iPhones, iPods, & iPads forum

Question

Is there a docking/charging station with a headphone jack?

by 2TeckResearch / February 25, 2013 2:38 AM PST

It seemed simple. Find a docking/charging station that would would work with an ipod nano 4gen and have a headphone jack. And that would get it's power from the wall, so I wouldn't always have to have a computer nearby. Well, I looked and looked. There certanly are plenty of ipod docking stations with big speakers but none seem to have that simple little hole with the little picture of headphones above it (otherwise known as the line out right?). I don't always want to share my music, and I don't want to be draining my ipod batery when I am not mobile. I don't even need a docking station with speakers. If only the headphone jack on the ipod wasn't on the bottom. Hey, is there an extention cable that would plug into the ipod then plug into the docking station, thereby making the headphone jack accessible?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is there a docking/charging station with a headphone jack?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is there a docking/charging station with a headphone jack?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
I can see why.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 25, 2013 2:41 AM PST

Since you put this into said dock, the headphone jack (well is it on my iPod) is right there ready for me to plug in my headphone.

Is this some one that must have it exactly their way? If so, what stopped them from modifying the usual dock to add the jack? Trivial work for any electronics person.
Bob

Collapse -
So there is room to plug into the headphone jack?
by 2TeckResearch / February 25, 2013 3:22 AM PST
In reply to: I can see why.
Collapse -
If you can find the dock with 3.5mm output in back...
by Pepe7 / February 25, 2013 5:13 AM PST
Collapse -
A silly question....
by 2TeckResearch / February 25, 2013 3:27 AM PST
In reply to: I can see why.

But you can turn on the ipod and listen to it while it's charging, right?

Collapse -
My iPod and dock does that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 25, 2013 4:21 AM PST
In reply to: A silly question....

Again, if you don't find exactly what you want, modifying some speaker dock is trivial today. Here I have the other iPod with the headphone jack at the top.
Bob

Collapse -
No, it's not trivial for the vast majority
by Pepe7 / February 25, 2013 5:09 AM PST

Bob,

Trivial to you and I, yes. Absolutely. But ask yourself though, what actual percentage of people can in reality accomplish this(?) And most won't be seeking out the electronics expert to mod one for $50 when you can buy a new one for close to that amount, or at least put forward that toward the one which does what you need ;).

-P

Collapse -
If I look around me at the office?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 25, 2013 7:09 AM PST

Better than 9 out of 10 can do that.

But what I'm seeing is that folk are giving up without trying. Maybe that's what they teach in school today. That is, you never would make what you need. You should never get out the tools, put those away before you hurt some one.

Or better yet, we'll sue you for modifying the gear you paid for!
Bob

Collapse -
I'd take that bet
by Pepe7 / February 25, 2013 2:29 PM PST

I'd say you are likely overestimating your sample as typical. I'd wager that in a typical (non-IT based) office, two or three out of 100 could actually pull off such a mod. That's certainly not to imply that it's difficult, but to assume that something was wrong with their education is also not a good conclusion. It's simply not something that's in most folks' wheelhouse.

Your third comment seems more like what I was thinking initially ;). {And is the Apple stuff ever really designed to be futzed with, e.g. move around ports/jacks(?) }

Collapse -
Trivial--Have You Ever Done This?
by 2TeckResearch / March 1, 2013 1:31 AM PST

I do appreciate your replies and comments, but I can't agree with your assessment that this is trivial. I've been told that this is not just a matter of just soldering the speaker wires into a headphone jack.
Are you aware that speakers have significantly lower impedance than headphones, and just wiring a speaker jack to a headphone jack could give some pretty ugly results? A decent headphone has relatively high impedance (~30-40 ohms) and a docking station speaker has much lower impedance (~4 ohms). I am told this mis-match can significantly distort the sound, and possibly damage the headphone. The mechanics of soldering very fine wiring aside, I seriously doubt 9 out of 10 people (or even 1 out of 10) have the skills and necessary knowledge to design and engineer a proper impedance match. Having said this, I'm willing to give it a try if you (or anyone) wants to explain how to do it properly.

Collapse -
Yes. Too many times over the years.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 1, 2013 1:45 AM PST

Your reply sounds as if you need a ready to use product. I'm seeing more consumers today. That is, they will never do anything like this.

As to the impedance, you can match that if you feel the result didn't work for you. Again, it's trivial but rarely done.

My bet is that someone is trying to talk folk out of such work. That is, why empower folk today when you can sell them a new box?
Bob

Collapse -
Reality check
by Pepe7 / March 1, 2013 3:19 AM PST

You can take the helicopter back from fantasy island any day now ;).

Now you are suggesting that "someone" is 'talking folk out of such work'(?) Time for a history lesson, amigo. As many consumer conveniences arrived in years past, things were replaced/new items more effective were purchased instead of repaired. There's no such thing as a broad brush stroke in how to handle a specific need for a consumer device. It's painfully easy to see however why it's not a bad idea to stay away from most except the really low hanging fruit.

Collapse -
-> Yup. -> "Consumers."
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 1, 2013 3:37 AM PST
In reply to: Reality check

I agree. Now that we want a bunch of cattle or sheep (consumers) we never want to encourage anyone to try to do it themselves. We should never reveal that connecting three wires to a jack that require a drill to be trivial.

We should never share anything that could result in sales being lost to the stores.

"Protect the banks!"
Bob

Collapse -
You responded to the wrong person in the thread
by Pepe7 / March 1, 2013 3:15 AM PST

Re-read it more carefully. I was in agreement with anyone who's asserting it's really not the type of mod one should deal with. (See my dig at Apple above.)

Bob (R. Profit) was the person saying it's easy for anyone to accomplish.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech Tip

Stuck without Internet and want to watch movies?

CNET shows you how to download movies and TV shows onto your device using Amazon Prime so you'll always be entertained.