Forum Announcement

Welcome to the new CNET Forums! Please don't panic. You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

Audio & Video Software

General discussion

Is there a way to select a group of photos and rename all?

by AKan / June 24, 2006 9:34 AM PDT

Is there a way to select a large group of photos and rename them all at once?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is there a way to select a group of photos and rename all?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is there a way to select a group of photos and rename all?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not in Windows. You'll want to explore File Renamers.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 24, 2006 11:44 AM PDT

It's a collection of programs specifically written for multiple file renaming. It's a varied lot so head to download.com and search for such.

Bob

Collapse -
But windows can do it
by konwiddak / July 8, 2006 3:28 AM PDT

As other people have said, select a load of files, right click and goto rename. Then one file name becomes blue and highlighted allowing you to type in your name. Then simply press enter and they all change with a number in brackets after each.

Collapse -
Yes...

You can rename a batch of photos, or any files for that matter, provided you want them all to have the same name followed by a number. Just select all of the files, right-click one, then type in the name followed by a number in parentheses. For instance, if you rename the first one AKan (17) the second one will be AKan (18), the third one AKan (19), etc. If you want something a little more advanced than that you'll have to track down a third-party program or do it manually, depending on how exactly you want to name them.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
he's right
by nukaladavid8 / July 5, 2006 9:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes...

that's how i've always done it. select all, right click, rename.

Collapse -
Bulk rename
by jones28s / July 6, 2006 10:54 PM PDT
Collapse -
file renamer
by dvgchef / July 6, 2006 10:59 PM PDT

I'm very happy using this free utility, go to download.com

Collapse -
IrfanView
by ringrhymer / July 7, 2006 12:38 AM PDT

Everyone should have the graphic viewer IrfanView, probably the best freeware product available on the internet.

IrfanView is provided as freeware, but only for private, non-commercial use {that means at home}. Even if you have to buy it, it's only $12.00.

It will batch convert/rename.

http://www.irfanview.com/

Collapse -
Renaming Picture Files with Irfanview.
by Ron Geiken / July 7, 2006 7:04 AM PDT
In reply to: IrfanView

Download Irfanview ASAP. I have been using this program for many years, and it is one of the best for a wide variety of functions. Also, you can get Picasa 2 for free too. Download and install both of them, and you can do almost anything that you want to do to a Photo.

If you camera shows up as a hard drive in Windows XP, then you can find the photos on it, and then click on the first one. If you have Irfanview set up as your default graphics program, it will load Irfanview and show the first picture selected. Then select Batch Conversion/Rename from the file menu. Find the first graphics file from the camera memory, and then after you find the final one, press shift and control and you will be able to select all of the photos in the camera memory.

Add all the photos, then select rename options, and select a name such as Family Reunion ## 2006 or something that will allow you to know what the photos are about. Select Starting Index of 1, then select the increment as 1. The ## will become 01, 02, 03, etc. If you do it on the camera memory, the number assigned by the camera will be overwritten by the name and numbers you have selected.

Then you can copy them all to a folder on the computer, or else use Picasa to load them in. If you use Picasa, you can modify the photos as necessary. After you have done this, store them to a folder on the hard drive that Picasa will help you create. If you also have an external hard drive, store a copy there for safety purposes. After you have the original and backup copies stored, you can then erase the files on the camera memory.

I have dozens on folders on my computer of photos that I have taken over a multiyear period, and that way it makes it easy to know where any photo on your computer came from. Personally I now rename every photo as it comes out of my camera memory, and it has worked great. After you take a few hundred or more photos, you might have a problem figuring out where they are at unless you organize them.

Collapse -
Thanks!
by Specht7 / December 13, 2013 12:43 PM PST
In reply to: IrfanView

<span id="INSERTION_MARKER">Thanks! I happen to already have this and I just tried it and it was Awesome! So Easy and Fast! THANKS SO MUCH! Saved me so much time!<span>

<b><i> Cool </i></b><span>

Collapse -
Yes! and simple

go to www.fastone.com/ . Download the image editer. Select your images and insert your prefences ... walla! renamed. If you want to rename other files, select the last file in the folder, then holding control, select the first one. Then type a name like this:
Filename (1)
it will rename the 2nd file as this filename (2). YOu cannot leave the brackets. If you see files like this :filename.XXX (XXX is a extension), remeber to type the name to:
filename (1).XXX

Collapse -
Bulk Rename with Windows
by thedjinn / July 7, 2006 4:16 AM PDT

If your not looking to name them anything fancy. You can do the following without installing any additional software programs:
1)open the folder with the pictures you want to rename.
2) Click "Edit" then "Select All", this will highlight all iamages in the folder.
3) Hold down the Control key "Ctrl"
4) Right click on the first photo in the folder and click rename. Name it something like flowers or whatever. Then just click anywhere on the screen or press "Enter" and it will rename your pic's like this, (flower.jpg, flower(1).jpg, flower(2).jpg and so on.

Collapse -
You can also do this....
by ctadams10462 / July 7, 2006 4:47 AM PDT

You can also open any window with files to rename, and left click hold and drag a blue highlight box over the files you want, they will have a bue box around them as you touch them with the dragging highlight box. Also if you tag one you dont want renamed or others that didnt get hit by the expanding blue highlight scrolling, you can press and hold control and the mouse to click individual files to rename. However if you let up on the control a bit it will make copies of everything highlighted at the bottom of the folder open.

Collapse -
Yes there an easy way to rename a group of photos?
by plugjones / July 7, 2006 9:45 AM PDT

Is there an easy way to rename a group of photos?
Yes, according to Microsoft. First, it's best to organize your photos into folders based on the subject matter or date of the photos. For example, if you have photos of your child's 4th birthday party, your vacation, and your brother's wedding, then you might want to create folders called: 4th Birthday, Vacations?2005, and Jim's Wedding.

Now with your photos categorized, renaming them all at once is easy. Just follow these steps:

Open Windows Explorer, and go to the folder containing the first set of pictures that you want to rename. For this example, we'll use the Vacation?2005 folder.
From the Edit menu, click Select All.
Right-click the first file or thumbnail in the list, and then click Rename.
Type the file name that you want to use to identify all the digital photo files in this folder, followed by the file name extension. For this example, we'll use ''SkiTrip.jpg.''

Press Enter. All of the files will be renamed and appended with sequential numbers, for example, SkiTrip01.jpg, SkiTrip02.jpg, and so on.

Collapse -
Yes, there is a way to select a group of photos and rename
by plugjones / July 7, 2006 9:50 AM PDT

Rename a batch of photos all at once
Make photos easier to find by giving them descriptive names
Published: June 20, 2005 (Microsoft)

When you download images from your digital camera to your computer, the file names of the images have nothing to do with the event or scene that you were taking pictures of. Renaming each file manually is time-consuming, but by using this Windows XP technique you can quickly rename a folder of digital photos all at once. When you use this technique on a folder, all the files in the folder end up with a single name (including a sequential number) that relates to the subject of the images. Using this technique to rename your digital photos makes it easier to locate the one you're looking for at a later date-a photo named museum of flight august (18).JPG, for example, is easier to find than that same photo named DSCN1518.JPG.

To rename digital photos with a common name and sequential numbering

Click Start and then click My Pictures.

Open a folder of digital photo files whose names you want to change.

Click Edit and then click Select All.

Right click on the first digital photo file in the list and then click Rename.

The name of the first digital photo file is highlighted and ready to be edited.

Type the name you want to use to identify all the digital photo files in the folder. Choose a name that allows you to identify a photo from this folder at a later date.

NOTE: Be sure to type the file extension after the file name. In this example we use the extension .jpg after the file name museum of flight august because these image files are jpeg format, which is the format that most digital cameras use.

Press Enter on your keyboard to rename all the digital photo files in the folder and add sequential numbering to the file names.

If you take a little time and go through your My Pictures folder and apply this technique to all your photos, the next time you try to find a specific photo you'll be glad that you did. And if you get into the practice of applying this technique right after you download your images to your computer, your digital photos will be well-organized and up-to-date as you accumulate digital memories.

Collapse -
Yes! and simple

go to www.fastone.com/ . Download the image editer. Select your images and insert your prefences ... walla! renamed. If you want to rename other files, select the last file in the folder, then holding control, select the first one. Then type a name like this:
Filename (1)
it will rename the 2nd file as this filename (2). YOu cannot leave the brackets. If you see files like this :filename.XXX (XXX is a extension), remeber to type the name to:
filename (1).XXX

Collapse -
Easy to do in Windows XP
by drixhen / July 9, 2006 11:49 AM PDT

I do this all the time...

Using Windows XP, I organize my photos in folders within "My Pictures" by the month they were taken. I then rename them according to the date they were taken. So, I select all the pictures that were taken on the same date (not the whole folder since one folder may contain pictures taken on many different dates). To do this, I click on the first picture I want to rename, then hold down Shift, and click on the last one in the group. Or if all the pictures I want are not right next to each other in the list, you can hold down Control and click on each one individually. All of the photos selected should be highlighted. Go back to the top and right click on the first one and select Rename from the drop down menu. Then, just type in the name you want. I always do the date. I have been doing this format: 1-1-06, but I am planning to change that to 01-01-06 as some programs in which I use my pictures don't order them correctly (instead of 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10; it orders them 1,10,11,12,2,20,21, etc.). Anyway... Whatever you name the first picture in your group, the others will have the same name, but will be labeled with a number. For example, mine usually look like this: 1-1-06 (1), 1-1-06 (2), 1-1-06 (3), and so on. There is no need to type the file extension. It will be there automatically when you open the picture in a program. Hope that helps! Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.