Video Games & Consoles forum

General discussion

Is this a legitamate site

by fordsandboxers / February 4, 2011 12:01 PM PST

I found this site(http://www.urlscan.net/)that sell online downloadable games,software,etc....they have for instance Medal of Honor for $15.00, that said I've tried to find out through google and research if there a pirate site or what have you,,I need some expert help on this matter,,,could someone either teach me how to find this out or tell me if there a rip off,,,thanks alot ,,,Danny

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is this a legitamate site
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is this a legitamate site
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Almost certainly not
by Jimmy Greystone / February 4, 2011 9:38 PM PST

Almost certainly not, and the place is likely selling pirated copies.

While there may be others, the only legitimate game download service I know of is Steam. At least for the PC. Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo have their respective networks for their respective consoles.

Of course you could always ask the company that sells some of the games on that site whether or not it's legitimate. The maker of the game will have a list of every channel partner they have for distribution and sale of the game.

If you're looking to get games on a bit of a budget, you might consider looking for a GameStop or other store in your area that deals in used games. Better do it fast, before large game makers bribe members of Congress into rewriting big chunks of copyright law (again) to eliminate the used game market. They're already trying to eliminate the first sale doctrine which makes it legal currently, and it's only a matter of time before it succeeds with pro-business republicans in a lot of powerful positions.

Collapse -
Game Spot
by fordsandboxers / February 5, 2011 12:13 AM PST
In reply to: Almost certainly not

lol, I just got back from game spot,,,no luck,,they do not deal in used pc games,,,copy right law they said,,but I dont understand that if you got the game, the activation code, the paper work, etc,,,,,but if you own a xbox,ps,etc,,,,u can just bring in a disc and thats it,,,and sell trade or what have you,,,to make it worse they had one little stand about 5 feet tall, and 4 feet wide , with 4 shelfs on each side of pc games and that was it. Then they said pc wasnt big on games. Well Im afraid to say that pc is 100xs better than console, and eventually will be 100xs bigger. I got a 3500 dollar rig and it blows my brother 360 out of the water with graphics and upgrades to games. I guess like you said Im down to steam or ea,activision,etc,,,,I am not the hacking type, but I find it ridiculous to buy a game for so much money. I bought battlefield 2:bad company and beat it in 5 1/2 hours give or take, but I waited till it came down, but it is better than blowin a 100 bucks at a bar, hehe,,,well thanks for you input, and have a nice day.

Collapse -
site
by rmaker2 / February 6, 2011 9:50 AM PST

Site appears bit spammy. I'd stay away if I was you

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,224 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,453 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,090 discussions
icon
Security 30,722 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,937 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,295 discussions
icon
Phones 16,252 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,684 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,215 discussions

SEEING COLORS?

What do the color stripes mean on your tires?

Brian Cooley tells you why you might see various color lines on the wheels of your automobile.