Site Feedback forum

Resolved Question

is there a .prc decompiler program?

by georgebrooks91 / January 25, 2012 12:07 PM PST

Im looking to decompile a .prc file, which is a palm database file, edit it and compile it back. I'm a independent contractor's helper, and we're trying to get a firmware from a device to help program other devices.

georgebrooks91 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: is there a .prc decompiler program?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: is there a .prc decompiler program?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by georgebrooks91

Collapse -
Yes. But not really.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 26, 2012 3:44 AM PST

Small world (my comment). I am updating one of my old PalmOS apps and there was an old decompiler years ago but since the result was only for those that write assembler and understood the calls to the PalmOS API it never was popular.

My app does program "devices" so I wonder if it's something I wrote.

Collapse -
Well thats not something i expected!
by georgebrooks91 / January 26, 2012 10:25 AM PST
In reply to: Yes. But not really.

How odd is this, never in a million years would I have expected to see the programmer on a random site ive gone to for years. Before I waste my time, Is it at all possible to pull the firmware from the device? I'm not trying to do any copy write infringement, but i need to obtain that firmware. The only decompiler Ive found ran in mostly the command line and pretty much is useless to me, vista and windows 7 hate it.

Collapse -
The apps I wrote were for
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 26, 2012 10:35 AM PST

Some big name maker of automatic doors. Since I work with the source code the issue for me was never there but as I have over a decade of PalmOS programming behind me I thought I'd comment about what I saw over the years.

Given the details so far I can't guess what or how to proceed.

Collapse -
by georgebrooks91 / January 26, 2012 10:51 AM PST

They also make tools. I dont know how to procedd I dont want any reprocussion from this of any sort. I'm just highly curious if this is possible. This is something I'm researching for myself, and nobody else knows. I do understand this is a public forum, and the whole internet could know. Ive played around with different programming languages before, and have brushed the surface with this. Doesnt have to be limited to the palm side, Im aware of a windows based form as well.

Collapse -
What we do know is this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 26, 2012 11:12 AM PST
In reply to: and

A .PRC and .PDB are "PalmOS Databases". What's in a PRC is mostly code and supporting things like screens, bitmaps and such. It's very rare to find firmware inside a PRC. For example we support field firmware updates but package the firmware in .PDB files that the app can read and use.

Be aware that a non-programmer may be very upset working with this stuff. I don't want to offend anyone but all this is going to take a seasoned programmer. One that has written code and apps for embedded devices to de-code the .PRC. I do not know of any friendly tools to decode a PRC.

Collapse -
Thats what I thought
by georgebrooks91 / January 26, 2012 11:24 AM PST

when using the decompiler I had, although it was random bits, i saw bitmaps and screen directions, but nothing definitive as address location to or from or a simple of doing it. I dont want to just give up, and me being not a programmer at all, makes me want to learn more about it. I appreciate the insights you have given. I just wanted to take where it goes to "download" and replace it with "upload". Happy But Its not that simple I gather. The Palm os dev seems have gone off to no mans land as well, I dont like how they are doing things.
The windows program you wrote is very nice, although i miss the debug menu. Ive never fully understood the hex byte sending part of the program other to confirm things were being sent to and from.
Thanks for responding, and wow what a way to bump into somebody.

Collapse -
Here's what I can do. How about the Dev Kit install notes?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 26, 2012 1:46 PM PST
In reply to: Thats what I thought

As I have to reinstall this old dev kit once in a while I have a one page document about it.

Email me via my profile and I'll share that document. It's not much but without it, I fear even the seasoned and grey hair programmers would have a hard time,

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.