Samsung forum

Question

Is there a usb wireless keyboard for Samsung's Smart TV

by cglow51 / August 18, 2011 1:17 PM PDT

I just bought the Samsung UN40D5550 Smart TV. I'm looking for a wireless keyboard that I can use with this tv so that it's easier to type to navigate the internet.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is there a usb wireless keyboard for Samsung's Smart TV
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is there a usb wireless keyboard for Samsung's Smart TV
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
by Samsung_CE_Tech Samsung staff / August 19, 2011 2:58 AM PDT

cglow51,

From the available information, the UN40D5550 will not offer
compatibility with the Samsung QWERTY remote control. Additionally, none of the current
and previous generation Samsung TVs will offer support for 3rd party keyboards
and mice.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Thanks for answering so quickly!
by cglow51 / August 19, 2011 9:27 AM PDT

What I don't understand is that if I have a USB port (this TV has two of them), why can't I use a different USB wireless device be it a keyboard or anything else that''s USB and wireless?

Collapse -
by Samsung_CE_Tech Samsung staff / August 19, 2011 4:19 PM PDT

cglow51,

From what I can gather, 3rd party USB Keyboard/mouse drivers are not part of the standard kit on the Samsung TVs. The USBs on the TVs are mainly used to view content from a USB drive (on select models), to connect to a wireless home network through a Samsung Linkstick or for firmware updating purposes. Because of this, USB or Wireless 3rd party peripherals will not be compatible.

Now, will this change in the future? I honestly don't know, but for the current and previous generations, they just aren't compatible.

--HDTech

Collapse -
More questions than answers LOL
by cglow51 / August 20, 2011 1:06 AM PDT

What do you mean by a "standard kit"? I bought the Samsung brand USB stick to have tv be on our LAN. I actually bought it on Amazon for much less than on Samsung's website.

Are you saying that USB's on this tv are not for peripherals? If that's the case then what do you call hooking up to the internet? I must say that I'm really confused about this!

Collapse -
You bet.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 20, 2011 1:18 AM PDT

Many folk are thinking these appliances are just like the PC. That is, there is some computer in there and look at that! USB ports so why should it not take USB peripherals?

Ready? The appliance is not a PC and does not have drivers or software to support what you want to plug in.

Does that help explain it?
Bob

Collapse -
More questions than answers LOL
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / August 23, 2011 10:08 AM PDT

cglow51,

Collapse -
Follow up to your last response
by cglow51 / August 24, 2011 1:44 AM PDT

Thanks for the follow-up information. I gather that if I get free streaming movies/tv via Amazon, that it won't work either unless I can get an application (if offered) from Amazon.

Collapse -
Follow up to your last response
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / August 24, 2011 3:35 AM PDT

cglow51,

Collapse -
Samsung Smart TV wireless keyboard and mouse

Have you heard anything about the model un40eh5300f. having keyboard options.

Thanks,
JC

Collapse -
Re: Samsung Smart TV wireless keyboard and mouse
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 4, 2012 1:58 AM PDT

JC,

I checked to see if this years model will be compatible with the official Samsung keyboards. Unfortunately, they will not be. However, I did look into your user's manual. Here are instructions for adding any non-Samsung keyboard:

Menu > System > Device Manager
Using this function, you can set up a keyboard or mouse to use with the TV. You can view your device lists and adjust keyboard or mouse settings in this menu.

Please note two things, though.
1) Depending on the model of the USB HID keyboard and mouse may not be compatible with your TV.
2) You can connect a keyboard and mouse at the same time.

Hope that helps!

--HD Tech

Collapse -
Answer
try this site:
by bode717 / March 21, 2012 9:32 AM PDT
Collapse -
try this site:
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / March 21, 2012 10:36 AM PDT
In reply to: try this site:

bode717 -

This will not work for the D-series.

The new E series models may offer some Bluetooth keyboard support on SOME models. While I don't have the finalized specifications, this is something that may be available for 2012 models, but not all of them.

For prior models, a keyboard from a 3rd party isn't possible.

--HDTech

Collapse -
samsung TV wireless keyboards
by droggyhumber / June 14, 2012 10:28 PM PDT

Have there been any further developments regarding this discussion? The comments by HDTech have been very useful 'something may be available for 2012 models, but not all' - any chance of more information?. I've just purchased a model UE40ES6300u and have enquired about various keyboard/pad models advertised by our Chinese friends, but replies from them have been negative or very cautious.

Collapse -
re: samsung TV wireless keyboards
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 15, 2012 12:06 AM PDT
Collapse -
D series -Wireless keyboard & Mice
by AndrewsRinesh / June 15, 2012 6:01 PM PDT

Hi,

Can we expect an automatic updation from Samsung to get the drivers loaded for Wireless keyboard & Mice especially SMART TV -D series (2011 late Models)

Rinesh

Collapse -
If the past is any indication.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 16, 2012 7:16 AM PDT

Look at the past history. If the product does not have a feature in it's brochure or web page you have yet to see them add more than what was there.

If you need this, be sure it touts such a feature!

Collapse -
Answer
Yes, there is a wireless keyboard that works
by sheilakb17 / April 12, 2013 5:28 AM PDT

I just bought a Logitech K360 Wireless keyboard for $19.99 at Staples and it works!!!!! So excited!!!

Collapse -
Answer
Keyboard for Samsung UE39F5500
by mmbf461 / May 13, 2013 8:31 PM PDT

I tried the rather expensive Samsung branded keyboard and this would not work. I then gambled and purchased a Logitech K400 wireless keyboard. To my great surprise this worked instantly. It is fully functional on the web browser and is so much easier than using the remote control.
There is limited functionality on the rest of the TV, but the key board can alter the volume and bring hub control menus and the SMART Hub. So far it has allowed me to enter and navigate all the other apps I have tried.
On the whole I am very pleased as this was only £29 from Currys, compared to nearly £70 for the Samsung one that doesn't work.

This keyboard really was plug and play. The TV recognized it straight away and I didn't have to alter any settings manually.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.