Internet Service Providers forum

Question

Is there a product I can use to boost my wifi to basement?

by wybull / January 10, 2013 12:49 AM PST

I have internet through our cable company. I am suppose to have the medium speed they offer but when when we try to use netflix or play on line games it is so slow it constantly is streaming/buffering so we can do either . It is also slow on the main level where the modem is. Any suggestions?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is there a product I can use to boost my wifi to basement?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is there a product I can use to boost my wifi to basement?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Two things you can try
by wpgwpg / January 10, 2013 12:54 AM PST

First, if you can move your router up from the basement, that's the best option. Next would be to connect a WAP (Wireless Access Point) with wireless-N to the router, and if possible run a wire from the router upstairs to where you could put the WAP.

Good luck.

Collapse -
boost wifi
by wybull / January 10, 2013 1:12 AM PST
In reply to: Two things you can try

the router is upstairs. I am paying for 18 mbps but according to CNET speed test I am at 2575 Kbps. VEry slow. They tell me the are working on problem.

The modem is a Arris WTM 6526. How do i get a little more signal to the basement ? What is a WAP. I only know the basics of computers, wifi, etc.

The modem I use is a rental from cable company. Can I link my Linksys E1000 to it to put out more signal without interfering with current modem? Everything is wireless.

Thank you for your help!

Collapse -
Here's what a WAP is
by wpgwpg / January 10, 2013 1:23 AM PST
In reply to: boost wifi

A WAP (Wireless Access Point) is something that connects to a router via a cable to a router. Since the wire can be up to 100 meters long, you can drill a small hole in the floor/ceiling and connect the two from one floor to the other.
When I was first learning about WAPs I made up a silly little rhyme to help me remember.
You can throw a wok at a wabbit but you can't connect a WAP to an AP without a wire". Happy An AP is an Access Point like a router.

Good luck.

Collapse -
Ouch.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 10, 2013 1:41 AM PST
In reply to: boost wifi

Everything is Wireless and you have ONE WiFi router. Unless your wired network that devices could talk to each other without interfering with a transfer from the internet to a third device, an all wireless setup is the worst possible setup as only one device can talk at a time.

But I see you want to improve the basement so there's how and in this can you just need one more WAP and since we can use a ROUTER AS A WAP we can put that upstairs with the router downstairs like this.

Arris -> WAN port first WiFi router -> LAN port out to -> LAN port of second Wifi router (configured as a wap)

You'll nearly double your WiFi bandwidth but going all wireless is not a good thing.
Bob

Collapse -
Help
by wybull / January 10, 2013 4:22 AM PST
In reply to: Ouch.

<font face="Calibri"><font size="3" face="Times New Roman">
</font><font size="3"><?xml:namespace prefix =" o" ns =" "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office"" /><o:p></o:p></font>
</font><font size="3" face="Times New Roman">

I am not technologically savvy. I know the basics. Simple steps. How do a I configure router as a wap? </font>
<font size="3" face="Times New Roman">Thank you!</font>

Collapse -
Pick your choice from ...
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 10, 2013 4:25 AM PST
In reply to: Help
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.