E-readers forum

General discussion

Is the Kindle 3 the best e-reader for a blind user?

by katshaff / November 26, 2010 9:34 PM PST

These have really come down in price. My son (in his twenties) is retuning to college after a two year gap (medical issues). His current tech is old, we need to update his computer, but would also like to get him an e-reader.

From what I have read the Kindle 3 seems to be approved by the AFB (American Federation of the Blind).

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is the Kindle 3 the best e-reader for a blind user?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is the Kindle 3 the best e-reader for a blind user?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 27, 2010 2:28 AM PST

But you did write "best". This means we can also consider custom readers at any price.

The Kindle's speech tool is so good that it has created a lot or ire from those that produce audio books.

Collapse -
Kindle for a blind user
by katshaff / November 27, 2010 6:05 AM PST
In reply to: No.

I wish I could consider any price...but can't. All of his systems are antiquated...and bit by bit we need to update all (reader, computer..likely an EYEPAL and a GPS since he navigates in a large city) Currently he is either listening to books on CD's or downloading them on his computer.

I also need to contact AFB and see if they are shifting to this foramt, growing up he had great access to books on tape. He got to the point where he could listen at a high speed (blind speed reading:)) and still comprehend.

If he could do pleasure reading with a nice library to choose from it would be helpful. He has a little bit of vision in one eye, and could likely (holding it very close to his eye) navigate the buttons. The I pad seems like an option, but like 4 times the cost, and he travels by bus and train in a large city...some stops are dicy and I think an Ipad begs to be robbed.....

He will be returning to college classes (history major). Being able to down load PDF's would be a plus.

Let me reprhase: Is the Kindle 3 the best in the under $200 range? If there is something signifcantly better in the 200-400 range I can consider (especailly if he can get academic books on it) but I can't right now afford the over 1,000 EYEPAL.

I did go to the NFB and AFB sites, but I did not find much help on this.

Thanks for your input...much appreciated.

Collapse -
In that price range, likely the best "reader."
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 30, 2010 7:46 AM PST

As I alluded in my first reply the text to speech is good enough to spark the ire of the audio book industry. It's not perfect but it's better than most.

As to CONTENT, PDFs are noted and if I told how I would be duplicating web content. I'll keep to stuff you can't find with ease as I have to type my replies.

Ask NFB, AFB if they have kindle content or PDFs they tested on the Kindle 3.

Collapse -
e-reader with accessibility for blind student/adult
by gadget girl / December 12, 2010 6:21 AM PST

It is my understanding that the iPhone4 has additional accessibility options (i.e for dear, hard of hearing, and a braille keyboard). I can currently read pdf in iBooks (contact Apple about accessbility for blind users).
Additionally, RFB&D LearningThroughListening.org will provide services services for students.

I am unaware of the AFB recommendations, but I am aware of accomodations made at Pre-Grade 12 for students with special needs. Most(not all) colleges/universities have disability/accessibility counselors for students making a transition to college. Publishers have to provide textbooks in a digital format (even if this is only a CD); this is where a E-Reader would come in handy.

Collapse -
From my understanding of the iPhone4.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 12, 2010 6:30 AM PST

It's not usable by the blind. And almost why it was never going to come out but that passed quickly.

I didn't find a braille keyboard at apple.com. Sorry, I missed it.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.