TVs & Home Theaters forum

Is there an effective VHS to DVD Software?

by Silverback_381 / January 18, 2013 3:55 AM PST

I am looking to convert my old VHS tapes (Movie titles) to DVD format. I have done some research on available software and keep coming back to "Diamond One-Touch Video Capture Device" and wanted to know if anyone is familiar with the software and its efficiency.

Thanks for your help.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is there an effective VHS to DVD Software?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is there an effective VHS to DVD Software?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
BTDT (been there done that.)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 18, 2013 4:02 AM PST

Let me be brutally honest here. Only those with a lot of time to spare will use a PC to do such conversions. After many dozen software and hardware solutions over the years here's what I use TODAY. The model is hard to find but it makes this a nearly painless and I walk away during many steps.

I use the DVDR3576H and I see a review at for a newer model.

This way I hook up my VCR to press play, record it to the HDD and come back later. I trim off the extra at the beginning and end of the recording and then if I feel like it "DUB" that to DVD.

If you have a lot of time you use a PC. Figure you'll put in 3 or more hours on the PC for each hour of tape.

Collapse -
PS. One last step.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 18, 2013 8:55 AM PST

To make the DVD playable in most devices, be sure to FINALIZE the media. After that you can rip it or copy the video out on your PC.

Collapse -
by flrhcarr / January 18, 2013 8:52 AM PST

For many years I have used Pinnacle Studios to do this for people. You plug the VCR in to the capture device, hit start & it captures what was there. It allows you to clean up the footage, copies the volume in real time, along with the video, & if you're happy with what you have, you can burn a DVD from it. It will take as long to copy, as the movie is (frame for frame), but rendering it is very fast, on a fast computer.

If you want any additional features (menus, transitions etc), everything is ready for you to do that as well. Your burned DVD will play on most players (use the highest settings of course), except the old ones (pre 2003).

Do be careful using a stand alone unit, as some of them will make the DVD playable only on that unit type.

Good luck in getting your tapes done nicely. Be sure to clean the player, & use as many heads as you can get.

Collapse -
by tedtks / January 18, 2013 9:16 AM PST

I looked into this a couple years ago - I ended up buying a panasonic
vhs dvd player/recorder on ebay for less than $60 I now have two of them,
the second on I think ran about $45 (prices include shipping)
pop in a vhs and a blank dvd-r (I prefer rw) and let-er-run ... job done !

Collapse -
Been there, done that
by mjd420nova / January 18, 2013 9:40 AM PST

I used a number of video capture devices, plug in and USB, Pinnacle and Haupage. Capture should be painless, and the editting the tedious. After a Funai VHS to DVD recorder made exact two hour copies of HQ-Dolby tapes to DVD. Easy. Then the DVD can be loaded into the PC, edited, and all manner of things, resaved to a temp file for eventual assembly with other pieces to burn to a DVD. All the while, the original is still analog, tape media. This did wonders for the library of VHS-C camcorder tapes. Many years of family footage taped with the Panasonic four head HQ Dolby stereo VHS-C handycam. State of the art in 1984. Personal tapes need no copyright released to do anything you want with that media.

Collapse -
some more choices
by porsche10x / January 18, 2013 10:44 PM PST

There are a number of products available at Walmart: DVD recorders, DVD / HDD recorders, even VHS/DVD recorders in one unit to do one-step copying (from Magnavox, Toshiba, Philips, etc.). Also, Humax and Toshiba used to make a Tivo with built-in DVD recorder, still available used and refurbished from a number of places. You can also capture video into any Tivo, transfer it to your computer, and burn DVDs. You can use Tivo Desktop software, but I use VideoRedo to edit and burn disks. Straightforward, but time-consuming (then again, you can go do something else. You don't have to sit and watch the transfers take place).

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.