is wait till the new network person figures this out.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
IP's not the same as additional connections
by Unassuming_Soldier / November 7, 2012 10:34 AM PST

Having multiple IP addresses available to use is not the same as having multiple internet connections. You won't be able to exceed your 5Mb speed cap unless you add another connection or increase the speed of your current connection. (Talk to your ISP about this.) 20 PC's all sharing a single 5Mb connection for anything that requires low lag is a recipe for broken hearts.

The recommendation to more strictly control your internet traffic will probably solve most of your problems. There's no end to hardware and software solutions for this, but getting yourself a good hardware firewall and banning torrents and other bandwidth hogging activities (HD YouTube for instance) will pretty much do the trick.

Also, if you have wireless, make sure your network is locked down tight and isn't being leeched by other homes/businesses nearby. One of the things you can do is log all your internet traffic and see who's doing what, as well as checking the DHCP leases in your router to see who's connected and how long they've been there.

With most equipment and software, you can reserve a portion of your bandwidth for various programs/ports and thereby guarantee that your critical network traffic is unobstructed.

Finally, make sure that all your DHCP leasing is happening on the same device, and that its the fastest device in your lineup to minimize the potential for conflicts and streamline the network overhead.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.