Phones forum

General discussion

Is Sprint Good Or Bad?

by fairfield213 / April 12, 2008 10:36 AM PDT

Okay, i have sprint and it has it's ups and downs, but my mom wont let me switch and i want verizon so bad! Everyone says verizon is the best and sprint sucks and i have to agree. please tell me what you think so i can tell my mom how good or bad sprint is. Downs of Sprint: dropped calls, TERRIBLE service, my phone freezes all the time!, half of my text messages dont send. Ups Of Sprint: Unlimeted Texting is 70$ a month, free calling after 7 & on the weekends and that is it please talk to me!

-thanks for reading!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is Sprint Good Or Bad?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is Sprint Good Or Bad?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sprint Service Sucks!
by mtunion / April 12, 2008 11:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Is Sprint Good Or Bad?

I have had sprint for about five years now, and they just get worse and worse. Somehow, they keep signing me up for services I haven't requested, lose track of payment dates, turn off one of the two phones I have on my plan because "it's some sort of a glitch, sir...oh, wait...can you HAVE two phones on one account? let me check with my supervisor..."
So I hate sprint. I want to switch to AT&T so I can get the iphone, but when I called them, I just got to talk to another no-brained idiot. Oh well.

Collapse -
VERIZON TXTING PLAN
by azula333 / April 12, 2008 12:16 PM PDT

I agree that Verizon Wireless is by far the best wireless network in the USA.

I want to say that i have a $10 txting plan a month that allows me unlimited messages to anyone on any network (including pix and video messages). Verizon RULES! AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint SUCK!

Collapse -
Sprint PREFERRED!
by stevenbrown1950 / April 15, 2008 3:25 AM PDT
In reply to: VERIZON TXTING PLAN

my sprint text messaging works great and DOESN"T COST ME A DIME!
Yah, Sprint customer service is a drag when you end up overseas but i live with it for 2 reasons - i don't have to call that often AND the price of a SERO plan is so dang cheap! Hey, I am paying $50 for 1250 minutes with unlimited text and unlimited internet - COMPARE that to what you pay Verizon.

Collapse -
ur kidding urself
by redwoman521 / April 15, 2008 5:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Sprint PREFERRED!

You must be grandfathered in from an old calling plan.

Collapse -
For what it's worth
by Jimmy Greystone / April 12, 2008 12:42 PM PDT

For what it's worth, I've only had a cell phone for about a month now. Finally had to turn in my Neo-Luddite Revolutionary Army membership card when I also got a digital camera.

I've only had experience with Verizon and pretty limited at that, but I did do quite a bit of research before getting a phone. From everything I read, Verizon seems to have the most reliable and expansive network of them all. The catch is, they nickel and dime the crap out of you. Virtually every little service costs money. Downloading ringtones, sending text messages (unless you buy a separate data plan), sending pictures to people (with some phones, that's the only way to get images off the phone)... You name it, Verizon probably charges you for it. If they then use this money to maintain and improve their infrastructure, then it's probably worth it.

Of course, at some point, someone is going to have to explain to me the point of texting. I can see some limited use when you just need to send a quick message to someone, but this having whole conversations when you've got a bloody mobile phone RIGHT THERE, just baffles me.

Collapse -
T-Mobile
by cant_get_enough_tech / April 13, 2008 6:29 AM PDT

T-Mobile is the best. Even though Verizon is in the USA, T-Mobile happens to be a carrier in Europe too, so their roaming out of the country is fantastic. Also, being GSM, your SIM card could be put in practically any phone you want.

Collapse -
I have had them both!
by sellersce / April 13, 2008 12:58 PM PDT

I had Sprint for about 6 years and loved it! The only reason why I changed over to Verizon was because of a work discount. I hate Verizon! I can honestly say that I have not gotten any better reception with Verizon than I had with Sprint. Verizon nickels and dimes you to death I think that I could have gotten the same plan with Sprint for a little cheaper even without a discount. Verizon?s new every two year is truly that! You have to wait for a full tow year before upgrading your phone if you decide to do that before your two years is up you have to pay full price. At least Sprint gave you credit for part. Once my two year contract is up I am going back to Sprint!!

Collapse -
Long time with Verizon, thinking about switching
by dickcostello / April 14, 2008 7:52 AM PDT

I had Sprint way back in the day, like 1998, and switched over to VZ about that time. On the one hand, I've had fairly good luck with reception and whatnot, however, like others have said, they nickel and dime you. I really want to upgrade to a Blackberry Pearl and am seriously debating switching over to AT&T. I can get comparable plans for about $80 a month, but with AT&T, I would have unlimited data and email. It would be limited to 10mgb with VZ unless I drop $15 more a month for the unlimited plan. I would like to keep my cell bill well under $100 a month if possible, but maybe I should just sack up.

Does anyone have any input on this? AT&T Blackberry Pearl vs. Verizon Pearl?

Collapse -
t-mobile is going to get better.
by mao22 / April 14, 2008 6:11 PM PDT

well i agree with some of u guys. VZ is so expensive, but sprint is always getting ahead of everybody. i have tmobile for 4 years and i had some problems with the phones call but that was it. i know two people they have sprint and they were getting charge for going over their txt and phones. which that was not true. so overall if i were u i will swicht with another company especially the best fit for u and ur family. keep looking around and do more research about all the companies including discount, contracts and much more. so good luck for u and ur new carrie. Wink

Collapse -
One other thing
by Jimmy Greystone / April 14, 2008 11:10 PM PDT

One other thing that's important in choosing a carrier IMO... What carrier do most of your friends/family have? I think all the major carriers let you call people on the same network without it counting against your airtime allotment, unless you went with an unlimited minutes plan... So, of the people that you're going to spend the most time talking to, what carrier do they use? That's how I ultimately settled on Verizon. Out of the 4-5 people I'd likely be calling the most often, all but one had Verizon. Made my decision to go with Verizon pretty simple.

Collapse -
you sound like a teen?
by strykernyc / April 15, 2008 12:08 AM PDT

sprint is the best current network on the east side. And verizon is second. Why is verizon second? because the online content for sprint is much more richer and better in all sense including prices. Call quality for sprint and verizon are the same.
Most of you people that talk about drop calls have no idea what you are talking about. There is no such thing as a drop call anymore. if your experiencing drop calls/lost of signal then you most change ur phone or there is no signal in that spot where the call was drop. all cellphones company and cellphones have manufacture have digital roaming in every single phone now days. roaming is free for almost every plan, and when u have no signal the phone will switch to roaming and it doesnt matter if u got sprint verizon at&t or voicestream aka t-mobile. all the cellphone provider have contracts with each other that allow us to use any network when we dont have signal on a specific area. if u have no signal on ur phone then there is no signal in that area . or u need a new phone . I have had 90% of all cellphone companies out there and the best right is sprint and this is why I recommend sprint to the 765 employee in the company i work for.
here is my plan.
1500 mins free start at 7pm free sprint to sprint free first incoming min. Free unlimited internet, in other words for u noobs free text pic etc....I connect my treo via bluetooth to my laptop and browse the internet at almost boradband speed thanks to the amazing sprint network.
if u are one of the ppl who call customer service to ask stupid question then no wonder u are complaining so much. The only reason u should ever call customer service is when u really really truly have a problem that u cant fix at ur own. ex: error on ur bill, report lost or stolen phone. changing plan adding phone change personal info its all at the tip of ur fingers, u just need to think outside the box.

Collapse -
forgot to add the price
by strykernyc / April 15, 2008 12:09 AM PDT
In reply to: you sound like a teen?

my plan is $49 for alll thatttt!!!!

Collapse -
Um..
by Jimmy Greystone / April 15, 2008 1:55 AM PDT
In reply to: you sound like a teen?

Um, actually, there is such a thing as dropped calls. Every cell tower has a certain number of calls it can handle, and due to the way cell phones work, you can really only have so many towers in a given area. So, if you take for example, my visit to San Francisco a few weeks ago. My Hotel was within very close proximity to Market Street and the Civic Center. There were at least two big upscale shopping malls within a couple of blocks, not to mention the hundreds of people who are constantly going up and down Market Street all day, since it is one of THE central streets in that city. Everyone plus their dog has a cell phone these days, so out of the hundreds of people along Market Street at any given point during the day, a certain percentage of them are likely going to have Verizon as their carrier. It doesn't take long to do some quick math and see that it probably won't take long for the cell tower that services that area to be overwhelmed with calls. Once it reaches the saturation point, calls are subject to being dropped. Especially since most phones are set up so that they won't start roaming unless they can't find a tower from whatever carrier you're with. If you're in downtown San Francisco, you're likely never going to be roaming.

Also, since you say you work for a company... In the interests of keeping the unemployment rate from getting any lower. "Much more richer" is simply "much richer". "u" is "you", and "noobs" is not a word. "ur" in the context of almost every example from your post is "your". Also, "i" when alone, is always capitalized as it is a proper noun. And, silly me, I thought customer service was there to service me, the customer. You also come off as a bit hostile and confrontational. I suppose if you work as a trial lawyer that might be a good trait to have, but very few other professions could say the same.

Personally, I don't really need all this texting and Internet stuff. I just want a phone, that sounds like a phone when it rings, with good reception, sound quality, and battery life. I don't care about putting games on it, I don't care if I can play MP3s or even movies on it. If I'm traveling, I'll read a book if I'm bored in an airport, or I'll just wander around. I might rip copies of some DVDs and store them on my laptop hard drive to watch. I have an MP3 player for playing music, I have a Nintendo DS and Sony PSP for games... I'm not interested in looking pretentious and having my precious and highly conspicuous bluetooth earpiece. If they made a bluetooth headset that was no bigger than a hearing aid, no one would use them, because the whole point is for people to think you're a busy person.

All I want out of a cell phone is a highly portable cordless phone. There are a lot of people like me out there. I have some real cheap basic plan of 450 minutes a month, and I will barely put a dent in that most months. Not everyone has their cell phone glued to their head, or only takes out their bluetooth headset to shower. We just want a reliable carrier that has expansive service, so we can use our phone as a phone, end of story.

Collapse -
Your Post is Not Helpful - but I'm Still Choosing Sprint
by Im_Sum1 / August 14, 2010 3:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Um..

Your post was one of the most arrogant and obnoxious posts I?ve seen and was not at all helpful to this conversation.

I'm on this site to get a review of Sprint. I don't usually respond to posts. in fact this is my first ever. But your post was so over the top arrogant and rude that I feel the need to respond.

I can?t believe you?re really going to take the time to critique another persons? grammar and spelling and belittle people. Then you just have to get in why you?re above having a phone for gaming or mp3s because you?d rather carry multiple devices.

If your post is a true reflection of who you are, my guess is that you don't have so few minutes on your calling plan because, unlike the rest of the world, you "don?t need to have your cell phone glued to your ear". My bet is you need so few minutes because you?re a pretentious,judgemental *** with no one to talk to.

p.s. I'm going with Sprint everything plan and reserving the Samsung Epic 4G today. Happy I can't wait to get it!

Collapse -
What can you tell your mom
by stevenbrown1950 / April 15, 2008 3:27 AM PDT

Tell her you will pay the bill for the Verizon account.

Collapse -
Sprint's a keeper
by noramc / April 15, 2008 7:09 AM PDT

I've been with Sprint for almost 10 years and can honestly say that I have no problems with them. No problems with dropped calls or the service. So in a nutshell, everybody's opinion is relative. I am a gadget girl and require a lot from my phones & they produce. I've always found Sprint's plans to be a step better than the competiton. So I guess I'm not being helpful with you swaying your mom... Happy (Writing from my pink Centro)!

Collapse -
VW exp
by kpmagic / April 15, 2008 4:36 AM PDT

I have had Verizon Wireless for 2 years now.
So far so good.

I previously had ATT/Cingular. Have to admit that when they were Cingular, it was better. Once they added AT&T they inherited all the problems in regards to reception, dropped calls, and service issues.

The cons of VW are that the phones are not as nice as the other carriers. AT&T usually carries the nicest phones, but on the other side, they seem to have the worst service. I work in a hospital, and me and my coworkers noted that VW has the best reception compared to Tmobile, and ATT, not sure about sprint.

the other big con- VW is cheezy by removing standard phone items and installing their lame "navigator".

but I use my phone for what it is...calls, taking and sending a few pics/vids/ and text.

Collapse -
Sprint is a cellphone "mafia."
by mariaep / July 10, 2011 8:04 AM PDT

Sprint is the cellular carrier with the worst attention that I've ever seen. They trick you with insurance and contracts, and they don't let you leave, because once your contract ends they automatically start a new one without you knowing it. If you're thinking about joining this carrier, think twice. I do not recommend it.

Collapse -
Really??
by birdmantd Forum moderator / July 10, 2011 12:38 PM PDT

In the future, please pay attention to the dates of the posts you respond to. If you want to make a comment about a specific issue, you should start a new thread in examples like this.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.