Windows Legacy OS

General discussion

Is there a version of free AVAST for Windows 98SE ?

by Rhonda_Random / December 1, 2010 5:36 AM PST

Greetings, all.

I found the DOWNLOAD button for the free version, but can't see any documentation re: operating systems. Can someone kindly direct me to the proper link for the free Avast version that will work on Windows 98SE?

Many thanks.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is there a version of free AVAST for Windows 98SE ?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is there a version of free AVAST for Windows 98SE ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Let me google that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 1, 2010 5:59 AM PST
Collapse -
Bah bah bah
by Rhonda_Random / December 2, 2010 6:20 AM PST
In reply to: Let me google that.

Bob, thanks anyway for replying.

Anybody else got any ideas? I'm trying to google this stuff myself, but am not too good at it yet.

Collapse -
Sorry.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 2, 2010 6:27 AM PST
In reply to: Bah bah bah

I missed if the question has changed to "What antivirus for Windows 98SE?"

If so, we have the find Cnet Spyware and virus forum which gets asked that every few weeks.

Until you find those other discussions you can try http://www.clamwin.com/
Bob

Collapse -
I'm running clamwin . . .
by Coryphaeus / December 5, 2010 3:21 AM PST

on my little ThinkPad (circa 1997) running W98SE. It's light, easy on resources, and I hope it works. LOL If it doesn't work I'll just reformat and reinstall W98SE.

BTW, if this W98SE computer is your only one and contains sensitive or irreplaceable data, I suggest you get your head examined.

Collapse -
(NT) I plan to try clamwin
by bus / December 25, 2010 7:45 AM PST
Collapse -
there is a program called kernelEX
by bus / December 25, 2010 8:10 AM PST

That is suppose to allow XP programs to run on win98 OS. If you are comfortable trying strange things and have no problem if you end up with a brick instead of a computer give it a try. I have not tried it yet and I only suggest it for the truly daring. http://sourceforge.net/projects/kernelex/

Collapse -
Kernelex
by dave3227 / February 5, 2011 3:47 AM PST

Kernel ex works fine for me. It is well behaved and can be removed easily if you want to. It will let you run many things including Firefox 3 and Adobe Flash. Nothing to be worried about.

Collapse -
antivirus
by jordenwilliam85 / December 24, 2010 9:03 PM PST

why you are using the outdated version of OS use XP and you will get a free trial version of avast to use.

Collapse -
Outdated operating system!! I'm offended . . .
by Coryphaeus / December 26, 2010 10:41 AM PST
In reply to: antivirus

My 1997 ThinkPad 385CD is running W98SE nicely, upgraded from W95. And using ClamWin. And it connects to my home network perfectly to my XP Pro and W7 Ultimate PCs. I use a Linksys 16 bit PC LAN card.

W98SE always gives me that warm and fuzzy feeling. It, uh, (choke, tears) "takes me back". It won't surf worth a crap but it boots in 45 seconds.

Collapse -
Me too
by adilatcnet / June 24, 2012 5:00 PM PDT

W98SE give me that feeling too Happy

Collapse -
Thank you for this question!
by chaosblessed / May 18, 2011 8:39 AM PDT

I had the same problem, and thanks to that Kernelex program one of the responders posted, I can now run windows 2000 and windowsxp programs! Yay!!!!!

Collapse -
KernelEx and Anti-Virus
by ojmn / May 27, 2011 2:01 PM PDT

Hello:

Collapse -
THANK YOU!!!!
by chaosblessed / May 18, 2011 8:41 AM PDT

Thank you sooooooooo much for posting this, you just made my day, I finally can run programs on this windows 98 ppc (I'm not of financial means to afford a new computer, so this is verrrrrrrrrrrrrryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy appreciated!)

Collapse -
Avast 4.8.1368...
by jahnjahn / June 25, 2011 8:48 AM PDT
In reply to: THANK YOU!!!!

still gets virus updates and works fine on Win98. In fact, I just renewed my free license and it is good 'til July 1, 2012. Of course, the virus updates may not continue that long. It appears that Avast has some paid commercial users still running Win98 who can't easily or economically upgrade to newer OS's, so they are continuing the virus updates for now. This is good news for the free users, too.

Sure, this will eventually come to an end. Currently, BitDefender 8 and ClamWin are the only two other free AV programs I know of that still support Win98, but both are demand scanners only and provide no real time protection.

But, there's still hope with ClamWin. A dedicated Win98 user has developed a program called Clam Sentinel which acts as a real time front end for ClamWin, and has additional heuristic capabilities which increase malware detection by as much as 60-70%. Rumor has it that ClamWin 1.x will include Clam Sentinel for it's real time scanning/protection. Time will tell.

Preparing for the future, I am already running all three: Avast and ClamWin with Clam Sentinel integrated. Yes, these two real time AVs can coexist with a few simple modifications. If anyone is interested in details, please ask.

Regards,
John

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.