Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

is there a free software for pic editing as good as photosho

by mjdatechboi / June 16, 2005 5:21 PM PDT

is there a free software for pic editing as good as photoshop

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: is there a free software for pic editing as good as photosho
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: is there a free software for pic editing as good as photosho
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try..
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 16, 2005 9:55 PM PDT
Collapse -
In a Word....No
by Rynn / June 24, 2005 5:35 AM PDT

Photoshop is the top of the tree when it comes to Image editing and I have tried several other Programmes reputed to be as good.

It isn't simply the Plugins that make Photoshop so good because it has a Plethora of other functions that don't so much as require the use of a Plugin. Once you get used to it's lay out and where to find what, it becomes far more intuitive than most any of it's alleged rivals.

Rynn

Collapse -
Here's a Excellent Program
by colindarby / June 24, 2005 12:55 PM PDT
In reply to: In a Word....No

Suggest you have a browse at ''Ulead PhotoImpact Ver. 10''.

The URL is
http://www.asiapac.ulead.com/pi/runme.htm

Click within this page on ''Reviews and Awards''
I have been using PhotoImpact for a number of years and I feel it is as good as Photoshop.
Price is $89.99USD [download price].
Updates are free for current versions and the ''Updates to New Versions'' are only $49.99USD [download price].
Now also do a search with Google for
PhotoImpact 10 reviews

Collapse -
absolutely! I agree
by funkid7 / June 29, 2005 2:31 AM PDT

I have used and still have a dozen diff photo editing apps: None can do what PS has done for me. If free is the key; several less complicated ones, will aid any photo hobbiest.

Collapse -
In a word?
by taboma. / August 1, 2005 5:42 PM PDT

Rynn, You are correct. Lots of programs trying to emulate Photoshop out there. Adobe Photoshop is the premier.
Professionally, I do not use filters most of the time.
Day-to-day use is what I rely on:
Levels, curves, color correcting, cmyk, dpi and clipping paths.
These are the basiscs one has to learn and become proficiant at.
Filters are great to produce special effects.
Basics are what Photoshop is all about.

The hardest part of Photoshop to me is the learning curve with a new version and learning how to use that version. Not easy. Where are the tools that you are accustomed to? Different place. New learning curve.
Great software and worth the money for professional results.
Not professional? Use Adobe Elements.
$79. Very good!

-Kevin

Collapse -
Free?
by taboma. / June 24, 2005 4:42 PM PDT

I have a Canon with Photo Impressions software. Part of the package. Check your camera software also.
Adobe Photoshop used to have a free editing software program that enticed you to purchase the full version. Limited functions but good for a few. Check out Adobe.com to see if they still offer a free software package.
I have Adobe Photoshop and besides the plug-ins and filters there is a huge learning curve in the software to learn fully. Every function that is in Photoshop has different levels, settings and functions.
Adobe Photoshop is professional photo editing...
Anything that is free, mediocre and questionable as to what it will do, is questionable. Free photo editing programs are available for a PC. Mac?
How good they are? Your guess? Ask Bob or Joe, our Moderators.
Adobe Photoshop?the best. Not cheap. Just great!
And, nothing is as good or compares to it!

Kevin

Collapse -
Try IrfanView
by lookaa / June 26, 2005 1:20 PM PDT

IrfanView is simple, fast, and free for individual use. The program lets you open and edit images, as well as multiple media formats. You can cut and crop images, apply batch conversions, add, sharpen, or blur effects, create panoramas, and change color modes easily.Just have a try from -
http://www.download.com/IrfanView/3000-2192-10387524.html

Good luck
==============================
Photo2DVD Software
master@photo-to-dvd.com

Collapse -
InfranView
by taboma. / June 29, 2005 3:44 PM PDT
In reply to: Try IrfanView

is for a PC only. Not a Mac. Adobe Photoshop is designed for the PC and the Mac with software versions.
InfranView may be a great freebee, but it is not comperable to Photoshop, and why would one spend $$$ for Photoshop when you could get a comperable program for free? Nothing great is FREE.
FREE advise maybe? :

Collapse -
Try IrFranView
by HopalongHowie / July 31, 2005 6:22 PM PDT
In reply to: Try IrfanView

Downloded it last night...Not a bad piece of software but very limited in the scope of what it can do. I also downloaded the plug-ins and could not get them to load at all.

Think I'm going to drop the bucks and get Photoshop.

Collapse -
Plug-in Problems
by taboma. / August 1, 2005 4:38 PM PDT
In reply to: Try IrFranView

What was the problem downloading the plug-ins?

Collapse -
Not Free but Less Expensive
by Cobramania / July 31, 2005 10:52 AM PDT

I have not come across a free photo editing program however there is one called Photo Pos Pro Image Editor that claims to be as good as photoshop at a lesser price tag of about $40.00. You can check it out at www.photopos.com. I will post again if I come across a free program.

Collapse -
WACOM: Off Subject
by taboma. / August 1, 2005 5:47 PM PDT

How is your Wacom Tablet?

Collapse -
WACOM: Off Subject II
by Cobramania / August 1, 2005 7:01 PM PDT
In reply to: WACOM: Off Subject

Hi Kevin,
I checked my order status earlier today and discovered that my ''in stock'' item has turned out to be an ''on order'' item. It is supposed to be in route to the warehouse for shipment to me. All of this is supposed to take place within a two week period from the date of purchase.=( I will post on this experience in it's entirety one way or another. ON SUBJECT- I have Adobe Elements2 and am still learning (total newbie). When I am able I will invest in the rock solid Adobe. All the research I have done as well as advice given by others using it completely back up what you are saying. It is the ONLY best there is. None are shy regarding the time and effort required by it's rather steep learning curve and still none would have any other.
Bethia

Collapse -
The GIMP
by engineer331 / July 31, 2005 11:28 AM PDT

There really is nothing that compares with Adobe Photoshop. That said, The GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program) is free and has similar functionality. It is not as capable as Photoshop, but it has its own plug-ins and filters, uses layers, and works with a wide variety of file formats.

The user interface is not that intuitive, but with a little practice you?ll find it to be very useful.

Collapse -
Adobe Photoshop Elements
by taboma. / July 31, 2005 4:27 PM PDT
In reply to: The GIMP

From Adobe.com:
Here is Great value for home users
The Adobe Photoshop Elements 3.0 plus Adobe Premiere Elements bundle provides photo and home video editing and DVD burning in one affordable package.

I do not use Elements. I use Photoshop exclusively. You can purchase Adobe Elements for $79. Good for the home user.
Anything out there as good as Adobe Photoshop V7CS?
Yes. V7CS2. That's it.

Kevin

Collapse -
GIMP Shop
by pcteacher / October 22, 2005 7:35 AM PDT
In reply to: The GIMP
Collapse -
Exceptional ''Free'' FastStone Photo Program
by colindarby / August 28, 2005 6:08 PM PDT

I have downloaded and installed and used the ''FastStone Image Viewer 2.22''
I have friends who have retired and have only limited finace and require a good ''free'' photo program!
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Copied the below fronm their Web Sit
Has an easy to use interface and a nice array of features that include resizing, renaming, cropping, color adjustments and more. It also includes an intuitive full-screen mode that provides quick access to EXIF information and thumbnail browser via hidden toolbars that emerge when you touch the edge of your screen with the mouse. Other features include a high quality magnifier and built-in slideshow with 150+ transitional effects, as well as lossless JPEG transitions, drop shadow effects, image frames, scanner support, histogram and much more. It supports all major graphic formats including BMP, JPEG, JPEG 2000, GIF, PNG, PCX, TIFF, WMF, ICO and TGA.

Collapse -
FastStone
by taboma. / August 30, 2005 1:45 PM PDT

Another new photo editing program added by colindarby. Nice info. Thanks.

Please post your message to Digital Camera Forum also. We have similar needs and discussions with photo editing software programs.
I think Joe (MOD) will welcome it. Maybe Grif (MOD), Bob Proffitt (MOD) and Joe could make up a general post to combine the results. Might be nice for both forums to know just how many photo editing programs there are out there and how many of us use them. What is great. And what is great and FREE!!

-Kevin

Collapse -
Depends on what you mean by "as good as.."
by EdH / October 31, 2005 1:41 AM PST

If you need to work in CMYK then Gimp, Irfanview, etc are useless. So what are you doing with it?

There is a shareware program called PhotoLine 32 that DOES support CMYK and has all the features of Photoshop and then some. The interface is a little weird. They have the Layers upside down in the stack from what most people are used to and you can't see Channels. But if you really want "as good as Photoshop" on the cheap PhotoLine 32 is probably your best bet.

Collapse -
As good as?
by taboma / November 1, 2005 2:17 PM PST

Ed, You are about 4 months late in posting but welcome! I agree with you for CMYK manipulation. I use Photoshop daily as a professional graphic artist with the Mac.
Are you on a Mac or PC? Both? Your profile does not list your system or what you use. Updating your profile would be helpful to view.
To be frankful to all?there is nothing that is as good as Adobe Photoshop. Period.
For a professional, it is a must. For a non-professional using jpeg and RGB files use anything that is inexpensive. And above all, learn to use it.

Need to have anything professionally printed? You have to send your files as CMYK (Cyan-Majenta-Yellow-K (Black). Your RGB (Red-Green-Blue) files will only be printed as black and white.
Any files on the internet are RGB. All digital cameras are RGB files also.

Ed, obviously, you have been spending way too much time on the Speak-Easy Forum lately (over 3,000 posts?)
Post to the Graphics Forum and you will not drive yourself nuts! :

Collapse -
Forum
by EdH / November 1, 2005 8:38 PM PST
In reply to: As good as?

I check in here periodically, but frankly there doesn't seem to be a lot of participation. I prefere the more professional level of discussion in the Adobe Photosahop Forums.

I work with both Windows and Mac.

Collapse -
Ed
by taboma / November 2, 2005 4:46 PM PST
In reply to: Forum

There is not a lot of activity here. You are right. Too bad. I use a Mac professionally. I have used Photoshop on a PC also. Photoshop is Photoshop. Command and control is the only basic difference between the two systems and using Photoshop that I find.
There seems to be countless questions about Photoshop and Infranview. Which is better? Pro paint another.
There has not been one post here in over a year and a half with a question concerning Adobe Illustrator or Quark that I can think of.
The only person who is really into graphics is our moderator and is into Adobe InDesign right now.

I really prefer the workplace with sharing new techniques and day-to-day stuff and new solutions with co-workers.
Post some new questions and or ideas. Run it by this graphic forum. See what happens. Most posters are not really into professional graphics at all.
Not many know what the difference is between a jpg and an eps file. Traps? A thing to catch annimals with! Filters are used with coffee. Acrobat is a trapeeze/ gymnist artist or something along those high wire acts.
Point size is a case in point. CMYK is colored chaulk.

Ed, try it out and see what you can do to generate ideas and/or questions.
Most of the time I gererate a question about Photoshop, I receive ?Infranview is FREE!?
How wonderful is that!?
Is it Ifranview or Inferanview? Who cares!?

-Kevin

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.