The CNET Lounge

General discussion

Is the Philips 42PF7320A/37 a LEMON???

by nworking / May 9, 2006 9:44 AM PDT

Just a quick poll here. I have a Philips 42in Plasma TV that the picture went out on over two months ago after only a 6 weeks of use. It's been in the authorized repair shop since. Philips customer service tells me that the digital display part needed is on back-order till June.

My question is: Is this sort of thing normal or is it possible that the model is a lemmon and they cant keep up with the demand for parts because the entire lot are bad?

Any information is appreciated

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is the Philips 42PF7320A/37 a LEMON???
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is the Philips 42PF7320A/37 a LEMON???
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
And possibly a bad repair shop
by Redhats Q / May 9, 2006 9:56 AM PDT

First up , Plasma are pigs to work on, I hate them, and we see lots of plasma's with issues all brands

So I'm hardly objective, on the other hand philips have GREAT spares support.

So a long delay is unusual. IF the part is not ex stock in NZ, (it doesn't fail often) like a lost remote or oddball part we have to get ordered in we usually have a 6 week wiat as part come by surface due to weight.

I suspect that either someone isn't in a hurry to fix it, or there is a problem.

Something is not right here, and with 6 weeks of use and 2 month wait, it should have been replaced or refunded.

SOMETHING IS WRONG HERE ....

Chase it up with both the store that sold it, and the service centre, and talk to the managers of both....

You paid a lot, and you should get better service.

What are they giving you to use in the meantime ???

Collapse -
Yes it is a lemon
by michaeldod / July 15, 2006 4:02 PM PDT

I have had mune for 4 months and it just dies...makes clicking noises and then has a blinking red light. I wonder if there is enough of us for a class action lawsuit. Have you had any luck ?

Dave

Collapse -
Yes it is a lemon
by harrisconst / July 21, 2008 3:21 PM PDT
In reply to: Yes it is a lemon

I have the same 42" plasma, worked great for first 14 months then the clicking noise and red LED blinking. Called Phillips repair center took them three weeks to get back to me. In the mean time I took set to a local repair shop. They had the set for about five days, tested and tested to find the problem was a $5.00 part.....a crystal similar to what the old time citizen band radios used. The set worked fine for another year or so and now no power at all. Some of my research says a possible failure of a low-voltage module that controls power to the switch? Hope this was helpful, my set is going back to my local honest repairman. Hunt Electronics in Palm Springs, CA 760-320-4666.

Collapse -
Its a Lemon!
by michaeldod / July 16, 2006 12:46 PM PDT

We should get a class action lawsuit going. Let me know if you are interested.

Collapse -
Very American
by Dirty Pirate / January 28, 2007 1:31 PM PST
In reply to: Its a Lemon!

go right for the class action. (stirs the pot Wink )

Collapse -
Philips 42" Plasma issue (42PF7320A/37)
by jgarcia416 / December 21, 2007 11:02 AM PST
In reply to: Its a Lemon!

I've had mine for 2 years 5 months. The bottom half of the picture is black. It seems to go in and out every now and again, but lately it has been staying on. I spent a lot of money on this unit and am wondering why, if this is a common issue, hasn't there been a recall?

Collapse -
did you figure out whats up with your tv?
by creeves5 / October 17, 2009 3:03 PM PDT

I have the same tv, and just started having the same problem. Did you ever figure out what was happening? I've enjoyed mine, and if i can fix it, want to. Can't afford to buy another one right now....
Thanks, Chris

Collapse -
My Philips 32PF7320A a lemon, too.
by chaplin50 / August 20, 2006 6:52 PM PDT

How do we start a class-actoin suit?

Collapse -
class action
by rosscbrown / August 20, 2006 7:04 PM PDT

now now children, the only ones who get rich in a class action lawsuit are the lawyers

Collapse -
Better the lawyers get rich...
by chaplin50 / August 20, 2006 7:17 PM PDT
In reply to: class action

Better the lawyers get rich than to have Philps continue to line their pockets selling faulty products.

Collapse -
My Philips 32PF7320A a lemon, too.
by chaplin50 / August 20, 2006 6:57 PM PDT

How do we start a class-action suit?

Collapse -
Philips 42" Plasma- Worst Product Line
by aashiq_dewaana / August 23, 2006 5:21 AM PDT

I have a 42'' Philips Plasma. Even I am having the same issue. It suddenly turns off and has a red-light.Would never suggest/buy a Philips again.

Collapse -
wtf?
by Alegoo92 / January 28, 2007 11:26 AM PST

why do you people immediately resort to lawsuits against a company for faulty hardware, get the problem rectified, and be compensated for what you payed for..

its stupid greedy things like these that give countries like the US a terrible legal system in shambles...

Alex

Collapse -
Mainly because they generally have no other recourse.
by toulouse2k / February 7, 2007 10:33 PM PST
In reply to: wtf?

In the U.S. we have, in theory, a free market. Class action lawsuits don't tend to benefit the victims much, but the lawsuit gets media attention and casts the spotlight on the problem. It also tips off potential consumers to avoid that product and perhaps, other products made by that company.

Collapse -
I dont think so...
by Alegoo92 / February 8, 2007 6:18 AM PST

I do live in the US, btw, not sure if u were teaching me about US law or nething...

but in either case filing lawsuits against companies in the rampid way they are done in this country is terrible. Very cumbersome for the company: gives the lawyers every reason in the world to lie, and is only done to be an instant gratification way of making money without ne work...

Alex

Collapse -
a free market.
by Japcy07 / July 23, 2010 12:49 PM PDT

Oh really?They have free market?Are all people did benefit the said free?Who implement that?

Collapse -
class action against Philips TV
by etroth / January 29, 2010 3:59 AM PST
In reply to: wtf?

There is no recourse for consumers dealing with a company that does not fix or even respond to issues with an expensive product. A class action will save you $$$ and cost us less if we can be compensated for our loss due to a defective product. I am unwilling to eat $2000+.

Collapse -
Try this.
by RBarthes / September 7, 2006 11:20 PM PDT

I also had the same problem - the unit turns itself off and comes back on. Brought back one set, and the second unit did the same thing. Was ready to go with another brand when I noticed the latest firmware upgrade (August 3) supposedly fixed this known issue.

I upgraded the firmware (very easy procedure) about 2 weeks ago and haven't had an issue since. I agree this never should have happend, but if the fix works, it beats schlepping to Costco AGAIN.

Here's the link. Good Luck!
http://www.usasupport.philips.com/productDocuments.html?ProductCode=42PF7220A/37&subCat=PLASMA_LARGE_32_42_SU_US_CONSUMER

Collapse -
Firmware update doesn't cure all...
by chaplin50 / September 8, 2006 9:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Try this.

Philips has both software and hardware problems. This latest firmware update solves the ''intermittent'' video problems that some have. My problem is no video at all. I had upgraded firmware three times (scary to think there were three revisions in the three months the TV worked) and yet it was after the latest that the tv died completely.

Four weeks and counting for the Philips rep to get back to my repair tech. When they do get back we'll probably find that the small signal board is backordered. Maybe they are reading my posts because the longer I wait, the more time I have to post reviews of their products.

Collapse -
I hear that, mine died after 95 days of use!
by asher.12c / January 8, 2007 10:29 AM PST

This tv has massive problems, I wixh I would have researched it befor I bought it. I got it from the philips outlet so I guess I am out of luck.

Collapse -
need some help w/ firmware
by debsowers / February 7, 2007 8:36 AM PST
In reply to: Try this.

I upgraded to the latest version but it did not help the on/off problem. I had my set a year before it started (just past the warranty of course). From looking at the upgrade list, maybe a previous version of the firmware would do the trick but I can't find it anywhere. Does anyone have the old upgrade files saved by any chance? Don't know that it would work but seems worth a try.

Collapse -
Firmware may not help
by JAZZY6 / February 10, 2007 10:05 AM PST

I was told by a repair tech that if it makes the clicking sounds, them goes dark and the red light starts to flash as mine did. It would need a board replaced. Good luck

Collapse -
Another vote for lemmon
by JAZZY6 / January 28, 2007 10:16 AM PST

I have the tv abought six months and have several small problems and one big one. The sound would come and go. I needed to turn the set off and back on several times to get sound. I figured out that I needed to clicks on power up for the sound to work, if I only got one I would have no sound. Preferred channels won't save my choices after turning the set off and most recent it turns it self off and I get a red light that flashes five times and repeats. I need to unplug the tv before it will come back on. In four or five minutes it will go off again

Collapse -
: Another vote for lemmon
by debsowers / February 8, 2007 10:47 AM PST

Did you ever resolve your shut off problem?

Collapse -
Repair ????/ Happy ending
by JAZZY6 / February 10, 2007 9:58 AM PST

I called phillips and was given a case number and phone number of the closet repair shop. After several calls to the repair shop, thier tech explained each of the problems I discribed would most likley involve multiple boards to be replaced. Without ever looking at the set it was deemed unrepairable. I was told they would contact Phillips to see what they would do. More than two weeks passed and a half dozen calls to the repair shop with no answer. I finally called B.J.'s Wholesale where I had purchased the tv and explain my story to them and to my surprise they agreed to take the tv back and refund all my money. I can't tell you how happy I was. I am now doing a little researh before buying another tv. Any one have a suggestion on a good set? I think that I may go LCD this time.

Collapse -
Why Phillips???
by Slikkster / December 22, 2007 8:52 PM PST

In my view, Panasonic is really the price/performance leader in plasma displays. They've taken the lead in lowering prices, while offering outstanding consumer displays in the process. They constantly get rave reviews and editor's choices, etc., so I'm curious why someone would opt for Phillips? Just price alone?

Re: LCD vs Plasma: Both have some advantages, but for pure picture quality, plasma is still king. Be sure to get one with anti-glare coating. Panasonic has a 42" 1080p model that rates very well. Go research the TH-42PZ77U plasma from Panasonic. Rave comments. 1080p. Less than $1300 in many places. Can't go wrong with that.

Collapse -
This TV and Philips Customer Service is CRAP
by Averydka / May 11, 2008 5:43 AM PDT

Hello,
My TV died this week after 23 months. I have had trouble off and on for months with the screen going black and having white and pink streaks through it. Authorized repair guy came out, said every board needs replaced, best to just toss it in the trash. I called Philpis and they offered to send another for $1009.00, yet they couldn't tell me the model they would be sending (the have a 42 inch for $800.00 presently and I paid over $2000.00 in 2006.

Collapse -
We just filed a complaint on this same TV with Phillips
by tanty4000 / June 6, 2008 7:01 AM PDT

YES, this TV is a LEMON!!! After dealing with the exact same issues for the last couple of years ourselves (and no assistance from Phillips), we finally filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau (BBB). Phillips offered us a replacement set for more than current sets are selling for. I think their replacement set was $952 and Best Buy had a current 42" Phillips for less than that. We responded to the BBB that we did not accept Phillips' offer, but Phillips never responded again. The BBB closed the case as Unresolved and marks as an UNSATISFACTORY report against Phillips. I would encourage as many people as possible to do the same.

Collapse -
Not reniging on liability
by IrvineCAGuy / July 23, 2010 4:21 PM PDT

This is turning out to be a lively debate: There is no doubt by the numbers of people who have major issues with Philips plasma TVs that Philips better step up to take responsibility here..even beyond the 12 months warranty. Electronic components are NOT supposed to fail like this. What I am saying, however, is that while the Class Action law firm figures out how they are going to make their bundle, we set owners are left waiting. The problem with the power supply turns out to be two under rated capacitors that cost me $2.00 each at the local electronics parts store to replace (I know how to work on electronic boards so it was easy for me to do the labor.) Rather than put the set in the garage and wait like the class action attorny suggested, I fixed it myself and now I'm watching a great HDTV TV again. But I'm not letting Philips off the hook...they are still liable for Samsung's design flaw (remember, Philips does not make TV's any more). They need to pay for the capacitor replacement (not everyone knowns how to disassemble their TV set the solder parts.) On the other side of consumer rights: protest Philips by not buying any more of their products, and write them and let them know (if they don't know already).

Collapse -
And still another vote for the Phillips Plasma Lemmon
by aciegach / April 10, 2008 1:04 PM PDT

Has anyone had snowy red lines running through the picture? It did it one day then stopped for a couple of days and now it's doing it all the time. Mines just under 2 years old. Any suggestions on what's happening?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.