Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Is there better protection than Norton 360?

by thomasterrible / May 24, 2009 6:19 PM PDT

I just got a new computer and am using a trial version of Norton 360.
My ISP is Comcast so I get McAfee for free but even for free I thought it was a horrible program and downloaded a couple of free ones recommended on Cnet, one I would leave on all the time the other I would leave off and just update and scan every night.

I also had System Mechanic but I got such poor support from them I am not hot on using them again. But do like PC optimization tools also.

It seems that Nortons program has gotten much better since the last time I used it, I like the updates every few minutes, the fact that it scans fast, and it has both the security against viruses and some PC optimization but not as many things as System mechanic, though I am not sure I need it system mechanic would defrag RAM for example.

I am willing to pay for the program if it is the best, but if there is something better I would like to know and use that. I also would like to know if the PC optimization with Norton 360 is comprehensive enough as it could be.

BTW I also turned on Windows Defender.

I have read that it is not good to have more than one anti-virus program on your computer but I used to have two loaded on and only one active then would shut that down and update and run a scan with the second one every night.

So what is my best protection I can get and is there a better optimizer than Nortons 360 has?

Finally does running Windows Defender count as running two anti-spyware programs that could conflice with each other or is it ok to leave it on as well as other things.

Even for free I would not use McAffee, it did not seem to ever find any problems when the free programs would.

Since I am moving from a 5 year old computer to a new one I am happy at how much faster and better my computer runs and also how much Norton has improved their program, but I dont know if there is something either better or that I should also use for full protection.

I have an HP computer and in the Health Check it tells me that I am not protected for the Internet even though I have Norton and Defender running and the firewalls on. I have tried to run the scan again and it still says I am not covered for online threats but the Norton programs says that everything is just fine and it does find things when I run a scan and it is much faster than the old program, but it could also be I have a faster computer. I am running Vista Home Premium 64 if that makes a difference, so far I have not had any problems with this OS at all and since I used to use XP it is similar enough to not need to be told how to use it.

Thanks in advance

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is there better protection than Norton 360?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is there better protection than Norton 360?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If you like better protection, you can try...
by Donna Buenaventura / May 24, 2009 7:59 PM PDT

AntiVir from:
http://www.avira.com for their paid edition
http://free-av.com for their free edition

Avast from http://www.avast.com (for paid and free editions of Avast)

NOD32 from http://www.eset.com (for standalone or suite editions but paid editions only)

As to HP's Health Check, what does it say that you're not protected? Is it referring to antivirus, firewall or security updates for your Windows?

You do not need to pay for Optimization tool for Windows. Windows have built-in defrag, disk clean-up and there is a better alternative:

CCleaner from http://www.ccleaner.com

Collapse -
HP Health Check
by thomasterrible / May 24, 2009 10:28 PM PDT

The HP Security and Health Advisor in the Security box has a big shield with an exclamtion sign, and in the sub-catagories says

Firewall: ON

I dont know why it is saying that since I have Norton 360 on and up to date and it says everything is ok and I also have windows defender on as well.

I do have a wireless router but it is secure and encrypted.

I cant figure out what it thinks I am at risk for?

Collapse -
Please see this image at HP Website
by Donna Buenaventura / May 25, 2009 12:21 AM PDT
In reply to: HP Health Check
Collapse -
HP security message
by thomasterrible / May 25, 2009 3:53 AM PDT

No it is working and before I had a trial of just norton security but when I put 360 trial on it like came with my cheap new lap top as I liked it better it gave me that error message, but as you can see it also says that all those things are protected and if I go in to the HP Total Care Advisor furher it will acknowledge that I have the anti virus up and running and the firewall on and does not list one thing in particular that is wrong when I go in to the details about the security on the computer.

Perhaps I will check out the router to see if anything changed since this desktop has wireless for some reason I cant think of. But like I said it is a secured encrypted network that I had to use my password to set up. Still I will check that out.

Does Windows Defender really do much of anything? I have it on since it is included but it seems pretty weak. I did add the Aviva Anti Virus that was listed and it found nothing. It is rare that Norton does not find many things and very fast. Also Norton has disc optimization including a registry cleaner and start up manager. The one thing that I dont have activated is erasing my internet history because sometimes I may want to go back to some site that I dont remember the name of and like to keep my internet history, but that is the only thing that I dont have it do.

Now I have that Avira Antivirus on as well and still am getting the not safe for the internet but then in the details it admits I have the firewalls and programs installed and working.

I will double check the router otherwise I cant think of why it is giving me that error message.

I really keep on top of making sure all the security programs and such are updated and run every single night. I may have to call HP and see if they can help since this computer is less than a week old.

Collapse -
Hope when you contact them...
by Donna Buenaventura / May 25, 2009 12:38 PM PDT
In reply to: HP security message

they'll be able to describe why their advisor Health Check is showing at risk.

Windows Defender have many features, if you need them. The detection is not bad but most antivirus vendor recommends that the real-time protection by other security software is disabled IF their software is capable of detecting what another will try to detect/protect. It's up to you though if you want to continue using Windows Defender's real-time protection. I have it enabled even though I have another antivirus running. If you will clean the system from malware, it is best to temporary disable the protection by other tools.

As to browsing history, I suggest to bookmark or add to your favorites the sites that you wish to visit or read again. Keeping the history is OK but your privacy could be at risk (if another site or application will try to get your browsing habits). Note that some sites requires you to login and you don't want any tracking cookies to track your login data (email or user ID) so it's best to clean the history, temporary files. Use CCleaner - http://www.ccleaner.com or the one you have in Norton 360, if you like.

Don't use 2 antivirus software, please.
It's not recommended to use 2 antivirus. It can cause conflict, system instability. This is maybe why you have "At Risk" status in HP's Health Check? Try to remove one of the antivirus.

Collapse -
by thomasterrible / May 25, 2009 3:56 PM PDT

Ok I will remove the Avira product, I did not have time today, but it was doing that as soon as I used Norton 360. It could be that it is giving me that notification because the only thing it says is not ok in the HP advisor is that I have not checked the clear history, I honestly like to keep a history of every site I have visited, sure a bunch are ones I wont want to keep but I have had many occasions where it has been great to go back a long time and find a site that I used last year for example. But I will try to bookmark them or something such as that like you said and then clean the browser history, I have a feeling that is what the HP advisor is getting all upset about.

So I will just use Norton 360 because I swear it is a really good program now, the best I have ever used so far and is doing a great job and doing it fast. I just put the Avira on there to see if that would find anything else or shut up the HP advisor. It found nothing in the scan. Also while I did use CClean, Hp's 360 PC tuneup utility is better IMO than that also.

What do you think about letting either windows or Norton autofill in information on sites like keep track of your passwords or the information that you would fill out in forms? So far I have not done that, sometimes I will check the remember me box, but is it safe to have Norton or IE8 store passwords to sites?

Collapse -
Norton Identity Safe in 360
by Donna Buenaventura / May 25, 2009 4:10 PM PDT
In reply to: OK

Nothing to worry in using the Identity Safe in Norton 360. It will help you by storing your passwords. It works like third party utility, Roboform or the browser's credential manager (IE, Opera, Firefox). If no one is using your computer other than yourself, then only you should have access to your passwords.

Hope your HP Advisor will no longer show you're at risk after you remove Avira Happy
You can also try to open Windows Update program in Vista and let it check for Windows Update. See if there's any important and critical updates for your Windows which HP Advisor is trying to detect.

Collapse -
HP Advisor still not happy
by thomasterrible / May 25, 2009 4:27 PM PDT

I removed Avira, turned off real time protection on defender, deleted every cookie and history etc from IE8, rebooted the system and HP advisor security is still not happy. It says that I have anti virus installed and working that my firewall is up and working that windows auto update is on and working and then says symantec is my provider and to look at how to protect my computer. I update everything I use manually every day anyway, scan manually every day, was going to just copy and paste history in to a folder on the desktop but did not see anything worth keeping so wiped it all clean. Computer is running fine and HP Advisor is sort of contradicting itself by saying critical alert but then in details it says everything is just dandy.

I will call HP. Good to konw I dont have to worry about keeping passwords, I can make them more complicated now. Norton will make me sign in to norton to use those password and autofill features anyway. There are not issues with anyone else using my computer as an FYI. Just me.

Collapse -
Good luck. Hope HP will be able to provide more info
by Donna Buenaventura / May 25, 2009 4:50 PM PDT

on why their Health Check is acting up like that.

Not sure if you need it though. I mean, Vista have Security Center already. Norton has it's Security Center also. Those should be enough to manage your security protection.

My Dell laptop and desktop also have such but I removed it. It is use for ads by them anyway (so I hope HP don't give you ads and not phoning home your computing activity to anyone) and I just make sure that the AV and Firewall are running. Just my humble thoughts on this Happy

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.