Samsung forum

Is the ES 7100 tv better than the ES 7150?

by shogo2040 / November 29, 2012 6:37 AM PST

There is conflicting information on Samsung's website. In the comparision grid, the only difference is that the 7150 comes with a free keyboard (this seems to only sell at Costco). But digging in deeper, I found that the 7100 actually differs in

7100 => 20,000,000:1 Dynamic Contrast Ratio

7150 => 18,000,000:1 Dynamic Contrast Ratio

But all other specs are identical. The price of the 7150 is only $50 less than the 7100 (comparing costco to bestbuy).

My question is, will you see a difference of 2,000,000 DCR in picture quality? The only reason I'd buy the 7150 is the free keyboard and the 90 day return policy with costco.. but I'd sacrifice both of those for a better DCR if I can really see that difference.

If I get the two TV's side by side, what is a good test to look for to compare the DCR?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is the ES 7100 tv better than the ES 7150?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is the ES 7100 tv better than the ES 7150?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
by kmhbt / January 20, 2013 5:22 AM PST

I was wondering if you ever received an answer to this question. I am interested in purchasing this TV and had the exact same question myself.

All Answers

Collapse -
My thought.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 29, 2012 7:19 AM PST

Compare warranties. Last time round, one won that area with ease. Let's hope they have the same deal today.

Collapse -
by Thossessess / January 21, 2013 3:46 AM PST

I had the same question, but ultimately purchased the ES7100 instead of the ES7150. While the picture on the television is great, I've had an issue with the Samsung logo flickering - they think it's a faulty part, but this is my second unit with the same issue and I still believe it to be a software bug (read more in my forum post). They asked to come out to my house and swap out what they believe to be the faulty part, but I don't want my brand new television ripped apart, that just doesn't sit well with me and I'd rather return it. If the logo is kept to 'Always On' there is no issue, so that's how I have it set.

My other question with the ES7100, which I'm going to ask for clarification on, is the micro-dimming - Is it Micro-Dimming Standard or Micro-Dimming Ultimate? Samsung's website states that the ES7100 has Micro-Dimming Ultimate; however, other literature states it's edge-lit with Micro-Dimming standard, so I'm not too sure. I think that's a big difference, since Ultimate would mean, according to what I understand, the entire panel is covered in LED zones; whereas, with Standard it is not. I was watching Ghost Rider on Starz this past weekend, and noticed the white Starz logo at the bottom right hand corner of the screen, when the scene would dim the white Starz logo would increase and decrease in brightness/whiteness (going bright white to a dull white) - it was obvious and a little annoying. Why couldn't it just stay at the same level of white brightness if it's supposedly zoned by a micro-dimming technology?

The ES7100 is on sale at Best Buy for $1,499, which is a great price. One last thing I want to throw out there - The Auto Motion Plus feature doesn't work well, in my opinion. There are certain shows that if it's enabled the show will skip and stutter every 20 seconds or so - upon disabling the feature it stops stuttering. Whether it's set to Clear, Standard, Smooth or any combination of the Custom Blur/Judder Settings, it will stutter on certain shows. I keep it turned off because I do not like that smoothing effect; but I would like to have the Blur effect enabled, but it still causes too much jerking around on certain shows. This is my first time owning a TV with this many options, but it seems to me Samsung needs to correct the Auto Motion Plus feature - In my opinion it should never cause a show to stutter and any excuse/reason as to why it does means to me you've got a root cause to identify the solution, so it should be fixed.

All-in-all, I'm a little disappointed with the television and Samsung's quality; I was expecting 100% satisfaction and not one bit of frustration. However, considering the price paid ($1,499) I'm going to keep it - I really love the thin bezel and thin panel - it's a beautiful set. One last suggestion, Samsung should also have much better explanations about what the picture settings do - To this day I still have no idea what LED Motion Plus does, even after getting two completely different response via this forum, and I've been switching it on/off repeatedly testing and scrutinizing it and it doesn't appear to do a darn thing to impact motion, clarity or screen dimming. Geez, the more I type the more I probably should've waited for the 2013 models Happy

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.