Windows Legacy OS forum

Is there a good free keyboard extender for XP sp3

by Gretel38 / January 1, 2013 3:16 AM PST

I'm looking for a program that lets you define short key combinations for long words or numbers; e.g., when you press zzk the word kleptomaniac is automatically typed if you've defined that combination. I'm now using Keyboard Booster. It has some flaws but isn't bad. However, the free version only allows 15 combinations. Does anyone know of a free downloadable one? I've searched but can't find anything. I'm running Windows XP sp3 on an HP desktop microtower.

BTW, the search link in the welcome post doesn't seem to work.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is there a good free keyboard extender for XP sp3
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is there a good free keyboard extender for XP sp3
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Re: keyboard extender
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 1, 2013 3:23 AM PST

That's offered for an unlimited number of strings by MS Word. That isn't free, of course, but if your question is about word processing and you already have that program, you wouldn't need anything else. I didn't check other word processors such as LibreOffice.
It's different if you want it to work in, say, Notepad and the command processor also. But without the context of your question I don't know if that's the case.

Collapse -
by Gretel38 / January 1, 2013 5:09 AM PST
In reply to: Re: keyboard extender

Yes, I use it in MS Word; I assume you mean the autotext function. But many times on the Web I have to write long words and/or numbers (like my telephone number or my library card number, which is 16 digits). Unless you know of some way of linking the autotext in Word to the browser, it's of no use.

Collapse -
Link only.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 1, 2013 3:30 AM PST
Collapse -
by Gretel38 / January 1, 2013 5:29 AM PST

autohotkey_L is really overkill for what I want. I guess I might try it if nothing more suitable is available, but it's hard to believe that there are no simple programs like Keyboard Booster that simply let you set up keyboard combinations for long words when there seem to be many that let you set keyboard combinations to open programs, insert symbols, change language, etc. I'm reluctant to install a program like autohotkey for several reasons, e.g., I've often got unwanted interactions with other programs, they are usually harder to install and use, and they take up more memory space.
Thanks for the reply in any case.

Collapse -
Yes there is.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 1, 2013 6:28 AM PST

But you are looking for free so that severely limits our choices.

The link is to an open source app so you are free to examine the sources and more. So far, open source apps have been the cleanest apps I've encountered over the years. Folks rip those apps to shreds if they put in more than is required.

Collapse -
Is there a good free keyboard extender for XP
by Gretel38 / January 2, 2013 5:50 AM PST
In reply to: Yes there is.

I thought I had found one--Unichars, which is free and supposed to do what I wanted, i.e., establish shortcut keys for long strings of characters. But I seriously doubt if it can do this at all. It has terrible documentation and an interface so complicated and misleading, you'd have to spend hours to learn to do anything. Keyboard Booster, which I'm using now, has a logical interface: Panes to type shortcut words and type the string it codes for. There are some advanced features in the menus you can use, but they don't clutter up its basic function. Unichars may have that in one of its menus or submenus or somewhere, but the documentation is written so poorly it's hard to know how to do anything. I tried for hours but am giving up and uninstalling it. Maybe I'll try the one you mentioned or just buy the full version of Keyboard Extender.

Thanks for your help in any case; if anyone knows of another program that does what I specified, I'm still open to suggestions.

Collapse -
It is not free but it is inexpensive ...
by Edward ODaniel / January 3, 2013 3:04 PM PST

at $7.95. Take a look here at ROBOTYPE,2817,2380508,00.asp

It will do what you want but do read all 7 pages of the info at the above link to see if it is too complicated for your preferences (actually sounds more complicated than it is).

You might also be happy with Universal AutoCorrect -

That is based on AutoHotKey as indicated here -

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.