Samsung forum

General discussion

Is there any Clouding/Blooming Effect in the new LED TVs?

by vikmetal / April 27, 2009 6:50 AM PDT

Hi there:

After exchanging out my Samsung LN46A850 four times at Best Buy because of the clouding/flash lighting/blooming issues (a popular discussion topic on this forum and elsewhere), I finally decided to return it and get my money back.

I was greatly dissapointed because I really liked the look, features, and picture quality of the 850 TVs, and even went through the trouble of numerous exchanges in the hopes that I would find a "good" set eventually. Alas, that not happen. Having also read about similar issues throughout the 650-950 TOC LCD TV line, I came to the sad conclusion that a Samsung LCD would not make it into my consideration set after all.

However, recently I stumbled upon Samsung's new LED TVs, specifically the UN46B7000/7100. I love the looks of it and the in-store display quality, however, am being cautious after my last experience. So I'd like to ask the forum and Samsung techs whether these TVs are plagued with the same issues as the 6-9 Series TOC TVs, or have those light-related issues been resolved in these new LED sets?

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is there any Clouding/Blooming Effect in the new LED TVs?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is there any Clouding/Blooming Effect in the new LED TVs?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Is there any Clouding/Blooming Effect in the new LED TVs?
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / April 27, 2009 7:40 AM PDT

vikmetal,

I don't believe that they should be. The design of the LED Televisions is supposed to reduce the possibility to have clouding ("screen uniformity", officially) effects as well as be more energy efficient.

I can appreciate the hesitation after reading many forums on these issues. Remember that a lot of these issues are readily available because people who don't have these issues don't necessarily log on and say that they're <u>not</u> having these issues, which is quite a vast majority of television owners.

That said, I would go into the store and play with the settings on the store's unit, as that should give you a really good idea of what your settings will look like at home. Go ahead and bump up the backlight, adjust the brightness and see if you can get those issues to appear. If not, it may be worth taking the plunge.

I hope that helps, and let me know if you have any other questions.

--HDTech

Collapse -
B750
by brilliantscience / April 28, 2009 12:42 AM PDT

take a look at the B750 - I think that is supposed to have a uniform screen

Collapse -
Clouding, Mura and pressure marks on my 55" 7100 LED TV
by lipripr / May 14, 2009 6:04 AM PDT

I just purchased the Samsung 55" 7100 LED TV from Best Buy on 02MAY09...it's going back tonight! It has terrible white light mura, clouding and 5 very noticeable pressure marks from top to bottom on both the left and right sides of the screen. These marks are very apparent on light colored screens and become really annoying after just a bit. The mura and clouding make it near impossible to watch anything with light, medium to very dark backgrounds.

When changing between sources, it seems like I'm staring up at the overcast sky and while watching regular HD broadcast, it seems like little GI Joes are shining mini spot lights in to the center screen from each corner. Out of all the Sony's and Panasonics I've owned with mura and clouding issues, this Samsung is certainly the worst yet. I was tense going in with these slim depth LEDs and possible problems, but never expected this! The store model seemed fine, but was also under intense fluorescent lighting. The sales associates also said the LEDs would not have these problems.

I love the style and picture on this TV and will try another. I will let you know how the replacement works out.

Collapse -
Thanks! Blooming looming large across Samsung LCD line?
by vikmetal / May 14, 2009 6:56 AM PDT

Whoa, that's dissapointing to know. Did you notice, or have you heard of , similar problems on other brands like LG, Pioneer, etc. in Best Buy? Anyways, I appreciate you writing and providing your feedback, lipripr. Thank you.

Can a Samsung tech on this forum comment on this issue with their LEDs? Given the several similar claims on this and other forums for the LN (and now) UN series LCDs, what should a consumer interested in Samsung TVs expect as the rate of "failure" in this regard?

BTW, I saw the new Samsung plasmas and they look really good now - would those be the alternative to my LCD woes? They're much cheaper than the Luxia TVs as well! Please comment.

Collapse -
Clouding, Mura and pressure marks on my 55" 7100 LED TV
by lipripr / May 15, 2009 1:01 AM PDT

Vikmetal:

I have heard and read that all brands of LCD panels suffer from some sort of mura and clouding issues. It is hit or miss whether you are lucky enough to get a good one. I myself went through 3 different models of Sony TV?s for my bedroom before I got a great looking 46" Z series with no uniformity issues. I have read that some plasma?s have this same type of issue, but not as many.

The few people I know with plasma TV?s don't seem to have any problems like this. I took some advice from brilliantscience and looked at the Samsung ln52b750 at Best Buy last night and researched it to find great reviews. I've read that several people who bought the LED TV took it back and bought the b750 as well. I will be returning my un55b7100 and replacing it with the b750 tonight (yep, I changed my mind about keeping the 7100).

I will keep you posted on my testing with the new one.

Collapse -
Thanks
by vikmetal / May 15, 2009 3:58 AM PDT

Thanks again, lipripr. Yes, I read the CNet review for the b750 as well and was quite impressed. I'll probably wait a little for the price to fall, though. In the meantime, keep us posted on the performance of it in your home, especially with regards to the light bleeding issues.

Cheers

Collapse -
Thanks! Blooming looming large across Samsung LCD line?
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / May 15, 2009 9:43 AM PDT

vikmetal,

If you don't write headlines as a hobby, you should. I had to chuckle a little at the "Blooming Looming" headline. Grin

I think I can make a brief comment, but it is by no means "official", but for discussion purposes instead. Thousands of these sets have already been sold, and there are a few issues that end up here or other forums *because* of an issue or perceived defect presses them to find a solution, either by us or other forum members.

The Samsung LED Televisions are supposed to have a lower level of screen uniformity issues (flashlighting, as some call it) because the design is different from the CCFL design, where some screen uniformity issues can occur, regardless of manufacturer. There's a whole technical explanation that I just don't want to get into, because I know I will be challenged to a game of "Stump the Tech". I'd rather address concerns on the forum.

I guess what I can say is that while the chances of this being an issue is much lower, it's not non-existant, and we see a few examples of that here. And service deals with those on a case by case basis, as do the retailers.

I'm not trying to play PR word games, but words mean things. "Rate of Failure" is completely different from complete customer satisfaction, or meeting strict expectations. I don't really have figures for either.

Regardless, I don't think instances of strict expectations are a result of being "too picky", and I never discount or minimize the reaction or opinions of that perception on this forum. But if it's not something you like, then get something that makes you happy. I have no desire for you to be unhappy with your purchase, and advocate that openly, even if the solution doesn't result in a Samsung sale. I think our products are compelling and competitive, both feature wise and priced, and will fit the needs of the vast majority of consumers. But not all. I'm okay with that.

Okay, onto plasmas.

I can't speak for the plasma pricing. There are some upgrades this year that add value to the overall ownership, such as the 4-Series being 3-D ready, and some of the higher series having the Medi@2.0 DLNA capabilities. Everyone wants more features and better picture for less money - Samsung plasmas deliver big this year.

Plasmas are good units to have if you're going to watch in rooms where you can control the lighting, or watch in dark rooms. Dark rooms are where most people would typically detect LCD screen uniformity, so it may be a worthwhile option to consider.

Heavy-use gamers might think twice about plasma, but otherwise, it's a good choice.

Let me know if you have any other concerns, and I'll address them where I can.

--HDTech

Collapse -
led issues
by hendley8857 / March 7, 2011 2:39 AM PST

I purchased a new samsung led tv which I have exchanged twice in the last three months. It doesn't have the problem you mention but it makes very distracting clicking noises. I went into the samsung forum on this sight and found over 500 references to this problem. I am returning mine and going with something else. This is dissapointing. Like you, I think they have the best picture but don't want to deal with the problems. Good luck-I have the 6400

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.