PC Hardware forum

Is the motherboard dead although it hums?

by Sokretis / February 19, 2013 6:49 PM PST

Athlon xp 2600+
ddr ram 512 mb
radeon 9600 pro
windows xp sp3
500 gb western digital hd

Suddenly pc wouldnt start.
I opened it. Tested psu with a thin wire. It started. So I know its not psu issue.
Forums suggest that it may be a dead mobo. But I am reluctant about it because it gives a humming sound.
I also tried to switch the power on and the reset cords, but it didnt work. So my question is, if a motherboard kicks the bucket does it still hums?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is the motherboard dead although it hums?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is the motherboard dead although it hums?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Re: motherboard
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 19, 2013 6:57 PM PST

Motherboards don't hum. Only fans and rotating hard disks hum. And all they need to hum is power.

Since we don't know your problem we can't suggest any solution or cause for it. What is your problem, and why do you think it's cause by a dead motherboard?

Collapse -
I disconnected all the drives
by Sokretis / February 19, 2013 7:08 PM PST
In reply to: Re: motherboard

and I hear the hum sound. If the hum sound comes from the radeon 9600 or the athlon xp it still means that electricity pass through motherboard.
any suggestions?
I thought that you could get that the issue is that the pc doesnt boot.

Collapse -
Re: no boot
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 19, 2013 7:16 PM PST

Just last week a friend called me with a laptop that didn't start. It turned out she meant Windows had a problem with some Windows update and decided to stop with a black screen. Not booting clearly is something else.

I'd disconnect as much as possible (USB-device, hard disk, diskette, CD/DVD-drive, mouse). Remove the sound card, the Ethernet card, the WiFi card, whatever you have). You only need motherboard, keyboard and monitor to boot and diagnose.
Then tell what happens if you turn on the power. Anything on the screen? Any beeps?

Collapse -
tried to unscrew the cards
by Sokretis / February 19, 2013 10:15 PM PST
In reply to: Re: no boot

failed. they were too strictly screwed. Then pressed the start button. The fans spinned a little then stop. That makes me think.. maybe it is a partially bad psu? Maybe the psu works but not well enough to operate the computer.

Collapse -
Look into...
by Willy / February 19, 2013 11:02 PM PST

Since, you've noticed the cpu fan "twitch" for a little while, that suggests a bad PSU. Understand, the PSU provides more than one voltages. Your "logical power-ON" was defeated and can't continue, likely 3.3V or 5V at fault. Just replace the PSU and take it from there, is the most logical step to take. If that resolves it, great, because you seem to have disconnected everything else. If not, then the mtrbd. is at fault as the other half of this problem. Also, because this is a "dated PC" look for "bad caps" examples, google for them. Bad caps will also have similar results and/or wear&tear of the system due to age is finally breaking down, however replace PSU to test anyways. A spare of similar wattage will do OK for testing.

Screws "too tight" come on get a proper tool and unscrew them. Wink

tada ------Willy Happy

Collapse -
A bad card or even an IDE cable
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 19, 2013 11:06 PM PST

Can cause that symptom. However this is the famous Athlon xp 2600+ which a naive PC repair person may fry if they are unaware that power up with the heat sink off can fry the CPU and cause the CPU to short out and then the PSU will do what you noted.

This age machine also suffered the BAD CAPS PLAGUE (google that.)

I hope you are aware of this machine's history and issues.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.