Camcorders

Question

Is there a possible way to "jail break" a camcorder?

by Awwyee / March 14, 2013 1:03 AM PDT

This question may not make sense so let me elaborate here,
basically this is what is happening I would like to live stream my church services with a camcorder that i recently bought (JVC Everio model GZ-EX210BU) but i cannot do it its feautres are very strict so i tired bypassing it by getting a capture card. Not the most expensive one i got an EasyCAP capture card of of e bay for like nine bucks. I use the EasyCAP caupture card with camista and it does not work it says the camera is in use so i go ahead and use Debute Video Capture Software and it recognizes it some times. (The device is registered as an OEM so i have had to do some fiddling around to get it to work and actually show up) Some times Debute does not recognize the Camcorder with makes it nearly impossible to get it to work. I said all that to ask this:
Is there a way to install programs into this camcorder and make it become a Webcam? I know you can jail break phone and mod laptops but can it be done to a camcorder? its all in the software so is there a bypass i can do ? Im pretty sure there is a way since anything that has to do with computing components can be changed same for this? Please help iv'e been stuck for around 6 months trying and im running out of options. (i am aware that I could get a real camcorder for recording purposes but money is tight and i would like to work with what i have)
Computer Details:
Acer
Aspire 7560
Rating 5.8
Processor: AMD a6-3400M APU with Radoen(tm) HD Graphics 1.10 Ghz
Ram 4.00 GB
64-bit Operating System

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is there a possible way to "jail break" a camcorder?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is there a possible way to "jail break" a camcorder?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
I thought this camera was wifi equipped?
by Pepe7 / March 14, 2013 7:22 AM PDT

The product description says 'live monitoring'. What are the restrictions that are holding you back thus far?

Collapse -
Clarification Request
Where in the following instructions do your issues lie?
by Pepe7 / March 14, 2013 7:27 AM PDT

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
For most? No.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 14, 2013 1:27 AM PDT

But it's sad to read you bought all this before reading some page like https://ustream.zendesk.com/entries/21537123-Ustream-Recommended-Streaming-Setups where you see the recommended setups.

Again, while it may be possible, if folk ask then the answer is no. That is, those that want to dive into writing code and such dive in and do this. Some folk get upset about this or expect help in cracking the code.

For your research, look to google and that model. Add the phrase "use as a webcam" and see if anyone figured it out. As I don't own this model I can't help with the jail break.
Bob

Collapse -
Is there any camcorder that is reccomended to use?
by Awwyee / March 14, 2013 1:54 AM PDT
In reply to: For most? No.

Right now i cannot buy a camcorder worth thousands since this is for church funds are low i must put pocket money like i did to the other camera, i would like to know if you could look at these i found on e bay and you could tel l me which one is good for the purpose i am trying to do? under one thousand eight hundred if preferred.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Camcorders-/11724/i.html?_from=R40&_dmpt=Camcorders_Professional_Video_Cameras&Type=Professional&Recording%2520Definition=High%2520Definition&_nkw=camcorders

Collapse -
Sorry
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 14, 2013 2:00 AM PDT

But it appears that I can't help here. I supplied a link to reccommended setups so back to that if you really want this to work.

Then again, why must it be an immediate production? Most folk collapse under the strain of getting it to work and retreat to the old record and put it on the site later.
Bob

Collapse -
Again.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 14, 2013 2:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry

The most common reason for these failures is the lack of research. In the past you would pick up a camcorder and it had Firewire so you were good to go.

Today? Not so lucky. And those that don't research tend to get very upset that what they have does not work. In this discussion you write about hacking in but that's not for most folk as they don't write code or want to do that. They rely on others to have solved what problem they have.

Next time? Research. I supplied a link to the recommended setups. Please use those.
Bob

Collapse -
Choose carefully
by Terfyn / March 14, 2013 3:43 AM PDT

Why are you giving a list of hi-end camcorders? A single chip camcorder that records in HD is more than enough.
My camcorder is a Panasonic HC-V700 and its excellent. $350

My setup would be a Camcorder with HDMI output to a DVD recorder and a totally separate sound system.

To record a church service you will need the camera well back and probably high up. In a location like this, the picture will be great but the sound will be rubbish - full of echo and distortion. You will need to mic up the choir, congregation and the priest to get decent sound. This could be mixed down and fed into the recorder via the audio input. The camcorder mics will be useless.
This may be a case of back to the drawing board.

Collapse -
Answer
Streaming from a Camcorder
by Terfyn / March 14, 2013 2:04 AM PDT

You are talking about a direct signal to your PC? I agree with R Proffit, most modern camcorders will not pass a signal through. I have done it with a Canon HV20 which is a tape based camcorder and uses FireWire to connect to my PC or HDMI to record to a DVD recorder.
Your best bet is to get a decent webcam, some of the Microsoft units may be the answer. I don't expect you can fiddle with the camcorder software and get a successful result. OR Set up a DVD recorder and feed it from your camcorder.

In short. Start again and do your research before buying.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.