Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

Is Rocket Tab malware?

by clamoreaux / November 23, 2013 12:38 AM PST

It claims to be a handy search enhancement for Chrome, IE, etc. But I find it an annoying group of hot links that pop on top of almost every web page I view. says it is easily removable, but it is not. It does not show up as a program in Control Panel nor in Chrome advanced settings.. Malwarebytes and Avast do not see it. Start search does not find it.

How do I kill it?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is Rocket Tab malware?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is Rocket Tab malware?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sorry, is that TabRocket?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 23, 2013 12:49 AM PST
In reply to: Is Rocket Tab malware?

Also, just like all extensions and add-ons you remove them as usual. I can't guess how this differs as I could not find Rocket Tab but did find TabRocket. I'd install it for a test run here but it's not a sure thing I'd get the right thing.

In parting, the only addons I install are WOT (web of trust) and AdBlock+.

Collapse -
What is malware?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 23, 2013 12:55 AM PST
Collapse -
Camouflaged, but found at last
by clamoreaux / November 23, 2013 12:39 PM PST
In reply to: What is malware?

I don't see it is adware, as I can see no additional ads when it runs. Just really helpful search suggestions. Well, maybe it is a subtle variety of adware.

However, I finally found and eliminated it. It is camouflaged.

When I go to Control Panel to uninstall it, it is listed under the name "BrowserSafeguard with Rocket Tab". In the B's, nowhere near the R's.

Collapse -
"BrowserSafeguard with Rocket Tab"
by IonDeSparrow / February 22, 2014 7:07 AM PST

I think that 2nd thumbs up is me too--clicked on it before I logged on. I had seen that program on the list but didn't realize it was the culprit. There was an install date prior to my receiving the computer, so I thought it had come with the machine. Interesting thing--maybe coincidence--I often visit a particular website to listen to old radio programs. For some reason this computer would not go there until I removed "BrowserSafeguard with Rocket Tab". There is also an item on my IE addons called "Savingsbull" I was able to disable it, but not remove it yet. Only my desktop is / was affected by these--my laptop does not show them and has been able to go to the website I mentioned with no problem.

Collapse -
Link only.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / February 22, 2014 7:10 AM PST
Collapse -
Also this.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / February 22, 2014 7:16 AM PST
In reply to: Link only.
Collapse -
by corinne046 / October 7, 2014 6:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Also this.

I decided to uninstall it, but when I went to do so, it said the publisher was Microsoft so I decided not to get rid of it. However, I don't really know
what it does on my computer, if anything, so I may just get rid of it. Just not
sure what to do with it .... is it really necessary to have on your PC or not.

Collapse -
How do you get rid of it?
by Bobster86 / August 28, 2014 10:48 AM PDT

When I did a scan, Malwarebytes did see it and isolate it. Afterward, I could not connect to the internet until I took all parts of it except the "uninstall" registry key out of quarantine. I couldn't remove it through the control panel as it didn't show up. I don't seem to have a problem, except that Malwarbytes will quarantine it again the next time I run a scan.

Collapse -
Keep scanning. Use all the free tools Grif notes at link.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 28, 2014 10:55 AM PDT
Collapse -
RocketTab Files for removal
by SteveJ_en / October 14, 2014 10:09 AM PDT

I have been searching for the solution to this annoyance. Finally, after giving up searching the usual places for running these virus-type adware programs, I started going through my Program Files directories.

I am running Windows 7, and found the files responsible for this RocketTab in: C:\Program Files (x86)\Search Extensions.

The files in this directory are:
Client.exe [which contains a Rocket icon]
config.dat [which is a text file containing the string at the end of this list]

and a directory: Resources

The config.dat file contains the text:

I won't say for certain that all the files and subdirectory is part of this adware, but I'm removing the whole lot just to be on the safe side.

Hope this is of use.

Collapse -
It's Worse Than You Think
by rogrdat / November 19, 2014 5:38 AM PST

I just found this on a couple of PCs. It uses the certificate utilities to create a trusted root as well as a personal certificate for every web site you visit. With those certificates it looks like it was able to insert itself in the middle of even secure/https sessions and see traffic the user thought was secure (including usernames and passwords).

I would suggest you delete any certificates created and change your passwords immediately.

Collapse -
My fix
by Bobster86 / November 19, 2014 8:39 AM PST

Since it infected my new machine, I created a new identity for myself and deleted the old one. That did the trick.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.