Web Hosting, Design, & Coding forum

General discussion

Is there an iWeb equiv. for PC?

by ShopliftThePooty / November 10, 2006 2:17 AM PST

I work with a small NPO. One of the coordinators uses iWeb to maintain the website, because pretty much anybody can use it. Problem is that he's leaving and will be taking his Mac with so I need to find another prog that is friendly to all of us who are HTML illiterate. Preferably it would be free, but we're willing to pay.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Justin

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is there an iWeb equiv. for PC?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is there an iWeb equiv. for PC?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sorry
by bamnet / November 16, 2006 10:50 PM PST

If there is an equivalent, I haven't found it yet. While the site will be editable in any HTML editor, I've had extreme difficult working with the way iWeb creates HTML files. iWeb likes to take a more graphical approach to web design, using lots of images, layers, and div's, which the PC apps I've used don't deal with very well.

I think there are three options:
1. Scrap what you currently have and start again in a "more traditional" web editor (with similiar wysiwyg capabilites as iWeb) like Dreamweaver, Frontpage, Nvu

2. Buy a Mac and iWeb

3. Become a master at HTML and image editing

Unfortunately none of the three options are close to ideal. I've had to abandon several sites I made using iWeb because I couldn't edit (even the text) with other programs.

Good Luck,
Brian M

Collapse -
Use a Content Managment System
by Cirbirus / March 5, 2009 8:51 PM PST

I know this is a lot too late for you but for the next person the easiest thing to do would be to use a Content Managment System (CMS). It would allow you concentrate on the content on the site instead of the design of the site.

Collapse -
i Web on a PC
by elcondor7771 / October 19, 2009 6:09 AM PDT

It looks as though you are looking for a similar program as the i-web on a mac but on a PC. I am also looking for this if you run across a solution I hope you are gracious enough to share this information with us. We are old Mac users and have had to travel making Macs almost inaccessable but neeed to make beautiful web pages as done with i-web.

Thanks,

Richard

Collapse -
Solution (Sort of)
by knnth_kng / October 27, 2009 5:18 AM PDT

A program called webeasy is sort of like the Apple iWeb. It has been the closest thing I can find.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.