Cameras forum

Is the 18-55mm lens really needed

by cawahe / June 8, 2012 5:44 AM PDT

I want to purchase a Canon t4i but I don't know if i really need this 18-55 lens. I am thinking of getting the 50mm f1.4 and the 70-200 4L. Thinking of all this if i do get it with the kit lens i won't be using the kit lens much at all. Would i?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is the 18-55mm lens really needed
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is the 18-55mm lens really needed
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
What about wide angle and neutral?
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / June 8, 2012 12:36 PM PDT

With those two lenses you have nothing for wide angle or even neutral angle.
50mm will appear to be 80mm to the t4i (focal length times 1.6).
70-200 will appear to be 112-320mm to the t4i (focal length times 1.6).

A neutral angle (neither wide or telephoto) is considered to be 50mm.
For the t4i, you would need about a 35mm lens to cover neutral angle (35 times 1.6 = 56mm).

You should look at one of both of the new lenses Canon just introduced:

40mm and 18-135mm (the t4i will see them as 64mm and 28.8-216mm):

Collapse -
35 or 50
by cawahe / June 12, 2012 2:57 PM PDT

Should i get the 35 or 50mm?

Is the 50 like a telephoto? if i was taking a picture of someone across the a dinner table would it be zoomed very far in?

Collapse -
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / June 13, 2012 12:14 AM PDT
In reply to: 35 or 50

If you are using a "full frame" camera (like a Canon 5D), a 50mm lens is neutral (not wide angle and not telephoto)
A full frame digital camera has a sensor assembly that is approximately the same size as 35mm film.

If you are using a "half frame" camera (Canon T4i is a half frame camera) a 50mm lens will appear to be a 80mm lens (50 x 1.6 = 80).
Therefore it would be like using 1.6X zoom with a full frame camera.

If you want a neutral lens for a Canon T4i you should look for a 35mm lens.
That would give you a focal length of 56mm (35 x 1.6 = 56mm focal length).
That is about as close to 50mm you can get with available lenses.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.