Android forum

Question

Is there any overheating issue in Galaxy S4??

by Gamer1146 / January 3, 2014 12:56 PM PST

I want to buy it but is there any overheating issue?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is there any overheating issue in Galaxy S4??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is there any overheating issue in Galaxy S4??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I have had mine.....
by birdmantd Forum moderator / January 4, 2014 12:00 AM PST

....since the release date this summer and no overheating issues with my S4.

Collapse -
Answer
I'm sure under the right conditions
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 4, 2014 2:31 AM PST

I can cause any device to get overheated. So yes, all devices can get into a state of non-operation.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Hi
by Murari_ctls / January 8, 2014 3:08 PM PST

There is no heating issues in Galaxy S4. You can buy it....

Collapse -
There is always a small chance....
by birdmantd Forum moderator / January 8, 2014 9:32 PM PST
In reply to: Hi

....of a defective device, but the same issue could happen to any phone. No major recalls by Samsung that has been reported for the S4. If I needed another cell phone, I wouldn't hesitate getting another one if I had no other choice.

Collapse -
What about the Knox issues?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 9, 2014 12:25 AM PST

Given the issues about Knox if I got this one I would disable, remove or ignore Knox. Samsung's coders must be taking lessons from MSFT.
Bob

Collapse -
Knox
by birdmantd Forum moderator / January 9, 2014 1:17 AM PST

Never knew about any issues with the app, but I have never used/activated the feature on my S4. Guess I won't experiment with it after your post.

Collapse -
What did I hear recently?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 9, 2014 1:49 AM PST
In reply to: Knox

"Another lab rat escaped the maze."

Collapse -
(NT) They call me Mighty Mouse !!
by birdmantd Forum moderator / January 9, 2014 3:06 AM PST
Collapse -
Answer
overheating issue in Galaxy S4
by Paula_Jennings / January 19, 2015 8:54 PM PST

I bought a Samsung Galaxy S4 3 months ago and was perfectly happy with its performance. Then suddenly it started frying my ear and visibly discharging before my eyes. It seemed location was using a lot of CPU so I turned that off. This helped for a short time then the problem returned. I took the phone back to Carphone Werewolf. They took one look at it and one assistant said to the other "He's using Viber" like I was an idiot. I mentioned that when I bought the phone, noone told me not to use Viber. They agreed the phone was overheating and wanted to send it to Samsung for 2 weeks and wipe its memory. They would not replace the phone or allow me to pay for an upgrade, so I took my hand warmer home, after all it has been rather cold recently.

Collapse -
Answer
after 2 years, yes
by ela1n3ko / April 10, 2015 7:26 AM PDT

I dont know if its just my phone, but after using it for 2 years, my phone has been overheating frequently. Especially when I am using the navigation in my car. I just stick my phone between the air conditioning holes, and within a minute the phone cools down. But I still get worried whenever my phone overheats. I think its because I'm using a car charger that was not provided by the cell phone company. That could be one of the reasons for the overheating issue.

http://www.ehow.com/info_12211584_phone-overheating.html

Collapse -
Think about rated battery cycles. (300)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 10, 2015 7:32 AM PDT
In reply to: after 2 years, yes

Most batteries are rated for 300 cycles so try a new battery.

Collapse -
battery
by vilmaugur / April 10, 2015 8:10 PM PDT

Okay R.rofiit. I do try today.

Collapse -
Answer
for sure
by park_daniel / April 14, 2015 9:08 PM PDT

every mobile device will face that problem at some point of time. its just that some device can hold on long enough from over heating.

Collapse -
Answer
Yes there is.
by gbouskill / June 1, 2015 6:57 AM PDT

Don't believe the Samsung suprer fans. There are serious overheating problems. I have tough skin but still have a problem holding the device. I installed a cooling and optimizing program, which is about all they did with the S5, and I still get messages saying the device is too hot to keep on charging and stops. I minimize the running programs and the battery still goes down at about 1%/min. I have used the unit outside in the shade on a warm day and it overheats even faster.
I was forced to upgrade from my old Blackberry 8530 when Bell bought Virgin Mobile Canada (cell phone costs went way up). I still use it for some things including an alarm clock. I's on all night and I hit snooze 3 times and the battery still has lots of life and no overheating.
I have Samsung monitors and a Samsung digital camera which I am happy with but in my opinion their cellphones are junk .

Collapse -
Hogwash.....
by birdmantd Forum moderator / June 2, 2015 12:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes there is.

Depending how old the phone is and how many times the battery has been charged, the battery length can be diminished. You have not provided any proof of a known issue, just provided an opinion. I just traded my S4 for the S6 and never hesitated doing so.

Collapse -
I agree.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 2, 2015 12:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Hogwash.....

But somewhere out there is a bad one. It's rough on those that have a bum unit and they may lash out that all of that model are junk. My son had a Samsung for a few years with no such issue and with what must be a few hundred models around the offices I haven't seen this problem.

Maybe they need to get theirs exchanged.
Bob

Collapse -
Proof?
by gbouskill / June 2, 2015 2:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Hogwash.....

What in hell proof do you want? Drop by and you can try it out. If all you do is text and talk, there may not be a problem. Other people have reported the problem in other forums. Are you suggesting I'm lying??

Collapse -
Only in the scope of the problem.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 2, 2015 3:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Proof?

While I truly enjoy the move to open the market to other than proprietary chargers that did create other issues along with your defective phone.

Here's where you went from believable to not. You seem to claim all of them are having this issue. Here, I can't find one. I think there must be a few out there with an issue but you seem to purport that all of them are bad.
Bob

Collapse -
My point.....
by birdmantd Forum moderator / June 2, 2015 7:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Proof?

.....is that I had a Samsung S4 for two years and it wasn't a rampant issue. You must keep in mind that the more applications that are running, the hotter the processor gets. Watching streaming video/audio is notorious for causing overheating. It is not a chronic problem and rarely happened to me. You original post did make it sound like every user has the same overheating issue.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.