Phones

General discussion

Is their a way to listen to internet radio on my phone?

by MrKassner / January 30, 2010 4:26 AM PST

First I want to say I know their are plenty of apps and websites that offer you thousands on internet radio stations to listen to including ones that your phone provider give you but what I want to do is listen to a certain radio station that I'm pretty sure no other website/app has ( http://212.227.79.111:9536/ ) does anyone know of a program that can do this? Also my phone is a Samsung Instinct s30.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is their a way to listen to internet radio on my phone?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is their a way to listen to internet radio on my phone?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
how wonderful to see other asking for that
by whooa from sweden / January 30, 2010 5:17 AM PST

unfortunately I have not found any way In my quest for solving this.
I have posted bug reports at sonyericsson in their own native language concerning their w-models (the "music entertainment" cell phone with the ability to NOT play webradio) but their answers are mildly said "technology hostile" so my next step would be sticking my head down in the dirt and shout in their ears. Good luck and please post if you find a sollution.

Collapse -
I was sure this would be something easy to do and
by MrKassner / January 30, 2010 8:26 AM PST

I was only looking in the wrong spaces on Google. I guess I was wrong. I hope their is a way to do it because this is my favourite station and it would be great to listen to it during the day when I'm at school (surprisingly a lot of the teachers let you listen to music as long as you are doing your work, which for me listening to music makes it easier to work).

Collapse -
I just read ...
by Kees Bakker / January 30, 2010 5:23 AM PST

that somebody here (in The Netherlands) predicted the end of flat fee mobile Internet access, because too many people wanted to use their phone for thing like streaming video's or listening to Internet radio that use expensive bandwith. With a decent Internet radio being 100 kbs, that 3600*100 kb in an hour, that's 360 Megabit (45 MB) an hour.

Now see the data tariff per MB for your phone. Still want to do it?

Kees

Collapse -
Well I can't see that happening at all,
by MrKassner / January 30, 2010 8:21 AM PST
In reply to: I just read ...

and if it did then cell phone companies can say goodbye to a lot of their customers.
Phones need the internet for system updates, GPS, email/calendar/contact syncing, TV (think about all the people that watch the news or sports), radio, picture mail, games/ringtones and other downloadable content, weather, and that's only a few of the things on NON-smart phones. Plus don't forget everyone that uses MySpace, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and so on.
People aren't going to pay per KiB on their phones for the same reason they don't pay per KiB with their computers internet; they use too much of the internet.
Also a 32KiBps stream would sound fine on most phones, 64KiBps for higher-end where signal permits. Either way 45MiB an hour is NOT a lot and they made 4G to make internet and voice completely separate from each other to prevent overloading of the networks.

Collapse -
Just avoid that Samsung Instinct
by Pepe7 / January 30, 2010 1:30 PM PST

Trade up for a basic Windows Mobile phone and you'll be able to stream that station (and most others) w/ no issues. There are many, many streaming apps to choose from.

-Pedro

Collapse -
I'm not a Windows person.
by MrKassner / January 30, 2010 1:40 PM PST

Plus I just got this phone a couple weeks ago, it does have many annoying bugs and limitations but in my opinion it's good still outweighs the bad. Plus it's the best phone I can afford ($29.99 after all the discounts), cheapest Android phone (I'm not a Palm person either) is $179.99 after all the discounts and I just don't have that kind of money. Until I get a job, am able to move out, and get off of my parents phone plan, I'm pretty sure this will be the last phone I get.

Collapse -
Instinct sliced and diced @ Hofo
by Pepe7 / January 31, 2010 2:09 AM PST

In that case, definitely pop over to the appropriate sub-forum @ howardforums.com to see what workarounds have been devised for getting the shoutcast streams to work correctly on your Sammy.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.